General

1. 24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Clear up nomenclature re: Automatic Release

You have a feature that you can enable on a Project called "Automatic Release creation". First, there's a distinction in Octopus Deploy with respect to a "Release" and a "Deployment" of a Release. In OD, first you create a Release. Then you Deploy a previously created Release. When going to setup Automatic Releases, it asked me for the Release Creation package step and the Channel. The first question alarmed me because it seemed to indicate that the created release would be subsequently deployed--which is what I don't want. I want to automatically create a release, but manually deploy (I'm deploying…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change polling port

It would be great to be able to configure the default polling port for tentacles. Our networks and security team have recommended changing the default port so that it isn't picked up by port scanners to find attack vectors because it is a known port. Can we change the default port Octopus Server is listening on?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. New-ExternalOctopusArtifact

We regularly surface artifacts in Octopus - usually through the script console, but sometimes within deployments. This is great.

However, we'd like the ability to surface an external resource as an artifact. For instance, a hyperlink to a test report generated by a third-party and called via API during a deployment step.

I initially saw this as different optional arguments on New-OctopusArtifact, say "URI" and "LinkText", however they may warrant their own cmdlet instead, and maybe their own subheading under "artifacts" when surfaced

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Define api resources in raml

It would be awesome to see the octopus deploy api modeled in the RAML spec (http://raml.org/) There is a lot of tooling around this spec including the generation of client libraries / documentation sites. I think this could really help with integrating external tooling to octopus deploy. For an example of what can be generated here is an example:

https://anypoint.mulesoft.com/apiplatform/cvent-3/#/portals/organizations/ce5a0400-9714-4c97-b51d-522564251669/apis/23094/versions/24555

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Change the default Confluence favicon on http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/

Change the default Confluence favicon on http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/ to an Octopus Deploy themed favicon.
    It's a bit confusing now, especially when you have a gazillion other tabs open in the browser.
    See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONF52/Changing+the+Confluence+Browser+Icon,+aka+favicon

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Tagline Idea

The first one is free!

"So easy, a mollusk could do it!"

Cheers!

Tim and Edward
    Thales, USA

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Precompile ASP.net website as part of build

The ability to precompile an ASP.net website in Octopack or as part of the build to allow deployments to be shorter for multiple environments.

Please see the source for much more detail!

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/887

185 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We think that precompilation is best done at compile time, however have been hesitant to it into OctoPack as there are many options to the pre-compilation. Keeping it as a msbuild separate step that is run before OctoPack keeps things flexible.

In light of @Loránd’s project (thank you) and the alternative instructions @David shared, we think that adding this functionality to OctoPack would not add any value.

10. Separate IIS and Config features step from Nuget deploy

Currently setting up IIS is part of the Deploy Nuget Package step and so are a few other config steps.

It would be useful to be able to have setting up IIS, and other config, as a separate step. That way you can view the steps performed clearly and do something if that specific part fails.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Undo variable masking when a sensitive value is removed

Via @RenEvo at https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/1011

Once a variable has been marked as "sensitive" its value will be masked even when the variable is later made non-sensitive.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Tentacle as a product - goodbye Wix

If you have a product that requires on-premise installation the defacto product people use is Wix. Its nasty and full of XML. I was thinking if the Tentacle was a standalone app it could do the deployments.

For example, on a clean install, you give the customer the Tentacle to install, it has a file watcher looking for nupkg. You package up your product and tell the customer to put it in a directory. Tentacle then sees it and installs it and updates IIS etc.

Goodbye Wix!

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. import users AD

It should be possible to import users from AD rather than having to wait for them to login for the first time before you can assign them to a team. We have already AD enabled our server.
    As an extra feature, it would be nice if groups used in teams are resolved. That would mean it is possible to see the effective set of members when configuring the team.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Showing users in AD that aren’t in Octopus is a little bit backwards to the way our auth system works at the moment. In some of the later work around AD integrations you can now use AD teams as a permission object in Octopus to ensure that as soon as they do log in, they have the appropriate permissions already available

14. Support Internet Explorer 8

In Octopus v2 you have removed support for IE8. Given this shipped with Windows 7, this seems a bit aggressive - large enterprises are notoriously laggard in this regard, and many have only just finished doing their Win 7 rollouts. Upgraded browsers will come with upgraded OS's, and given this is unlikely to be Windows 8, this will be a while yet.

Whilst a developer typically has a degree of control over their desktop, the same cannot be said for VDI environments, which typically take the bare bones corporate desktop, with no provision for alternative browsers. This can prevent workers…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Retention policy to be applied to Octopus server backups

When switching to Octopus 2.0, our backups of the Raven DB octopus server has been growing to 250 Meg. Since there is currently retention policy applied to these backups, we started to run out of disk space on our server at times.

We constantly have a powershell script for now running to do our own retention, but would be great if it was built-in.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add the Computer Name to the name of the artifact

The artifacts are fantastic but not really of any use as multiple server capture the same file with the same name.
    Sample: http://pbrd.co/1m1Batb

Please add the server name to the name of the artifact or in front of the artifact. Also the name of the step would be great as I might have multiple steps capturing the same artifact at different points in time. (e.g. a before/after configuration files or log files).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Allow Flagging of High Priority Environments

Currently it is very easy to accidentally deploy something to a high priority environment, like production, since there aren't any confirmations necessary after clicking deploy. It would be nice if we could flag certain environments as "high priority" so that when you try to deploy you need to at least go through a confirmation dialog to continue. This would add a nice safeguard against accidental deployments to environments like production.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow filtering of client IP address for extra security

If I wanted to host Octopus on a public facing server, I would want to add IP address restrictions as extra security. Since v2 is not hosted in IIS any more, is there a way to do this in the self-hosted environment?

If not, I wrote a MVC filter that does it which I use on some of my public facing MVC applications when I want to deploy a test version that only I can access:
    https://github.com/nootn/DotNetAppStarterKit/blob/master/DotNetAppStarterKit.Web.MVC/Filters/IpRestrictionGlobalFilter.cs

Could you possibly do something similar?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We could implement this, but it wouldn’t be nearly as secure as using a firewall to do it.

Windows Advanced Firewall (built in) can do this for example:

https://support.gearhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/200341715-Block-IP-address-with-Windows-Firewall-2008-2012

What’s nice about this is that if we do it, then its obvious to an attacker that there’s something there, and there’s a chance that we or our stack will have a bug. If you do it at the firewall, it will filter the packets before they even reach the app and it will appear as if nothing is listening.

19. Pivot dashboard by role

As a user
    I want to pivot the dashboard by role
    So that I can see to what roles a project has been released for

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Automatically use transformation files named App.XXX.config

For a Windows service, I have to name my transformation file something like MyWindowService.exe.Release.config. This goes against the naming of the standard config file, which is App.config and later automatically transformed into MyWindowService.exe.config.

For consistency, the transformation engine should automatically look for files named App.XXX.config where XXX is the environment or build configuration such as App.Release.config

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base