Product Feedback

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Cost of Azure App Service targets should be per-server, not per-service

Octopus Deploy penalises you for using PaaS resources over IaaS.

We currently use VMs which are capable of hosting many web services and only consume 1 deployment target on our licence. If you were to convert that same VM to an Azure App Service, you would consume far more licences for the same server power, which sucks.

e.g.

A single Virtual Machine hosting 15 web apps in IIS costs only 1 deployment target

A single App Service Plan hosting 15 web services costs 15 deployment targets

TL;DR; Azure App Service Plan should consume 1 deployment target regardless of how many…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Integrate PWA features and Desktop Notifications

It would be nice if we could install our octopus instances as a PWA and integrate desktop notifications for things like deployment events, failures, and possibly manual steps needing approval

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Reorder Lifecycle Environments

Provide ability to reorder target environments in a lifecycle, just like you can reorder steps in a process. Currently, we have to delete all subsequent environments when adding a new environment, then re-add all those deleted environments. Being able to simply reorder these in the UI seems a quick win.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Octo CLI Support on ARM

I would assume* it's mostly a case of adding linux-arm64 as a runtime argument.

Octopus is the /only/ thing that's preventing me from moving my TeamCity agents to Amazon t4g instances. I can accept that the plugin for TC maybe more involved but can we atleast get a build of the cli supporting ARM so that I can manually post manually to Octopus.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow running Execution Containers directly on a Kubernetes cluster

Allow running Execution Containers directly on a Kubernetes cluster without a configured worker.

The blog post here describes how to run workers on a Kubernetes cluster: https://octopus.com/blog/kubernetes-workers However, this approach has some challenges because it uses a long-lived container on the cluster to do the work.

It would be great if we could get an option to run ephemeral Execution Containers directly on a Kubernetes cluster without the need of a worker. Or, if instead of having long-lived worker containers on the cluster that directly run tasks, the workers only acted as a "broker", and tasks using that worker launched…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. TeamCity plugin agentless deployment

When running a deployment and showing its status, specially on longer deployments, the TeamCity agents will be on hold for the duration of the task. On deployments where guided interruption is enabled this is specially taxing on agent licenses.

Since 2020.2.4 TeamCity has introduced agentless builds, where an agent can be detached during the execution of a build, and requires the running process to call TC back via api and inform the build has finished.

This is currently not possible on the plugin and, using powershell, I've found hard to establish the whole deployment status at X point in time.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add schedulable Tentacle and Calamari Update

Hi team,

Our deployment usually happen in a short off business hour window. However, the Calamari update by default will happen on deployment time and it can sometimes take half hour to finish. Admittedly, we can workaround this by manual update or wrote and schedule our mock deployment. They all are not elegant enough. Please consider adding this feature in.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Order JSON before serializing

The audit log is made significantly more difficult to use as edits to a value (in my case, a variable in a variable set, but this likely applies to any array of objects) moves the updated value to the end of the array (deleting and recreating, I would guess).

Ordering the JSON by id before serialising it would make the audit log significantly easier to read, and thus more useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Pause for manual intervention after every step for testing deployments/runbooks

A thought just occurred to me. Being able to pause for manual intervention after every step could be an option in the advanced settings of a deployment or runbook execution. This would assist in testing runbooks/deployment processes meaning you can check state at each stage. Maybe not a manual intervention, perhaps just a "next step" or "proceed" button or similar.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. API to determine if worker is busy or idle

in order to determine if a worker can safely be terminated it would be good to have a rest api for this. The closest thing we get today is this script https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctopusDeploy-Api/blob/master/REST/PowerShell/Workers/GetWorkersUsedInTasks.ps1 which uses string matching in task log output - very rudimentary, and with tons of failure modes.

I know there's a "worker lease" table, a rest api endpoint covering that table would be great.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Infrastructure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Calculate estimated completion time on the server

Currently the estimated completion time is displayed in the Octopus UI. If I'm understanding the response I got on the support forms correctly that value is calculated in the client and not pulled from the server. It would be really useful that that value was calculated on the server and the estimated completion time was exposed as an Octopus variable.
    https://help.octopus.com/t/get-estimated-completion-time-programmatically/27375

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Deployments link to Worker View

Add Deployments link to Worker View like what exists for deployment targets

Deployment target link path example: /app#/Spaces-1/infrastructure/machines/Machines-xxxx/deployments

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Permission Audit view

We were recently audited, and asked to provide screenshots showing which users had "DeploymentCreate" permissions.

please add a new Permissions Audit screen that allows selecting one or more permissions and spaces, and then showing all users who have that permission.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Show ProjectId or SlugId in Project settings

Octopus-API/Octopus-Client works on Project Id or SlugId, However, there is no way to see these values in the web app. It would be intuitive if they are included in the project settings (albeit read-only) for usage across Octopus tools.

Usage:
    https://help.octopus.com/t/can-we-see-the-project-id-in-octopus-web-app

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Helm chart external feeds that support OCI

Amazon ECR supports pushing Open Container Initiative (OCI) artefacts to repositories. This includes Helm charts.

However, Octopus does not support pulling Helm charts from OCI sources.

I'd like to see this support added.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Schedule Runbook Trigger with set prompted parameters

We have a case where we want to have a runbook to handle restoring Databases from different sources to different targets.

To handle this we have a form sheet with prompted variables.

But we also have the case where we want to do a restore daily to one of our databases. To do this we would need to be able set a trigger and also to set the prompted variables within that trigger.

I understand this can be done through the API currently but would rather see this in the UI.

My workaround for now is to duplicate the runbook…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. when I choose “Create Release” and the lifecycle only runs in one place, the Save button should tell you it’s going to go ahead and run

when I choose “Create Release” and the lifecycle only runs in one place, the Save button should tell you it’s going to go ahead and run.

idk what you call this icon with the orange square and white lightning bolt

but when the lifecycle is in this state, the save button really means, “go ahead and run”.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow structured variabel replacement in the Upgrade a Helm-Chart step

This would be useful for replacing values especially in the values-file from Chart Package or Additional Package. With this feature we don't need to have variable replacement syntax in our source-files.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Deployment Email Preferences by User

Allow each individual determine what deployment emails they want to receive. Users on multiple teams, or large deployment teams, are bombarded with hundreds emails a day. Giving the user the ability to tell the system they only want to receive failures, or no emails at all, would provide a better user experience. Alternatively, if this is not possible, allowing the system to have a single designated email for deployment notifications. This would allow the users to designate something like a Teams Channel to receive the notifications, and cut down on the amount of emails being sent in general.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Upload artifacts via UI

Please add support for uploading artifacts also via the user interface.

Uploading reports/approval documents or other files to a release is currently not possible via an upload button. We have to do a workaround using a script that uploads files from a specific folder or using the API to attach files to a release.

Especially during Octopus approval steps people need to upload documents.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 70 71
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base