General

1. usability - icon to edit project group from "projects" drop down

If I want to edit a project group, I must first navigate to the "all projects" overview page. Would be nice to just have an edit icon in the "Projects" dropdown for easier access.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Manage VPN connections

Make it possible to put machines into a VPN connection, and have Octopus manage the closing/opening of the connection so that concurrent deployments don't result in closed or hanging connections.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Tag deployment process steps in list if they need to be updated

On the process tab it would be really great to already there see if a step needs to be updated because the underlying script has changed.

Also it really simplifies the configuration work if its possible to just click a button "Update all steps" which does exactly that..

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow using the same transforms for different environments

Octopus Deploy uses the Environment Name to select which configuration transform files will be applied. Say, for an environment with name "Dev", Octopus Deploy will automatically select Web.Dev.config from each nuget package.

I would like to be able to specify the 'configuration name' used by an Octopus Environment instead of using the default convention of using the Environment name, so I could have two different Octopus Environments, say "Dev1" and "Dev2", using the same configuration transforms, ie "Web.Dev.config".

The goal is to be able to deploy different releases to two identical environments without having to duplicate (identical) transformation files just…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Service to bridge Tentacles to allow jumping between networks

Imagine an environment where people normally RDP to a VM in a kind of "DMZ", in order to then be able to access other machines in the network. The VM might have two NIC's - on on the same network as the Octopus server, the other on the same network as the Tentacles that we want to deploy to.

If we had a bridge service that allowed us to "hop"/"jump" between networks, so that Octopus could send commands to the bridge that are ultimately destined for the Tentacles, it would make it possible to deploy across these disparate networks.

In…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. fallback on the instance count for Azure deployment

Today if I select to have the instance count use the count from the Azure management portal and an instance isn't pushed yet (if I had deleted it for example) then it will fail and I have to go in an set it to the value from the config file and then switch back to use Azure mgmt. I'd prefer that it would fallback to the config file if it's not deployed in Azure yet.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Octopus variable for Deployment Start Time for scripts

For PowerShell scripts it would be good to know the deployment start time.

This way later scripts can report how long a deployment took up to that point.

(A current workaround is to have a script run at the start that sets a variable for later use by other steps)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option to remove default website

If I create a new machine with a new IIS, it comes with a 'default' website.
    Now of course, no one uses that default website, so I would like it completely removed if present.

So, I would like an option to have that done. If not, it likely creates binding issues when the actual site is deployed.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/518

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a Manual Intervention Counter Sign feature

It would be nice if when adding a manual intervention step I could select an 'Anyone but Deployer ' option that would mean that anyone except the person doing the deployment could approve a deployment.

It might also be cool to have a generate captcha option, so that the user has to fill in a google captcha before they can approve the continuation of the deployment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Show Project Groups Everywhere

We use Project Groups to categorize our projects, but a lot of them have very similar names. When looking at Teams, as an example, the project selection only shows the project name without any grouping. When the project list is large, it gets difficult to make sure the correct one is selected. It would be nice if the group was included to help organize the projects, the way the main project menu works. The same thing would also be helpful in the breadcrumbs when navigating inside a project and really everywhere the project is displayed or selected.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow insert variables panel to be resized

Make it possible to manually resize the insert variable panel.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/849

Because a lot a Octopus variable names has long characters, I can't see the entire name of almost of variables in the 'insert variable' panel. Is it possible to allow to grow the panel manually? Or provide a fullscreen mode will be a good idea.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Integrated web file manager for servers

Hello

I find it important to check the actual contents of the folder i am deploying to, in order to be sure that everything worked as expected.
    Wouldn't it be great to have an embed file manager to see the folders and the files of the server you are deploying to?
    Every server, every environment, every project, with user management, and permissions...

this would come in handy, even without deploying something really, just checking files, altering something in servers, without having to remote desktop, or use ftp etc. All centralized.

thanks

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Let Tentacle upgrades download the Tentacle package from the internet

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/771

It would be nice to be able to specify if tentacle upgrades should be downloaded from the octopus server, or from the official octopus site.

Upgrading a bunch of tentacles at remote locations at once can hammer a single ADSL connection, though I'd assume the Octopus servers would be better set up to serve the upgrades, especially if they're on a CDN or similar.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Export configuration for documentation

Make it possible to generate documentation (HTML or Word perhaps?) based on the current configuration. This might be:

- All deployment steps
    - All environments and machines

The documentation should be readable, i.e., here's what's going to happen rather than a JSON dump. Imagine a document you could give to a sysadmin to follow to perform the deployment manually.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add a filter to find/search old releases

Currently it is necessary to page back through the releases list to find one by release number.

Using a text filter rather than specific version search would enable e.g. SemVer release prefixes to be searched/targeted.

Via @readyroll

Perhaps we should just implement a global search?

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Prompt to add dependent variables to a project when including library variables

If I have a variable set like:

| ClientEndpoint | http://#{ClientAppName} |

...and I include it in a project that doesn't define ClientAppName I'll get a prompt like:

"Hey, you've included a variable set that depends on a number of variables, which aren't currently defined. For example: ClientAppName, ..... Would you like to add these to your project variables?"

Providing a checklist to exclude any that might be coming from elsewhere seems like a necessary UX requirement.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Display just the variables applied to a release on the release's page

The Variables section a Release page appears to show all variable that apply to the release, would it be possible for any variables which are obviously being overwritten to be omitted from this list?

As an example, if I have a variable in a Library which is being overwritten by this particular project, at the moment both will appear in this list.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Make project names non-unique per project group

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/445

Current project names must be globally unique. Change the rule to make it possible to have projects with the same name in different project groups, but not in the same group.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show depoyment status on the favicon

It would be awesome if the favicon could change in some way to reflect the status, this enables me to browse other sites and still keep in view the in-progress, success, fail status of a deployment.

When on the dashboard it could reflect an aggregate status.
    When on a Project page the favicon chould reflect that project (or both project and aggregate status)

example: https://status.github.com/

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base