General

1. When deploying project containing Deploy Release step, allow previewing steps and excluding machines from child deployments

Currently when deploying a project containing one or more Deploy Release steps (https://octopus.com/docs/deployment-process/coordinating-multiple-projects/deploy-release-step), there is no ability to preview the deployment steps that will be executed in the child deployment, nor the ability to exclude machines from the child deployment.

It would be nice to surface this information on the create-deployment page of the parent project.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    3 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support multi-package deploy steps

Allow package deploy steps to select multiple packages that are deployed in the selected order (with the ability to change the order). We have a website where we deploy a clean copy of a vendors files (makes upgrades easier), then we overlay different 3rd party modules and our solution into the same folder. These packages together create a whole website.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Deploy to Service Fabric

The 'Deploy to Service Fabric' process does not provide all the available security mode options available in Service Fabric, we are doing a POC around an on-premise SF cluster using a gMSA which the Fabric will run under the context of and Windows Identities to allow client-to-node communication. the option for using Windows Credentials (in this case it would be the Windows Service Account which Octopus is running under the context of) to connect to the cluster is not available! i.e.

Connect-ServiceFabricCluster -ConnectionEndpoint <cluster-domain-name | server hostname>:19000 -WindowsCredential

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Mapping environments on library variable sets

The issue I run into is the following:

Product A: offers an API on several environments DEV/TST/ACC/PRD

Product B: wants to use ProductA-TST on DEV/TST/QA
    wants to use ProductA-PRD on ACC/PRD

I want the ability to make a library set of varables from product A so any other product I have can easily link to the API, without having to keep track of a url in the other projects variables. So if Product A changes the URL, everyone is automatically updated.

But I might have more environments in other projects or want to map multiple environments to 1 environment of…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make variable list usable for configuring IIS bindings.

When adding a binding to IIS in Octopus, you can only use seperate variable. Every binding needs a new variable. Some of our deployments have over 50 bindings. We create each binding separate. If we use a variable list only the last item of the list end up in de IIS binding. It would help us a lot if we could ad three generic bindings (Test, Acceptation, Production), en in the bindings use a variable list, containing all the IIS bindings.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug: Last variable does not show menu (e.g. Open Editor, Change Type)

You are at the project/variable screen. Usually when you click on (or create) a variable you see an overlay menu with the option to open the editor or change the value type.
    But this menu is cut off for the last variable in the list when it only contains a single value!

Workaround is to add a second value or use the search functionality to expand the space bellow.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add a Deploy Feature to configure file system permissions

When we deploy a website we need to grant the user running the IIS application pool access to the deployment directory. Similarly, when deploying a windows service, we need to grant the user running the service filesystem permissions to the deployment directory.

It would be great to add a Feature to "Deploy to IIS" and "Deploy to a Windows Service" that would set the file system permissions for the user associated with the App Pool or Windows Service.

We like to set file system permissions during deployments so we have one less environment-specific issue to worry about (ex: oops, the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Deployment of more than one certificate in one step

We need to put multiple certificates into the trusted people-store, and number of certificates must be configurable in one step.

Tried putting multiple certificates into the same scope for a variable, that only published the first one.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Proget Universal Package Format Support

It would be great if Ocotpus could support as an external package feed:

https://inedo.com/support/documentation/upack/tools-and-libraries/upack-cli

This is because using `upack` cross platform cli it is easy to create and publish packages containing applications, to a proget universal format feed. Octopus has an in built zip file feed, but we want to standardise our artifacts feeds to proget as it is purpose built for feed management.

Nuget cli is not good at packaging up for example a single exe to push somewhere - like an apk file - because you first have to generae a nuspec file, and then you have to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Dark theme

It would be great to have the option to switch to a dark theme

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Change Type-Click-Repeat Dropdowns to Type-Click-Checkbox dropdowns

Sometimes there are 8 or 16 instances I need to manually deploy to because of a bad deployment or some other reason. For various reasons, I have to use the UI to do this and I may need to include or exclude 16 instances.

