General

1. Allow an Agent to auto disable/enable on machine shutdown and startup

We are using Azure Autoscale for virtual machines, when our machines startup and shutdown they need to be disabled in the octopus server to prevent deployments from hanging because some of the enabled agents are not running.

Another factor of supporting auto scale would be to ensure a newly started machine has the currently deployed version of an application deployed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for searching where a defined value is used

It is also important to be able to search where variables are used.
    If you for example refactor the way variables are defined, it is very hard to see if a definition has become obsolete.

I think an optimal way to implement this could be to add a link by each variable telling how many places they are used, and if you click it, you get a list to navigate to the different locations the variabel is used.

If you look for a more advanced way of solving this, I believe the fundamental problem is, that some variabels are to…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Associate variables to environments

I'd like to be able to 'tag' an environment with one or more variables and then be able to use these variables in my release process.

My specific use case is that I'm deploying to Azure and want to set the slot based on the environment being deployed to (Production or Staging). This works nicely with the use of #{Octopus.Environment.Name} if my environments are specifically named "Production" and "Staging", but I'd like to be able scope my environments to project groups and this requires them to have unique names. So I name my environments something like "<project>-Production" and "<project>-Staging", unfortunately…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pack and Go

Add an option to create a deployment package just like a zip file with parametrizable powershel script file and all packages as a single setup step for non-octopus driven deployment from the deployment steps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Ability to group and scope Step Templates to teams and users

When making use of the step template feature and working withing a large organisation with multiple teams, all teams see the step templates in their list (making it very large) when the steps arent relevant for them. It makes it quite chunky. It would be great if you could limit step templates to teams or users and thus keep the lists smaller.

Or having a way to group them, expand/collapse or be searchable would be a bonus or alternative to this feature

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3076

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. indicate if a release had skipped process steps

we want to quickly identify if a release had skipped process steps.

Some kind of icon or status color.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Decorate overridden config file settings with an Octopus tag (or something)

Some of our services have large config files and we will allow some settings to be defaulted (not configured through the Octopus UI) and others must be configured. I would like a Project Level setting to be included that if enabled would decorate the deployed config file with some indication that Octopus overrode the setting. This would help tremendously to be sure which settings were defaulted and which were set by Octopus.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow toggling of the rolling deployment based on environment

We would like to have the best uptime in our production environment, so we use rolling deployment. In QAT, though, we don't care about uptime. It would be nice to have the rolling deployment option be chosen based on environment

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Pre-release filtering of NuGet packages

Via @palfrey at https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1024

As per Semantic Versioning 2.0.0 point 9 (see http://semver.org/spec/v2.0.0.html), pre-release versions can be denoted with a hyphen and an identifier after that. We're currently using pre-releases for testing versions, but the problem is that they get mixed up with the release versions.

I would like (as mentioned on #816, but not dealt with there) a toggleable filter for pre-release versions, either in the package selection box when making a release, and/or when specifying the package name when making the NuGet step.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Use (relative) time for today's deployment on dashboard

It would be useful to see something like '5 hours ago' or '1 minute' ago instead of today's date.
    Especially if you have multiple deployments a day.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. NuGet version wildcards for releases

We use the built-in NuGet repository and when deploying projects we normally have 2-3 applications deployed per project.

We would like to be able to specify wildcards on the NuGet package versions so we can group them and just get the latest version in the group per application. I have attached a screenshot of the requirement

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/2815

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to bulk enable/disable all PCs in an environment

It will be really helpful to be able to enable/disable PC/Tentacle environment wide.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Better guidance for TFS users

Provide some really good guidance to help people use TFS and Octopus together.

112 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable --packageversion over TeamCity Plugin

Via @DerAlbertCon at https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1063

It would be nice if it may possible to set the --packageversion for octo.exe over the GUI.

Currently i do this with additional parameters, but i would be nice if i can easy choose like

latest

same as releaseversion
    userdefined

I stumbled over a problem that it was not directly visible that the latest version from nuget will be taken, it took me a while the get this and how to change that.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Create task templates in library

Currently we are able to execute custom powershell scripts on selected machines from the tasks page.

It would be nice to have templates with parameters here, so we can provide some tools to people that do not know powershell.

For example we need to manually stop windows service on selected machines - we could create task template "Stop Service" with service name as parameter, so everyone could just enter name of the service and select machines to execute on, without writing "if (get-service ...) {Stop-Service ...}" and other more complex things.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow option to set or override variable values from within a Manual Intervention step

While we make great of environments and machine roles for our production servers and devices, we still find it difficult to manage certain test scenarios without having to maintain a very large collection of test environments in order to mimic each distinct production environment. It would be nice to have an option, at the deploy time, to override or set certain variables, allowing a single test environment that can be dynamically configured to use various settings.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. allow reply-to address to be set for the email step

The current (2.5.4) email deployment step allows configuration of To, CC and BCC fields. It would be useful to be able to specify a ReplyTo address so that any replies go somewhere useful.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add ability to specify a minimum powershell version for a step template

Step template should not run if minimum power shell version is not met.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Variables in NuGet package ID per enviroment

It would be great if the NuGet package ID could contain a variable that was resolved on a per environment basis instead of only once when the deployment is created.

We have the same process for each client with a different installer and out current solution has been to package them all into single NuGet package and then grab the correct one on a per environment basis with a powershell step.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base