General

1. Show Project Groups Everywhere

We use Project Groups to categorize our projects, but a lot of them have very similar names. When looking at Teams, as an example, the project selection only shows the project name without any grouping. When the project list is large, it gets difficult to make sure the correct one is selected. It would be nice if the group was included to help organize the projects, the way the main project menu works. The same thing would also be helpful in the breadcrumbs when navigating inside a project and really everywhere the project is displayed or selected.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow insert variables panel to be resized

Make it possible to manually resize the insert variable panel.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/849

Because a lot a Octopus variable names has long characters, I can't see the entire name of almost of variables in the 'insert variable' panel. Is it possible to allow to grow the panel manually? Or provide a fullscreen mode will be a good idea.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Integrated web file manager for servers

Hello

I find it important to check the actual contents of the folder i am deploying to, in order to be sure that everything worked as expected.
    Wouldn't it be great to have an embed file manager to see the folders and the files of the server you are deploying to?
    Every server, every environment, every project, with user management, and permissions...

this would come in handy, even without deploying something really, just checking files, altering something in servers, without having to remote desktop, or use ftp etc. All centralized.

thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let Tentacle upgrades download the Tentacle package from the internet

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/771

It would be nice to be able to specify if tentacle upgrades should be downloaded from the octopus server, or from the official octopus site.

Upgrading a bunch of tentacles at remote locations at once can hammer a single ADSL connection, though I'd assume the Octopus servers would be better set up to serve the upgrades, especially if they're on a CDN or similar.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Export configuration for documentation

Make it possible to generate documentation (HTML or Word perhaps?) based on the current configuration. This might be:

- All deployment steps
    - All environments and machines

The documentation should be readable, i.e., here's what's going to happen rather than a JSON dump. Imagine a document you could give to a sysadmin to follow to perform the deployment manually.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add a filter to find/search old releases

Currently it is necessary to page back through the releases list to find one by release number.

Using a text filter rather than specific version search would enable e.g. SemVer release prefixes to be searched/targeted.

Via @readyroll

Perhaps we should just implement a global search?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Prompt to add dependent variables to a project when including library variables

If I have a variable set like:

| ClientEndpoint | http://#{ClientAppName} |

...and I include it in a project that doesn't define ClientAppName I'll get a prompt like:

"Hey, you've included a variable set that depends on a number of variables, which aren't currently defined. For example: ClientAppName, ..... Would you like to add these to your project variables?"

Providing a checklist to exclude any that might be coming from elsewhere seems like a necessary UX requirement.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Display just the variables applied to a release on the release's page

The Variables section a Release page appears to show all variable that apply to the release, would it be possible for any variables which are obviously being overwritten to be omitted from this list?

As an example, if I have a variable in a Library which is being overwritten by this particular project, at the moment both will appear in this list.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Make project names non-unique per project group

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/445

Current project names must be globally unique. Change the rule to make it possible to have projects with the same name in different project groups, but not in the same group.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Show depoyment status on the favicon

It would be awesome if the favicon could change in some way to reflect the status, this enables me to browse other sites and still keep in view the in-progress, success, fail status of a deployment.

When on the dashboard it could reflect an aggregate status.
    When on a Project page the favicon chould reflect that project (or both project and aggregate status)

example: https://status.github.com/

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Queueing deployments

How about introducing the option of queueing deployments? Queues will solve the VPN issue in a multi project/environment.

To prevent any misunderstandings, our environment is like this:

Project 1, 3 and 4 is deployed to servers hosted by our company.
    Project 2 is deployed through VPN to a server hosted by another company.

The case we need to solve is to prevent failure when:
    1) project 2 set up a VPN, and starts deploying.
    2) project 1 initiates a deploy while project 2 is still running. This will fail project 1s deploy since the local environment is unavailable (until the…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When adding a new Machine, check that the Thumbprint of the new machine does not already exist

We utilize Amazon AWS instances heavily and take a lot of Snapshots. Recently I've discovered that if I add a create a new AWS instance based on a Snapshot of a machine that has a Tentacle already installed, when I add that Machine (via Hostname) to the Octopus Server, the Octopus Server will not warn me that there already exists a Machine with the Same Thumbprint.

This has caused a problem since Octopus seems to utilize the Thumbprint as an Identifier when deploying and I've accidentally deployed Code to the Wrong machine since the machine I was trying to Deploy…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Configure Default Deploy Options

It would be nice if you were able to configure defaults for deploy options. Currently they are all false by default. I never really had a need to check any on a regular basis until Guided Deployments are introduced but now I find myself checking this option with every deployment, which isn't optimal. I'm not sure if it would be best to be able to configure these on a per project level or perhaps project group level but it would be nice to configure their defaults somehow.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Upload attachments to manual build steps

Would be cool to be able to upload documents (e.g. test reports, approvals etc) to a manual build step and have these stored against a release for traceability and audit purposes.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Implement a full nuget server (support for VS integration) with caching and plugin-arhcitecture to support data retention

Implement a full nuget server (support for VS integration) with caching and plugin-arhcitecture to support data retention.

This could perhaps be a seperate product. The key is that it should supports internal hosting, is fast, manageable and queryable via an API.

Yes we can look at the Nuget Server source code and build it ourselves, however managing open-source package deltas is not part of our core duties

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Ability to set appSettings and connectionString values that don't exist already

I make extensive use of appSettings values in my app, but I do not want to include every single value that can possibly be set in my source repository. I would like Octopus Deploy to allow me to set appSettings and connectionString values that will get inserted into the config if they don't exist already.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Guided Failure Mode

The guided failure mode is a very nice feature and we use it a lot. One improvement that our Ops guys would like is better visibility on when a failure occurs.

For example, we have 30 steps and as the deploy is progressing the top of the page is not visible.So, when a failure occurs that needs to be addressed you don't really know about it until you scroll to the top, because when the top of the page is off the screen there is nothing that indicates a problem.

The only way you know there's an issue is by... …

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Export per environment/project release calendar (ical)

It would be nice, if it is possible to export all release dates to an iCal export.
    This would allow to bind those release to Outlook or any other systen supporting iCal.

Currently we would like to have the export per environment but could imagine, it's also very common to have a per project view. The item must not include that many details:
    - Time of release
    - Release name
    - Project
    - Environement
    - Link to octopus release page
    - Maybe owner?

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Show the total duration for a task when the log is collapsed

When collapsing a log entry/header for a task it would be great if the total duration was displayed. That way it would be easy to spot slow tasks in a full deployment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Global deploy.ps1 or have a tentacle deploy.ps1

We have created a deploy script that we use as standard on all of our projects. However we do have to include it in all of our projects. The only difference is the variables we pass to each project.

It would be great if deploy.ps1 could live on the tentacle and execute that if the project doesn't have one. Or possibly chain them, tentacle executes its deploy.ps1 (if one exists - maybe a project option to skip it), then execute the project level deploy.ps1 (if one exists).

This would save us time having to include it (ok its not a…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base