It can be a pain to have to type in the checkbox, click on the instance, and then repeat. It would be nice if I can see a dropdown with checkboxes so I can tick them without the dropdown going away each time.

Here is a good example:

https://codepen.io/elmahdim/pen/hlmri

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Deploy Docker Containers to Service Fabric

Presently you only support the old and standard way of deploying to Service Fabric but not docker containers.
    Adding this as a possibility would be cool, and would also enable people to migrate their solutions into containers, which could, in turn, be used in migrating to Service Fabric Mesh in the future if needed. (Only supports container deployments and is currently in public preview)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Google Cloud AIM json support

When application wants communicate to Google Cloud products for example databases it uses json auth file to authorize via Google AIM, in special case when app is in that cloud it uses local account, but sometime we want use dedicated service account so we still need that json.

So I suggest to add support for upload these json auth files for example to Accounts, of course it should be scoped in futures "spaces".

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Display more than 3 releases in overview

Hi,

The overview page seems to show a variable amount of releases. On one project it is showing 4, where only the oldest and newest deployments were pushed to prod. On another project it is only showing 3, again where the oldest and newest were to production.

Could we simplify this and just have it show a paginated list of all the releases? You could then use the filters to filter the rows down (rather than columns as it does now, which isn't a filter if we're honest!).

By doing this it will make this screen much more usable in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Set tenant "Common Variables" per environment

As of Octopus 2018.2.3, I'm experiencing a limitation for defining variables per tenant and environment.

The current ability to define variable templates per project is nice (so we can change the value per environment as the project is deployed to those environments). However, it would be nice to have the ability to define a common variable template that is shared across all projects in the deployment per tenant, but can change per environment.

I understand this can easily be done via variable sets, but it would be nice to be able to define everything in one place--not simply dividing configured…

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow Package variable type for step template

I would like to create a step template to run some Postman test suite. For this I thought to pass the test files and environment files to the package. Extract the package somewhere, run powershell in the extracted package and call newman (command line runner for postman).

But I can't add a 'Package variable' to a step template (like for a deployment step.

It would be nice to have this as variable for a step template. In the process, you would then get a dropdown with the available packages, and a dropdown with the possible packagefeeds. The script would then…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add additional output variables to Terraform Plan step stating if changes required

Terraform plan step currently only outputs "TerraformPlanOutput", however this always has values and is not easy to run conditional steps upon.

When running terraform with the --detailed-exitcode (https://www.terraform.io/docs/commands/plan.html#detailed-exitcode), you're able to determine if there is a change required.

It'd be good to output this as an output variable.

Specifically, my use case is that if there are terraform changes required I want to require manual intervention (and send a slack message) for the plan to be approved. If no changes required then don't require intervention, don't run plan, dont send slack notification.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Add variables substitution capabilities

We keep our deployment configurations in octopus variables and use json substitution the replace them on deploy time

This could be improved in a few ways:

- Use the json variables substitution feature on other step templates than deploy a package (for example: run a script)
    - have to ability to substitute also yml files
    - give a variable a null value, the only option now is tho give him empty string, which influence the code.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Add Export/Import buttons in project UI

We have dev and prod instances of Octopus Deploy. I’ve created a deployment project on the dev and then we needed to copy it to prod. We didn’t find Export/Import buttons in project UI. My colleague opened https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/octo.exe-command-line/export page and told, that it’s too complicated and it will be easier to manually duplicate all steps on the prod Octopus Deploy.

Could you please add to project Octopus UI Export/Import buttons , that will provide same behaviour as octo.exe CLI. It’s ok to implement just the simplest scenario with default parameters and have a note “if you need more control, use…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. To have a way to loop through all the in scope variables in bash

To have a way to loop through all the in scope variables in bash
    there is an example in PowerShell:
    foreach($variable in $OctopusParameters)
    {
    # Perform the desired action here e.g.
    Write-Output $variable
    }

Thanks,
    Monika

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)