General

1. Deploy without storing a package or release

I want to use Octopus to deploy an application without having to store a nuget package or create a release for it. The reason for this is that some of my automated tests are end to end tests that I run against a deployment in my WiP environment. If these tests fail, I don't ever want to be able to deploy that version of the application. The best was I see to do this is to be able to directly deploy a package through Octodeploy. Once these pass I could potentially create a release from what I just pushed or…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I would suggest moving steps and related variables across projects with simple drop down. Similar to the way machine can be moved across pro

I would suggest moving steps and related variables across projects with simple drop down. Similar to the way machine can be moved across environments.

In our environment we add new steps and variables in a temporary project so as existing projects are not broken for the new steps. Once the development and testing is completed for the new step and underlying code is merged with baseline we move the steps from temporary project to one of the existing projects. This process is cumborsome where we have to create a new step in the destination project and copy all the settings…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Include Variable Libraries into other Variable Libraries

I love the new Libraries feature. I've been using it a lot to set up connection strings and api hostnames, etc. I've started declaring variables that interpolate other variables from a different library.

For example, let's say I have two different rabbit mq clusters, and I want to reference the hostname/username/password of one of them in a variable library for a shared component. Currently my only option is to include both libraries - the correct rabbit mq cluster library and the shared component library into a Project that needs them.

It would be the bees knees if I could just…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Specify PowerShell Version

Ability to specify version of PowerShell during script execution.

Currently tentacles use the default path, which is great most of the time! You could currently call PowerShell with a command line parameter but any scripts have to completely re-written to work this way, which defeats the simplicity of Ocotopus!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh847899.aspx

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide a static in-app URL to the last deployment to an environment

Via: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1041

It would be fantastic if there was a static URL to that last successful deployment. E.g. a (web) url like app#/projects/project-name/environment/previousversion

This would make it trivial to point our deployment team to the correct page for a rollback.

I realize that there are currently no static links to the current release by environment so this may be a separate enhancement.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Make OctoPack an developmentDependency

OctoPack is a build time tool not a project dependency.
    Adding the developmentDependency attribute will allow other tooling understand this.

see http://nuget.codeplex.com/workitem/1956 for more info on developmentDependency attribute.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Detect changes to deployed files

1. After deployment, create and store a small hash of all files extracted from the package. It should run at the end so that it includes any changes made to configuration files, and should only include files that existed in the original package.

2. During a health check, report whether any files on disk have changed when compared to the original hashes

The second part should be optional (or perhaps a different task that runs just daily and that can be disabled) since it can consume extra resources.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. project filters and search, compact grid view

we are estimating that in few months we will have 200 projects in octopus. This would be a nightmare to keep track both in dashboard and in all projects view.
    I would suggest to be able to filter projects be name, or seach for projects.
    Moreover it would be nice to have an option for a more compact project view (like a simple grid with thin rows)

It seems that current ui design for projects is only working for a relatively small amount of projects.

thanks

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Deploy to a specific" field should be an dialog with a list of servers

"Deploy to a specific subset of machines" field should be an dialog with a list of servers and checkboxes. You should be able to "Select All/None".

It will cover the cases when you have environment with many machines where you need to install all except one/two.

Now, you need to select it one by one, which may be pretty annoying when dealing with environment of dozens servers.

It does exists in some competitors products.

thanks.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Group order the Tasks page by Active, Queued, Recent

When I have many Queued tasks and then go to the Tasks page, I have to scroll down to see the Active task. I suggest the Tasks page be grouped by Active task, then Queued tasks, then Recent tasks.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. WCF endpoint replacement

If I have a WCF endpoint in my .config file, and an Octopus variable with a name that matches the name of my contract, auto-replace it (just like appSettings/connectionStrings replacement).

48 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add the option to disregard pre-release packages when creating a release by default

I noticed that when creating a release pre release packages show up in the latest column when their version number is the highest available.

Pre-Release version are usually used for (feature)branches, hotfixes or alpha/beta version of new major releases. All things that deviate from the regular release flow.
    I would prefer having to pick the special version using the specific version picker and only see the latest non pre-release version
    in the "latest" column on the "create release" page.

A simple checkbox to turn that feature on/off on the projects's settings page would do. That way you could set it…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add support for a tool library

Currently when we need some tools (sqlpackage.exe, sqlcmd.exe, some DLL...) to be present on the tentacle for our deployment script we create a NuGet package with the tool and have to manually add a Deploy Package step for each tool to deploy it in a standard path so we can then use them from PowerShell scripts/

It would be great to have a tool library:
    - we create a tool by specifying a NuGet package, a name and a description
    - in each steps (template steps or process steps) we can specify which tools is needed
    - when deploying the…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Configure environments per project

I have a project in Octopus that can only be deployed to 2 of my 5 environments. But since the environments are for all projects and I made a mistake once to deploy it to one of the un-deployable environments now my dashboard show that version XXX is in that environment (but it's dark yellow since there were no processes for it). It would be a nice feature to configure allowed environments per project.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Project Hierarchy

we have quite a lot of services and webs that we wish to be able to deploy separately. We also wish to set up bundles that deploy many of these at once. We have setup the bundles and it works like a charm. What we had to wait with is setting up all individual services and webs because it quickly became hard to get a good overview of the projects.

Take a peek at teamcity and their way of managing projects and see if there might be some improvements on this area.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/21785

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. add support for project specific environments, roles etc.

We intend using OD for multiple clients which have multiple environments each. It would be nice to be able to scope environments, roles etc to one or more specific projects or to have some kind of client scope.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Enable the user to define a default release behaviour for each step in a project

When creating a release the user is given three options to configure a package version for each step, Latest, Last, Specifc. The default is Lastest.

Allow the user to specify the package version default behaviour in each step.

The user could then ensure a package stays at a particular version without having to set the version each time they create a release.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Scope environment permissions to machine roles

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/662

When setting up a user in a team you can currently set Projects and Environments on the team, but if I setup a team as "Project Deployer" they do also get view access for all environments and machines, though they cannot do anything more then viewing.

I would very much appreciate if you could add in a "Roles" field as well in the team setup, so that the users in the team only can see the Environments (Machines) with the same Role.
    As default (If no Roles are specified) all Environments (Machines) should be visible.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. What-if mode

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/788

Sometimes tools that do expensive things will generate a list of this is what I would do if. Would be similar to the deploy button, but would validate variables in powershell, and would show what the expressions would be if it did run.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Ability to view Release snapshot of all variables

We need the ability to view all the variables in a release snapshot including those coming from step templates

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base