Product Feedback

Product Feedback

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. The reason beeing that Azure CLI and Azure RM commands are context sensitive in regards to subscriptions. If for some reason you have Azure Accounts with access to more than one subscription you might be unable to use scripting to manage those resources, since the Azure Acccount's default subscriptionId might not match the resource's subscriptionId.

My suggestion would be to just add a new field/setting/variable for all Azure resources that Octopus stores information about, where you already take care of the ResourceGroupName and treat it exactly the same.
    Azure provides the information in the same context at the same level,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. There should be a "table" view of tenants. Table columns should be customizable and and there should be the ability to filter. This way I can easily modify variables.

Lets say I have a variable indicating which web server my app is assigned to. And I get a new web server. I could look at this table, sort or filter on the web_server variable and assign tenants/apps to the new webserver.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tenants  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. I have successfully set up an AWS ECR package feed and can find the Helm charts I have pushed there when I test the feed. However, ECR feeds do not show in the dropdown for package source in the Helm step.

I also tried using the oci:// address of the ECR as a Helm Feed, but receive the message "Only 'http' and 'https' schemes are allowed. (Parameter 'requestUri’).”

It would be great to be able to use at least one of these as a source for the chart.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Use Case: we have used CloudFormation StackSets to deploy common resources to several accounts that are part of the same Org in AWS.

We are now developing a project in Octopus Deploy to deploy these resources and would like to have the ability to deploy CloudFormation StackSets instead of single Stack.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow running Execution Containers directly on a Kubernetes cluster without a configured worker.

The blog post here describes how to run workers on a Kubernetes cluster: https://octopus.com/blog/kubernetes-workers However, this approach has some challenges because it uses a long-lived container on the cluster to do the work.

It would be great if we could get an option to run ephemeral Execution Containers directly on a Kubernetes cluster without the need of a worker. Or, if instead of having long-lived worker containers on the cluster that directly run tasks, the workers only acted as a "broker", and tasks using that worker launched…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. The ability to use variables exists in so many different places when setting up Kubernetes deployments, but one place I would think would make the most sense is the container image name.

When creating step templates, I found this one field a barrier from allowing me to use the templates because we use that image name for checking logs for various debugging.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Currently if I have a user or team that is assigned the Tenant Manager role that is scoped to specific tenants they are unable to view any of the tenants they create. Instead they could create the tenant but would then need someone to add the new tenant to the role scope

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tenants  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. It would be nice if we could install our octopus instances as a PWA and integrate desktop notifications for things like deployment events, failures, and possibly manual steps needing approval

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Provide ability to reorder target environments in a lifecycle, just like you can reorder steps in a process. Currently, we have to delete all subsequent environments when adding a new environment, then re-add all those deleted environments. Being able to simply reorder these in the UI seems a quick win.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Both TeamCity and Jenkins have plugins that allow exporting opentelemetry data to any collector service supporting the OTLP protocol. It would be nice if Octopus Deploy also supported this as well, so we could get a full picture of the pipeline, and have metrics on time to deployment from commit to deployment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. We currently have files inside our git repository, in order to use them in Octopus, we have to create a build in jenkins just to zip it up and upload it to Octopus built in packages

It would be nice if we could just target my bitbucket repository instead of having to create jenkins builds, but more specifically GIT as that would support more than specific version control

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. We've had multiple teams running into this problem in their deployments/runbooks.

When starting up a long running process (i.e. Start-Process Some.exe), Octopus deployment step never completes until the process on remote target ends.

Currently, the recommended workaround is wrapping the server process in a Windows scheduled task.

As described here:
    https://help.octopus.com/t/long-running-console-applications/10408

It would be helpful if this functionality was added as out-of-box.

Thanks,

Ge

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. We have a case where we want to have a runbook to handle restoring Databases from different sources to different targets.

To handle this we have a form sheet with prompted variables.

But we also have the case where we want to do a restore daily to one of our databases. To do this we would need to be able set a trigger and also to set the prompted variables within that trigger.

I understand this can be done through the API currently but would rather see this in the UI.

My workaround for now is to duplicate the runbook…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When running a deployment and showing its status, specially on longer deployments, the TeamCity agents will be on hold for the duration of the task. On deployments where guided interruption is enabled this is specially taxing on agent licenses.

Since 2020.2.4 TeamCity has introduced agentless builds, where an agent can be detached during the execution of a build, and requires the running process to call TC back via api and inform the build has finished.

This is currently not possible on the plugin and, using powershell, I've found hard to establish the whole deployment status at X point in time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Hi team,

Our deployment usually happen in a short off business hour window. However, the Calamari update by default will happen on deployment time and it can sometimes take half hour to finish. Admittedly, we can workaround this by manual update or wrote and schedule our mock deployment. They all are not elegant enough. Please consider adding this feature in.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The audit log is made significantly more difficult to use as edits to a value (in my case, a variable in a variable set, but this likely applies to any array of objects) moves the updated value to the end of the array (deleting and recreating, I would guess).

Ordering the JSON by id before serialising it would make the audit log significantly easier to read, and thus more useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. A thought just occurred to me. Being able to pause for manual intervention after every step could be an option in the advanced settings of a deployment or runbook execution. This would assist in testing runbooks/deployment processes meaning you can check state at each stage. Maybe not a manual intervention, perhaps just a "next step" or "proceed" button or similar.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. in order to determine if a worker can safely be terminated it would be good to have a rest api for this. The closest thing we get today is this script https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctopusDeploy-Api/blob/master/REST/PowerShell/Workers/GetWorkersUsedInTasks.ps1 which uses string matching in task log output - very rudimentary, and with tons of failure modes.

I know there's a "worker lease" table, a rest api endpoint covering that table would be great.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Currently the estimated completion time is displayed in the Octopus UI. If I'm understanding the response I got on the support forms correctly that value is calculated in the client and not pulled from the server. It would be really useful that that value was calculated on the server and the estimated completion time was exposed as an Octopus variable.
    https://help.octopus.com/t/get-estimated-completion-time-programmatically/27375

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Deployments link to Worker View like what exists for deployment targets

Deployment target link path example: /app#/Spaces-1/infrastructure/machines/Machines-xxxx/deployments

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?