General

1. UI improvement: Better deployment summary box

The Details box should have an overall status description, Success / Fail / In Progress, because when you have more than a few screenfulls of steps it's hard to know how the deployment is going without scrolling all the way down.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. View differences between environments

It would be good to get the differences between environments, i.e. see that App X and App Y need to be updated in UAT to get it up to date with Buildtest.

This could possibly include a button that would update all those applications.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Group environments - Easier variable re-use

Mark: This is a usecase when doing Azure deployments only. Does not apply to non-Azure as one could make use of the "Role"-feature that applies to physical defined machines in Octo.

Scenario:
    In Octopus portal 2.0, I today have two options for using my variables in Azure. Either i choose to apply a variable to all environments, by specifying nothing in the dropdown - or I choose a specific environment. If I want to specify the variable to be used for all environments except 1, I have to duplicate the variable and select each environment.

In my scenario, some variables…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Shared email templates

Based on http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/458-generic-mail-templates

It should be possible to create an e-mail template that can be used by multiple projects.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. implement a feature for an admin to make deployment comments mandatory

We would like to email stackholders during the deployment process with information about which project, environment, etc and the person (username and/or email) pressing the button.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

This should be achievable by adding an email step to your process and entering the desired information. Scoping the ProcessEdit permission accordingly will ensure that users who should not be allowed to edit the process cannot do so. Finally the Audit section of Octopus also provides a mechanism to keep track of this information.

6. OEM License

We sell a client-server product which is deployed on customer premises. Some customers have hundreds or even thousands of clients which means that we need a scalable configurable way of pushing out updates. We're looking at using Octopus for this instead of rolling our own updates, but we'd need an OEM license to bundle this in our product.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide a RavenDB Contracts assembly so that the RavenDB LinqPad driver can be used to interact with the backing Octopus data store

There is a RavenDB driver for LinqPad that enables on-demand one-off querying and investigation of Raven databases via this tool. It requires only that a set of POCOs for the data store be provided.

Would it be possible to provide an assembly of just the POCOs that your use alongside future Octopus releases so that we can interact with the RavenDB to drive custom visualizations of the deployment data?

The RavenDB Driver can be found here: https://github.com/ronnieoverby/RavenDB-Linqpad-Driver

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve provided a complete REST API with Octopus 2.0, and we don’t plan to expose the contracts for Raven directly since there should be very few reasons to work directly against the database (and we can’t guarantee any compatibility going forward).

8. Confirm before Deployment For Particular Environments

It would be nice if you could put a setting on the environments that would force a user to confirm before they deploy to it. For instance I wouldn't want bothered by a confirmation to my dev environment but it would be nice to have to confirm a deployment to production just in case I selected it by accident.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Error on deploy that won't deploy due to no machines with required roles

When we have a new environment occasionally someone will miss assigning the roles to the environment.

It would be great if Octopus could say this Project requires these roles or relevant options to be deployed to this environment please rectify this and try again. Instead of just logging a message about there being no machines of the relevant role.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow me to run a Regex against a deploy's output to determine if the deploy succeeded or failed

I want to be able to fail a deployment under certain conditions - such as if a specific part of a transform was not applied.

I could accomplish this if I could supply a custom Regex and at the end of a deploy it could be run against the output. If it doesn't match then the deploy should be failed. You could potentially let me configure if a match indicates failure or the lack of a match indicates failure. Ideally I would be able to add several conditions with different boolean operators (if the output matches this regex and/or doesn't…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add to TeamCity plugin Promote fields for user and password

Currently the only way to add specify credentials to use --user/--pass command line parameters what isn't handy.
    Add appropriate fields please. Also other authentication related such as type (NTLM, etc.).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow inheritance of project steps within a project group.

For example, in a project where there are many individual web sites, some with SQL databases that must be upkept, each of those projects currently has define and upkeep a separate version of a database deploy script, which being replicated in so many different steps creates a maintenance hazard.

I'm imagining a scenario where the you have a group and some child sites, where the parent group/project defines a database deploy step and some variables that can be overwritten in the child projects. So the parent supplies the powershell script step that accepts some variables and the child project is…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Expand retention policy to be version based

Currently if you setup a retention policy to be based off 3 items, it will delete folders past the 3 items back. In our scenerio we have version numbers in our Nuget packages and in Octopus of WCF services that are hosted in IIS. We found that when Octopus retention policy ends up deleting a folder that is being pointed to by IIS that IIS will then just fails to load the application pool and crash everything else in that same application pool. To address this, can the retention policy be enhanced to support versioning and especially in relation to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Deployment summary

It would be nice to have a nice deployment summary somewhere which would inform what the deploy actually has done.

It could say:
    Deployed on 3 hosts (web01, web02, web03)
    Skipped host web04 and web05 because they are disabled
    Total time: 3.00 minutes

Would be nice too to have a warning deploy status. For example you could use it to mark a deploy that deployed to 0 hosts.

Let me know if it's a nice idea :)

Cheers,
    Andrea

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add "project" and "environment" scope to the "All permissions" permission

Currently, it is quite complex to properly configure a setup like

• operations can do everything everywhere

• developers are allowed everything in the Dev environments, denyed everything in the Prod environment

• specific groups (e.g. external consultants) are allowed everything in the Dev environments of a specific project, denyed everything everywhere else

Being able to scope "All permissions" to specific projects/environments would allow such a scenario to be configured with ease.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add Targets to make rest api calls to create and deploy releases on Octopack.targets

In order to get TFS Preview (Team foundation services) to completely integrate with octopus for automated deployment, we would like to have a target added to octopack.targets that would make REST api calls to create and deploy release to an environment. This would help in continuous deployments to be done from TFS preview.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow the release notes for a release to be included in an email sent via the email step

Provide a variable called something like OctopusReleaseNotes that can be used to embed the release notes for the release in an email.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Tentacle to be brandable

It would be great if it was possible to brand Tentacle.

We are looking to use Octopus to deploy our software to client sites and would like to be able to brand the Tentacle service as our software management client.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to close it for now as it would be a lot of work to implement this and it’s not clear to me that it would help a lot of people. The easiest workaround would be to buy the Source license for Octopus, so that we can give you GitHub access, and you can modify the code yourself to make the changes you desire.

19. add a step to check existence of variables

Currently, if a variable is missing, the deployment will just fail silently and we have to go the event viewer on the server to find the actual cause.

We have a deployment which requires about 20 variables (about 10 custom and 10 generic) per environment.

It would be great to have a step type which could test the existence of each variable and only allow the deployment to continue if they are all present. Perhaps a checkbox alongside each variable on the variable editor screen to include or exclude it from the check too.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion.

The easiest way to do this is to add a PowerShell script step as the first step of your deployment process, and in PowerShell you can check the values, and then exit with a non-zero exit code if any are not defined. You can even make this step run as the very first step in the deployment prior to packages being downloaded.

Since this is quite easy to do and a lot more flexible (you could scope the check to be per-environment, for example) I’m going to decline this suggestion to avoid yet another checkbox in the UI.

20. Delete config transforms automatically after deploying to web servers

The config transforms e.g. Web.Release.config and Web.Production.config are applied and then left in each environment once deployed.

It would be nice if the transforms were deleted after they were applied - as they aren't needed after that. Just to keep things a bit more tidy.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base