General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Exclude filters within Advanced Filters for Tasks, Targets, Environments, etc

Would be nice to have exclude filters. At the moment, we have a deployment hook based on deployment events and it fills up our Tasks section. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain items so we can reduce the noise when searching for important information.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. option to Download / copy certificate files through Build Step

We are able to manually download the certificates from octopus certificate store, it will be helpful to do the same in build step as sometimes we need to copy certificate files to the application servers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Move "Excluded Steps" above tenant selection.

It's a hassle to scroll to exclude steps during a deployment particularly when your debugging a deployment and don't want to/can't disable steps.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Scope variables by Date

Add the ability in the variable editor to set a variable value to only be used during a specific date range. Dates should be able to exclude year. "Every Oct, Nov, Dec" for example.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Move the Load More/Load all buttons to be closer to tenants

In multi-tenant implementations, the Tenants screen only shows 30 tenants. When the left side list of Tenant types, upgrade rings, hostings, etc, exceeds the height of the list of tenants, the "Load More and Load All" button/link is pushed to the bottom of the page and requires a user to scroll to see there are more tenants to choose from. This has caused us to miss several tenants when making configuration changes because it looks like we are seeing all tenants on the screen.

I have a screen shot but I don't know how to submit it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add additional output variables to Terraform Plan step stating if changes required

Terraform plan step currently only outputs "TerraformPlanOutput", however this always has values and is not easy to run conditional steps upon.

When running terraform with the --detailed-exitcode (https://www.terraform.io/docs/commands/plan.html#detailed-exitcode), you're able to determine if there is a change required.

It'd be good to output this as an output variable.

Specifically, my use case is that if there are terraform changes required I want to require manual intervention (and send a slack message) for the plan to be approved. If no changes required then don't require intervention, don't run plan, dont send slack notification.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Proget Universal Package Format Support

It would be great if Ocotpus could support as an external package feed:

https://inedo.com/support/documentation/upack/tools-and-libraries/upack-cli

This is because using `upack` cross platform cli it is easy to create and publish packages containing applications, to a proget universal format feed. Octopus has an in built zip file feed, but we want to standardise our artifacts feeds to proget as it is purpose built for feed management.

Nuget cli is not good at packaging up for example a single exe to push somewhere - like an apk file - because you first have to generae a nuspec file, and then you have to…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support the repository attribute in package metadata

Hello,

OctoPack / Octo.exe currently does not support the latest nuget XSD spec, and fails to run when newer elements are used in the nuspec:

Repro steps:

1. Create a new nuspec file with all the defaults and inside it add a repository element inside the metadata element. Example:

```xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <package xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/packaging/2010/07/nuspec.xsd">
    <metadata>
    <repository type="git" url="https://github.com/user/repo&quot; />
    </metadata>
    </package>
    ```

2. Run OctoPack or Octo.exe with the pack command, and the following error will be shown:

```
    error OCTONUGET: The element 'metadata' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/packaging/2010/07/nuspec.xsd'; has invalid child element 'repository' in…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add variables substitution capabilities

We keep our deployment configurations in octopus variables and use json substitution the replace them on deploy time

This could be improved in a few ways:

- Use the json variables substitution feature on other step templates than deploy a package (for example: run a script)
    - have to ability to substitute also yml files
    - give a variable a null value, the only option now is tho give him empty string, which influence the code.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Set tenant "Common Variables" per environment

As of Octopus 2018.2.3, I'm experiencing a limitation for defining variables per tenant and environment.

The current ability to define variable templates per project is nice (so we can change the value per environment as the project is deployed to those environments). However, it would be nice to have the ability to define a common variable template that is shared across all projects in the deployment per tenant, but can change per environment.

I understand this can easily be done via variable sets, but it would be nice to be able to define everything in one place--not simply dividing configured…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Allow collapsing environment sections on tenant project variables screen

It would be very helpful to have a way to collapse the variables by environment when on a Tenant's Project Variables screen. Currently it shows all of them at once, but we have 10-20 variables for each one, so even having a tenant with two environments can quickly become overwhelming and difficult to scroll through. A simple toggle at the end of the environment bar to collapse them would greatly speed up our interactions with the screen.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Scope Phases to Tenant Tags

It would be great if we could scope a Lifecycle Phase to a Tenant Tag.

The reason for this is to be able to Target a Phase to specific tenants. For example. When rolling out a release to production we want to limit the impact by doing a Phased roll out. The tenants in each Production Phase are deployed the same way.

Currently the only way to achieve this is to create a new Environment for each Phase. But this also means that every variable and process step that is scoped to the Production environment also needs to be updated…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support freeze/blackout schedules for deployments

With an increased release cadence, it would be nice of Octopus supported the idea of creating freeze/blackout calendars that would either (by setting) outright prevent deployments (possibly allowing with authorization by a particular team) or display a warning that the deployment is taking place during a freeze period.

Ideally we would be able to associate these freeze calendars with projects or project groups, specify whether it is a warning when deploying or prevents deployment, and in the latter case which team or teams would be able to authorize bypassing the freeze.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Clone channel

It would be very useful to be able to Clone a Channel.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Setup channel settings at group level

Chaps,

Would it be possible to add a "project group" level configuration for channels? In my situation i have a number of project groups each containing a number of projects. Every time we need to make a tweak to the channel setup, i end up having to apply the same change to each project one at a time...

Not the end of the world, I know, but i'm inherently lazy and would very much like to control this once per group. Maybe with an option to override on a per project level?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Support creation of releases in child projects during "Deploy a Release" step

The new "Deploy a Release" step is great! However, it was unclear to me at the time of setting up the steps that the "Deploy a Release" step does not actually support creation of a release before deployment--the release must already be created in the child projects before deploying.

While this step is definitely headed in the right direction, in my opinion, I would think this feature would be even more useful if it also supported the ability to create a release in the child project(s) before deploying.

The package versions are already supplied to the projects when creating the…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support slack as a subscription type

It would be incredibly useful to be able to set up notifications to slack channels directly from a subscription, rather than having to hack it together with Zapier.

A selector to pick which channel to send the message to would be lovely as well.

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add ability to use run conditions for child steps

The only way to specify a rolling deployment is by grouping several steps into one parent step.

Child steps cannot specify any run condition (success, fail, variable) but some child steps run condition can be based on several factors controlled by run conditions.

I already opened a discussion here: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/55380-add-ability-to-use-run-conditions-for-child-steps

118 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. rpm

support RPM package format for linux. specifically, (a) deploy RPM packages as-is (via native commands such as rpm, zypper, yum, etc.), and (b) query rpm database so that deployment status (i.e. current version) for any tentacle is kept in sync with reality (i.e. don't just assume that last version deployed from Octopus is what is currently deployed)

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Cancel Multiple Tasks at once

Be able to cancel multiple tasks at once. For instance, I can schedule tasks to over a hundred tenants easily, but if something comes up and I need to cancel these for some reason, i must cancel each one individually.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base