General

1. Scoping Variables to Only UI or Config files

I just set up a project where I created a variable called logfiles to use as a variable in a step template. I did that, and around the same time was looking at the documentation for how to do key/value pairs for web.config and I realized that I don't see a way to scope a variable to just configuration files or just the UI (or more intentionally NOT config files). My concern is that I will set a variable that ends up being a key in one of the config files and so I unintentionally update a value in the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Users without deploy privilege should be able to modify the variables controlling the deploy.

I.e. you can specify how a deploy is done, but someone else has to push the button.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Environment Activity Reports

It would be nice to add reports on environment activity, by project, by user, by day / week / month to be sent via email at some frequency.

Via: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/21168

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable a failure/success variable to be used in the email subject

We would like to create one step template that will send an email to the developers with the deploy result.
    It would be nice to have a variable like Octopus.Deployment.Result to include the deploy result in the Email subject.
    As far as I can see you can not use powershell or the if structures from the Email body?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add support for global script handling of Octopus events

As an Octopus user, it would be nice if we could write custom powershell scripts and associate them with global octopus events such as:

Octopus project deploy success
    Octopus project deploy fail

Could do cool stuff like notifications / logging in a central place instead of a step that must be included in every Octopus project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Improve web application detection by OctoPack

Currently, OtcoPack considers a project a web application if a web.config file is found in its root. My stand-alone ServiceStack service project needs to have such a file when working with Razor support to enable intellisense support in VS. The web.config is never deployed however but OctoPack now deploys the project in web-style. That is, copying all binaries to the 'bin' sub directory while they should really go into the root. See https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctoPack/blob/fa2bbe0ce4b489316e090bf35f4d7d74d1d3a92a/source/OctoPack.Tasks/CreateOctoPackPackage.cs#L463

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 'Clone project' option from 'Create project' screen

I want to create a new project, and have it cloned from another. I go to projects page and click "Add project". Nope. Doesn't give me clone options. I'm sure I've seen it so I start looking and eventually find it under the settings page for the project I want to clone from.

All the user should need to do is somehow find the way to "create project" and once there, all options in regards to creating projects should be available. No matter the "entry point"

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/20698

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. add the permission for a non-administrator to assign unassigned environments to a project

When an environment is not assigned to a project, we can assume it is newly added and thus a non-administrator could have created it. I would like it to be possible for a non-administrator to be able to assign it to a project.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Support ZIP(compression) of files/folders

Most of our deployments begin by first copying existing deployed files/code to another folder as a backup. This is required in case a quick rollback is required.

Would be nice if I could zip those files to save disk space.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Getting sign off/approval after a deployment completes linked to TFS

Octopus Deploy has the feature to allow getting sign off/approval after a deployment completes, which is awesome! It would be even more awesome if there was an integration between Octo and TFS, where Octo would be able to retrieve the backlog items from the changesets in the release, and show their acceptance criteria. Furthermore, linked test cases to each backlog item should also be displayed.

So something like a TFS acceptance test step, with child steps specifying each backlog item with their acceptance criteria. Then for each backlog item child step, assign child steps for the test cases linked to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Queue Viewer

We've had a couple issues where something in the Queue froze and stopped all future deployments. When it's a project that seizes up, we can cancel it, however when it is an internal task (e.g. Tentacle Health Check), the only way to fix the issue is go into Raven Studio. I know I can see the completed tasks, but I would like to be able to view the queue, and perhaps cancel jobs from there as well.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Have a textarea for "notes" when promoting a release to an environemnt

In our setup, TeamCity creates and deploys a package to the "Test" environment. Then upon approval, a specific package will be promoted (by a human) to higher level environments (i.e. QA and Prod).

We need to write notes when doing so. i.e. Who approved it, etc.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Display package author in website

I use powershell to determine information from TFS/VSO to store in the nuspec before octopack does its work. One of the values I set is the author of the package is the person that committed the build. Unfortunately this is not displayed in the library of the website.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Octo.exe create-release command line to specify an alternative NuGet feed than the one(s) indicated on the steps of a project.

Allow Octo.exe create-release command line to specify an alternative NuGet feed than the one(s) indicated on the steps of a project.

We have a DEV feed which is used for all development builds and development deployments. Due to circumstance beyond our control, we cannot have our development environment match all other environments close enough to want to promote releases from development.

We have a MAIN feed that is for all other environments (QA, TRAIN, PROD).

The problem we have is that a deployment step is tied to a specific NuGet feed. This means having to maintain two versions of a…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Machine Variables

I do know that this can be accomplished in other ways, however, there are some scenarios where machine variables could be useful. For example, imagine I want to set the machine's IP addresses to use in a deployment script.

Via: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/2420-machine-variables

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Batch add or remove roles to servers

Adding or removing roles from clusters of servers that are 30+ servers is a pain to do one by one. it simply takes forever.

It would be fantastic if I could mark all the servers that I need to manipulate roles on have one dialog box open. Add and/or remove the roles I need to change. When pressing OK my job is done: I've successfully added the 'awesome' role to 30 servers in less than 1 minutes.

Also this would make my management work less error prone as today I might have missed a server or two in the process.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Deploy without storing a package or release

I want to use Octopus to deploy an application without having to store a nuget package or create a release for it. The reason for this is that some of my automated tests are end to end tests that I run against a deployment in my WiP environment. If these tests fail, I don't ever want to be able to deploy that version of the application. The best was I see to do this is to be able to directly deploy a package through Octodeploy. Once these pass I could potentially create a release from what I just pushed or…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. I would suggest moving steps and related variables across projects with simple drop down. Similar to the way machine can be moved across pro

I would suggest moving steps and related variables across projects with simple drop down. Similar to the way machine can be moved across environments.

In our environment we add new steps and variables in a temporary project so as existing projects are not broken for the new steps. Once the development and testing is completed for the new step and underlying code is merged with baseline we move the steps from temporary project to one of the existing projects. This process is cumborsome where we have to create a new step in the destination project and copy all the settings…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base