General

1. What-if mode

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/788

Sometimes tools that do expensive things will generate a list of this is what I would do if. Would be similar to the deploy button, but would validate variables in powershell, and would show what the expressions would be if it did run.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to view Release snapshot of all variables

We need the ability to view all the variables in a release snapshot including those coming from step templates

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Enhance the "IIS web site and application pool" feature to allow setting the IIS site ID

The .net SessionState provider uses the IIS site ID as part of the key used to access a session when working in out of process mode. If you are running a site in a webfarm these ID's need to be kept in sync with each other otherwise as requests bounce around the servers a different session will be accessed.

It's probably not a big issue as more complex set up's will probably be using custom set up scripts but I think it'd be a very easy feature to add.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Show more NuGet package metadata in Octopus

In places where we show NuGet packages (release page, library), show extra metadata like the project URL and icon.

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/2383

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to restrict deployments on certain days and/or between certain times

It would be nice to be able to restrict deployments to certain environments ( for instance the production environment) from being able to happen on certain days/times. IE only at weekends or only after 8pm

At the moment I use a powershell script which just throws an exception which stops the deployment but it would be nice to have this built in. Especially if it could be linked with the "Schedule a Deployment" idea. Then if someone tried to deploy it could say unable to deploy at this time do you want to schedule for the next available time.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. custom colors for roles and support for assigning Font Awesome icons per role

As we continue to find more ways to use Octopus, we've increased our usage of the roles feature. This serves the dual purpose of filtering variables/steps as well as being visual indicators on machine configurations when viewing the Environments page. It would be really helpful if we could assign a custom color to each role to make items stand out and faster to identity beyond using a naming convention. Even better would be the option to also assign an icon, which I think Font Awesome would be a great option. http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add link to application instance in dashboard

It would be nice if we could define a variable that is shown as a link for each application instance on the dashboard.
    What I mean is, that instead of just showing the version number, date and status it would be nice to have a link that points to the website (or whatever url we want) that got defined in the variables for the product.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Wizard to configure user account for Octopus/Tentacle Windows Service

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/863

Octopus Manager and Tentacle Manager should make it easy to configure the Windows Service to run under a custom user account.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Create a step template that applies config transformations

Have an entry field that accepts the same sort of content as is seen in the transform window here: https://webconfigtransformationtester.apphb.com
    as well as maybe a file pattern/name to match the transformation to.

This way one can avoid building multiple instances of an application, one for each build configuration (environment), transforms don't happen at build time and can take place as part of a deployment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for AppHarbor

I would be really cool if there was a deployment step for AppHarbor.

AppHarbor has a build API that will let you pass the SHA you want built.

Not sure how to best implement it, but having Octo control my AppHarbor
    deploys would def be nice.

Source: UserVoice Support Ticket 281

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Enable one to be able to iterate a list of last installed directory paths for steps in project

Create an Octopus variable that contains the last installed directory paths for the steps in the project. This becomes useful if you have one step that deploys and another that works on the previously deployed step, but for some reason you deployed one set of steps first and later the remaining steps.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. usability - icon to edit project group from "projects" drop down

If I want to edit a project group, I must first navigate to the "all projects" overview page. Would be nice to just have an edit icon in the "Projects" dropdown for easier access.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Tag deployment process steps in list if they need to be updated

On the process tab it would be really great to already there see if a step needs to be updated because the underlying script has changed.

Also it really simplifies the configuration work if its possible to just click a button "Update all steps" which does exactly that..

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow using the same transforms for different environments

Octopus Deploy uses the Environment Name to select which configuration transform files will be applied. Say, for an environment with name "Dev", Octopus Deploy will automatically select Web.Dev.config from each nuget package.

I would like to be able to specify the 'configuration name' used by an Octopus Environment instead of using the default convention of using the Environment name, so I could have two different Octopus Environments, say "Dev1" and "Dev2", using the same configuration transforms, ie "Web.Dev.config".

The goal is to be able to deploy different releases to two identical environments without having to duplicate (identical) transformation files just…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Service to bridge Tentacles to allow jumping between networks

Imagine an environment where people normally RDP to a VM in a kind of "DMZ", in order to then be able to access other machines in the network. The VM might have two NIC's - on on the same network as the Octopus server, the other on the same network as the Tentacles that we want to deploy to.

If we had a bridge service that allowed us to "hop"/"jump" between networks, so that Octopus could send commands to the bridge that are ultimately destined for the Tentacles, it would make it possible to deploy across these disparate networks.

In…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. fallback on the instance count for Azure deployment

Today if I select to have the instance count use the count from the Azure management portal and an instance isn't pushed yet (if I had deleted it for example) then it will fail and I have to go in an set it to the value from the config file and then switch back to use Azure mgmt. I'd prefer that it would fallback to the config file if it's not deployed in Azure yet.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Octopus variable for Deployment Start Time for scripts

For PowerShell scripts it would be good to know the deployment start time.

This way later scripts can report how long a deployment took up to that point.

(A current workaround is to have a script run at the start that sets a variable for later use by other steps)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option to remove default website

If I create a new machine with a new IIS, it comes with a 'default' website.
    Now of course, no one uses that default website, so I would like it completely removed if present.

So, I would like an option to have that done. If not, it likely creates binding issues when the actual site is deployed.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/518

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add a Manual Intervention Counter Sign feature

It would be nice if when adding a manual intervention step I could select an 'Anyone but Deployer ' option that would mean that anyone except the person doing the deployment could approve a deployment.

It might also be cool to have a generate captcha option, so that the user has to fill in a google captcha before they can approve the continuation of the deployment.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base