General

1. Apply desired state to environments

On the environments page, enable desired state configurations to be created and applied to roles. The desired state could be achieved using script templates (similar to deploy process). The desired state could be applied on a schedule or on drift.

There would need to be a way of updating the desired state configuration when something is modified in the deploy process ie. adding a new web site.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Display package versions in addition to project release versions on the dashboard

In addition to displaying the project release version on the dashboard, it would be nice to see the associated package versions as well.

e.g.
    Dashboard
    Dev
    myServices 1.0.1 (myWebservice1.0.2 + myWindowsservice1.0.3)

At present, if you want to find out what package version is associated to a project release you need to drill into the project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. What Happened to Blue Green Deployment?

There has been discussion about having support for Blue Green Deployments be a first class feature in OD. http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/239-blue-green-deployment
    I think it was even started in a previous release, but pulled out. Any chance it may come back in?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide gate between project deployments based on version

It would be great if we could have a gate to deployments where project B cannot be deployed to an Environment unless Project A v2.0 has already been deployed to that environment.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3535

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a simple cache to the NuGet respotories

Unfortunately, I am forced to work with a very slow NuGet feed and the more packages I upload the slower Octopus is at retrieving them when creating a deploy. Fixing the speed of this is out of my control.

It would be great if you could do some very simple caching to speed this up. Or can you simply limit the number of versions you get from the feed?

Anything to speed up this up would be fantastic.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show OS and Powershell version for each tentacle host

We have numerous Windows servers running the Ocotpus tentacle service. These servers are running various versions of Win2008, 2012 and powershell. Different Octopus powershell scripts have different minim powershell versions so it's important to make sure that powershell is the correct version on each server. It would be very helpful if we could see environmental info such as Windows Version and Powershell version for each tentacle machine (perhaps on the machine settings page in Octopus)?

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Implement Process Templates

It would be nice if Octopus supported process templates on a per project basis. This would allow the user to define multiple templates for any given project and select the template to use when the release is created. There are a couple use cases for this:

1) Deploying multiple versions of projects that contain different components. For instance:

I have MyProject v1.x which contains components A & B. This version is in the final stages of QA and is getting bug fixes that need released directly into the QA environment on a daily basis.

Meanwhile I have MyProject v2.x which…

36 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. AWS support

Currently in the AWS console you can run a powershell start up script that will spin up new ec2 instances of a project.

Having this as part of a deployment where you could configure a step to spin up X instances then immediately deploy the project to those instances during high load.
    Then when load is down, step to spin down the instances related to last deployment.

Source: UV Ticket: 541

40 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Lock variables during editing

Not too often, but occasionally we have to update a project or variable library with a lot of changes. It would be great if there was a way to lock the variable set so after someone spends 30 minuets updating the variables they don't get a message stating that they can't save because another user made a change during this time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Tracking releases on other octopus deploy servers

We have a host that controls UAT and production. They manually promote sites by hand currently but are open to something automated that they control.

Internally we have a CI environment and test server but don't want to give access to the host to our intranet or active directory or expose our octopus deploy to the host.

We would like to see the state of releases in UAT and production on the same board as our CI release.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. PowerShell desired state configuration

Octopus is a deployment orchestration/application release automation tool. Many companies can benefit from configuration management tools like Puppet/Chef, but for various reasons are unable to use them. On the Windows platform, PowerShell's Desired State Configuration support is designed as an alternative to Puppet/Chef, and makes it easy to automate tasks like configuring Windows features and checking for drift.

However there are limits to using PowerShell DSC for our customers - they may not always be on the same AD domain, there may be security issues, there's no auditing, and no nice central way to manage scripts for the team.

Octopus…

251 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone who provided feedback on this ticket. We published a blog post yesterday showing how to do PowerShell DSC with Octopus – everything from deploying DSC scripts, detecting drift, getting email notifications when drift occurs, and automatically fixing the drift:

https://octopus.com/blog/octopus-and-powershell-dsc

With that in mind, I think many of the comments on this suggestion are “done”. But there might be some areas of DSC support that we still don’t do. I’d really appreciate if you could read the post, and let us know of any scenarios we’ve missed. If it looks like we’ve done nearly everything, I might close this UserVoice suggestion and we can open new, more targeted suggestions for any gaps.

12. I want to be able to upload sql script files to run as a separate step.

I want to be able to upload sql script files to run as a separate step.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Give API access to the system variables inside of Octopus deploy.

I've been looking through the REST Api,

GET /api/variables/names HTTP/1.1

Seems to show you the names of the variables in use. But there is no existing way to get a definition of what these are through the REST API. This would be highly useful for automated testing.

Some of these system variables are also used inside of the deployment variables. It would be nice to be able to have access to the system variables, in order to resolve the environment variables.

This way a tester could read from Octopus deploy REST API, and execute specified tests.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Use nuget dependencies to track dependency between projects in a given environment

I have read the section on not using dependencies (http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Packaging+applications) and I agree but I think we're missing a nice feature if we consider dependencies as being releases done by Octopus to a given environment that include the nuget that is defined as a dependency. Consider this:

MyOrg.MyApp.Web 1.0.0.0 depends on MyOrg.MyServiceApp.RestApi 1.5.0.0...2.0.0.0.

When I deploy MyOrg.MyApp.Web to environment Production Orcopus could check if I have a release in that environment that deuccessfuly deployed MyOrg.MyServiceApp.RestApi 1.5.0.0...2.0.0.0. Essentially this would make sure all my dependencies between projects are deployed within a given environment.
    It could also warn me about…

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Show default application directory in tentacle manager

On the tentacle manager screen, we currently see the 'Home directory' and 'Logs directory'. How about also showing the default 'Application directory' to which the tentacle deploys?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Dependencies between modules

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I was creating some powershell modules and I noticed there is no option to set dependencies on other modules.
    This would be great. Right now I am using the description to track the dependencies, but is not ideal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make defining a role to a server "Optional" (make it easy for initial setup)

When setting up new environments for applications, I find myself adding lots of machines that don't have a specific role (yet), but the machines already have the Tentacle installed and I want to add them to the environment in the Octopus Server to make sure the server can see, etc. so that when the time comes for the first deployment, all I have to do is assign the roles to the servers.

Right now, my workaround is to use a fake role called "no-role-assigned", but I'd prefer not to have this role at all.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. MSI install step

We require a feature/step that would allow for MSI installation. It should include the ability to uninstall, reinstall, first time install. It should also have error reporting, and trace back to the logs.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Permissions needed for Library Step Templates

We need permissions around Step Templates. These need to be for: creating, importing, exporting, deleting.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. dashboard hover environment shows info of what servers it contains

on the dashboard, if you hover a deploy, you will get more information on that deploy in a little info-box. We would like to see the same behaviour but for the environments. If you hover "dev" it will list you what servers it contains, and a little icon for if it's up and running or disabled/not healthy)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base