General

1. Azure Active Directory integration

Since you already have the ability to integrate with the local AD, this seems like a nice next step.

Some companies, ours included, are moving away from any on-premise hosting including a domain. If we were to use Octopus, we'd have two different places to manage users, which is a bit tedious.

I understand this is quite a large suggestion, but an alternative could an SDK in which we could write our own auth components.

152 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Set a variable that triggers a manual intervention step

It would be great if we could configure a manual intervention step to only run if a particular variable from a previous step is set. For example if we had a powershell step that was created to determine if a particular process was running, and if it wasnt found I could set a variable to true, that then the next step (manual intervention) finds is set to true and runs, otherwise the deployment continues on.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3986

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Be able to duplicate a step

In the process screen it could be great to add a duplicate button on a step.
    Some examples of usage. I have a email to a mailing list to say that the content management is unavailable. Then I need the same email to the same mailing list. It could be great to be able to duplicate the task then modify it in place of really recreating it. I have the same kind of example for the disabling of the scheduled tasked the re-enable it.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow Polling Tentacles to contact Octopus on 443 or 80 ports

There is two cases at customer sites, where I have set up Polling Tentacles. I guess the whole design idea of these Polling Tentacles is to ease setup for closed environments and to have to avoid opening Firewall each and every time.

However, since the Polling Tentacle is connecting back on port 10943 instead of port 80 or port 443, in both cases I have had to ask the customer to open outbound port 10943, which is annoying and time consuming.

Would you consider changing the Polling Tentacle to talk back to the Octopus Deploy server in some of the…

219 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have started a beta of a feature that allows communications over a shared HTTPS port and expect it to release it early April 2017, in version 3.12.0.

Even without this feature, it is possible to changed the listening port by running the following command (https://octopus.com/docs/administration/server-configuration-and-file-storage):

Octopus.Server.exe configure —commsListenPort 10944

When configuring the tentacle, the server-comms-port option can be used to specify this new port (https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/tentacle.exe-command-line/poll-server)

However there is a restriction that the Octopus Web UI can’t run on the same port as the comms listen port. Octopus can however be configured to run on just 443 (HTTP) and the comms port on 80 (or in reverse). NB even though comms runs on port 80, it would still use TLS in it’s communication.

5. allow the Run Condition of a step to be based on a variable not just whether a previous step has been successful or not

At the moment the run condition of a step is based on the success of failure of previous steps. It would be useful if this could be based on custom variable.

In our case, we have a step to check if there are any database changes required, if there are then we take a backup else we don't bother. Whilst this could be all done with in a single step template as there were some already available that did most of what we wanted this process takes three steps in our deployment.

1. compare for differences

2. run backup if differences exist
    245 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow steps to be 'disabled' or 'inactive'

At the moment when editing a step, you can specify which environments it is to be run in. Selecting no environments means that the step will run in all environments. There's no way to specify that a step should run in no environments.

If I have a problematic step and I'd like to take it out of use temporarily while I work on it, I'd like to disable it somehow, maybe with a checkbox on the process page.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/23854

648 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Cloning of steps

It would be nice if I could clone steps inside processes. For example if I want to deploy two nuget packages, I need to create one step to deploy a nuget and again create another step to deploy a nuget, instead of just cloning it. It's a waste of time!

279 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Concept of a gateway server so I only have to open one firewall hole per datacenter

Concept of a gateway server so I only have to open one firewall hole per datacenter I want to deploy to. The gateway would listen say on port 10935 for an OD server that is aware of the tentacles in the gateways private network. The gateway would then receive the project and related files and pass them on to the tentacle if it was coming from the OD server. The gateway would receive status from the tentacle and report back to the OD server.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add take parameter to API pagination to be able to get more than 30 items

Today /api/projects (and other api endpoints) has a default limit of 30 item per page.
    We would like a take parameter in order to get more than 30 items.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Script Module Usage

This might seem a trivial thing, however in our case we have script modules with version numbers. Many of them would be in a "testing" phase and others will be used in production projects.

I understand there is going to be a version control for the deployment of the scripts which is crucial, although it doesn't invalidate the fact that I can't see my script modules usage and I am afraid that we change the wrong script module and that would affect live projects.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add permissions to stop deployers from skipping steps

We need a permission to stop deployers from being able to skip steps.

Source: https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/admin/tickets/1431

164 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Guidance for using AppVeyor CI

Provide some really good guidance to help people use AppVeyor and Octopus together.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Version Control of deployment scripts

In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing those scripts or having them damaged would be pretty painful.
    I understand Octopus has backups, but it would be better to be able to get back to a previous version or see where the script had changed. Since we use GIT, I would be completely satisfied if GIT integration was all that you supported. :) I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

431 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Allow Secure Variables in Step Templates

I have a pair of Step Templates that allow me to remove the machine I am deploying to from our load balancer (and then add it back in after the deploy).

I can store the user name and password as "Parameters" but the password is easily visible.

It would be nice if steps had a "variables" section for their own secure variables.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Project Group Security

Make it possible to scope permissions to a project group.
    This should also allow the "project initiator" role to allow projects to be added to a specific project group.

Source: http://octopus-deploy.tenderapp.com/discussions/questions/1990-project-group-and-ad-group-security

521 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for voting on this feature. We shipped Octopus 3.6.1 today which supports scoping team permissions to a project group, in addition to projects. This means you can allow team members to create projects as well as to do other things with the projects they create, within a project group.

16. The "Choose Step" dialog could explain how to get more steps

A simple link "Get more steps" that takes the user to [Library / Step Templates] would help new users discover how to add more step options to this dialog.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. When updating a Step Template - update across all Projects

I want to use template-all model, where all projects consists only of step templates, to provide central management of deployment process. But when i modify step template, I need to manually go into every project and into step and click "update".

I think it would be better to use TeamCity model, where template can only be inherited and not changed inside project, or cloned from template if changes needed. Or provide the ability to one-click update all steps that uses the template (even better ask for it after click on Save button).

I'm going to end up with 30+ projects,…

572 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Deploy to machines when they turn back on

When have a scenario where we there will be over 50 machines which could be on or off at any time. I would like to be able to push a deployment out, and have it deploy to the machines when they come back on, then notify me when all machines are updated.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Tighter integration between step templates and community library

Bake the Script Library right into the product (granted it assumes that the
    instance can talk to the internet) but it would be nice to not have to
    copy/paste the Octo scripts into my instance, but could just import them.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. UI becomes painful with lots of projects

Hi,
    We love octopus, we are moving more and more of our projects over to octopus, at last count we have 53 projects in octopus, we are running version 2.1.3

And I've found various things that aren't ideal (that were fine with only 10 projects) In general it would be nice to have the UI designers think about scenarios like this (and even more projects will be added in the future)

some specific issues: the projects drop down menu goes off the bottom of the screen.

It takes too long to find something on the dashboard page (a box where…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base