General

1. Add option to run Powershell script via -Verb runAs (i.e. right click, "Run as Administrator".)

We ran into this problem because as a part of our deployment process, we need to stop a service (which isn't a part of our deployment), clear a cached file that the service was holding onto (which IS a part of our deployment), and then restart the service.

Even though the Octopus tentacle has admin rights, and can start/stop a service via the control panel (i.e. log on as the Tentacle user, open the Services cmdlet, and you can start/stop services), to do so via a *Powershell* script requires you to right click on it and selected 'Run as Administrator',…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Copy Tenant variables from one Environment to another

For every Tenant + Project + Environment combination, there are Tenant variables to fill out. When adding an additional Environment that is to have similar variable values, or if you need to swap out the Environment for a different one, it would be nice to be able to effectively "copy" the Tenant variables from the existing Environment into the new one. Otherwise you are left to manually copy variables.

Sensitive variables could be tricky but hopefully doable.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support deployment of Azure Function projects

Support deployment of Azure Function projects

180 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add tenant tag to project link on a tenant

I would like to be able to add a tenant tag to a project link on a tenant. Our tenants have 2 projects associated with them QA and Dev. Currently when I use a tenant tag the QA tester using that tenant will get access to the feature the developer using that tenant gets. This will in most cases cause the deployment to fail because the QA tester for that tenant may be completely unrelated to the developers project.

If I could put tags on a project link it would allow me to say the developer using tenant 25 gets…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Version control configuration

This was originally raised at https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6186352-version-control-of-deployment-scripts and closed as completed with a solution of scripting the import/export tool.

Raising as a new suggestion as this has come up as few times in support calls and some people have suggested on the original thread that the import/export tool doesn't meet their needs. (Didn't want to reopen the original thread as some people are happy with the provided solution in that thread.)

"In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing…

555 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support Required Variables

It would be great if my deployment failed if a variable was not available in a particular environment. Currently I place a PreDeploy.ps1 with checks for particular variables (not empty) and I'm wondering if there could be a better experience for specifying that certain (or all) variables must be provided if they are used from PowerShell or elsewhere. We've had issues where our deployment went green but a variable was missing in a particular environment.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Disable the ability to indent with tabs when editing F#

Tabs aren't allowed in F# scripts yet the editor will allow you to insert them without warning. Would be good to either warn or better disable the entry of tabs for indentation when the F# language is selected

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Complete the step even thought deployment was cancelled

Sometimes, developers cancel the onging release deployment. In some cases, the deployment is interrupted in the middle of step execution and changes cannot be reverted easily afterwords. For example, there is one step to restore the database and run some cleaning sql queries. The deployment was cancelled right in the middle when powershell script turned the database in a single user mode and started to restore it. Deployment was cancelled and the database was left in that state. It was required manual intervention to login and revert changes.

My idea is to add possibility to mark the step as atomic…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow for specific files that were added by OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles, to be excluded in package

I cannot not use /p:OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles=True with MSBuild. This parameter is absolutely indispensable. It is not even an option.

However I do not want all the files in the build to be included in the package.

The nuspec file and the exclusions ability therein does not allow to exclude files that were added by OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles.

The effect of this is that I can’t use one of the best features of Octo : deploying to IIS.

Because of a few files that I can’t exclude from the build, I need to deploy to a folder, remove the files that I want, and…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow new IIS step to just create IIS resources without necessarily deploying a package

Currently the new IIS step (introduced in 3.4.7) allows you to create Sites, Apps and Virtual directories, but you always have to deploy a package.

It might be useful for some users to be able to take advantage of the IIS functionalities, without having a deploy a package.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/9702

231 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Automatic Logo Finder

This is a pretty trivial idea, but I like me some logos.
    I suggest on the settings screen when you pick a logo, that octopus could automatically do what I do manually.. and that is look up the twitter account that matches my project and the facebook account and... and show the logo/avatar of each, and let me pick one of those. (perhaps give the option to put a different name since sometimes the obvious name isn't the correct one)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Integration with Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams already has a pretty great list of connectors, but one big one is missing... Octopus Deploy!

I would like to be able to receive messages in a channel when a deployment is complete, or certain events happen.

199 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Apply rention policy to custom install directories

When deleting a release from a target machine according to retention policy, option to also delete the custom directory (and its contents) that release was installed to. This is for custom install directories that are named with {Octopus.Release.Number} as part of the name.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dashboard filter to show specific tenant

Be able to display tenant specific release/project information on Dashboard

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow the use of C# script (.csx) using .NET Core

ScriptCS will no longer be supported under .NET Core.

Please enable support for dotnet-script (https://github.com/filipw/dotnet-script) so that C# scripts can be executed under .NET Core

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Step for creating or updating a service in a Docker Swarm

As a DevOps Engineer, I would like to be able to create a new service, or update an existing service in a Docker Swarm using an Octopus Step.
    For this to work for us, we would need to assign or alter Networks, Secrets, Environment Variables, and HRM Labels.
    The commands involved would be "docker service create" and "docker service update"

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow named variable sets to be defined at the Project Group level and optionally shared between all projects in that group

Within a project group it would be good to be able to define sets of variables (like in the library) which can be optionally shared between any project in the same project group. This will allow variables to be shared between similar projects and will allow easy grouping of related variables.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow cloning of tenants

It should be possible to clone a tenant including it's current configuration in a similar way to that you can clone whole projects.
    Tenants tend to be similarly configured with only minor changes to each one so it would save time rather than having to configure each one from scratch.

145 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base