General

1. "Deploy a release step" allow choosing target environment

The deploy release step assumes want to deploy to the same environment as the parent deployment.

Add facility to pass a parameter to chose which environment to deploy the release too.
    E.g. so can deploy a single master release, which kicks off multiple deployments of other release to the defined environments specified by the parameters.

Similar to how the community Chain step template allows for.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve filtering on the Overview page

I would love it if there were more options for filtering on the Overview page.

I use this page as the main page I visit when searching for a release to deploy (e.g. to my dev or test environment). Since we have releases for every commit on every branch, it can be a bit of work to find the release I am looking for sometimes.

What I suggest is:
    - A filter for channels (e.g. I want to only show 1 channel)
    - A filter for the version number/release name. This should essentially be a search box where I can…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow downloading and restoring configuration from audit history

Currently the audit API can only return an HTML annotated view of the changes made to configuration elements like variable sets and deployment process. This is not helpful when the configuration is huge or when we need to find changes over multiple edits of the same configuration.
    Proposal: add the ability to download the raw JSON that was in effect after the change. The result should be equivalent to what we would get by clicking 'Download as JSON' after making the changes.
    This would allow us to:
    - create diffs between arbitrary dates, not just a single entry in the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow the visibility of what teams have access to a project/group

Right now you can view a Team and see what project or project group that team has access to. We'd like to see the reverse as well. When we go to a project or project group we'd like to see the teams that have access along with their permissions.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. In the deployement process edit, edited step is not scrolled up

When i edit a step in deployment process I see left side pane steps starting from 1,2.....etc. i don't see the one I am editing scrolled up.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Pre-caching / Pre-acquiring of packages for scheduled deployments

We deploy our packages to our customer environments.
    For example 1.5GB of packages to 500 targets over the internet. As the internet connections can be slow and to make sure that the deployments all take place at the same (scheduled) time I suggest that the "acquiring packages" step optionally starts as soon as a deployment is scheduled and verified again at the scheduled execution time. Should the deployment package(s) be missing or corrupt at the scheduled execution time there could also be an option "re-aquire at execution"/"fail if missing".

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Consider turning Octopus into a complete CI\CD Solution

all-in-one tool combining source control (or VCS integration), artifact storage, package feeds, build & deploy pipelines.

I love Octopus and have used it for years now. The flexibility you offer with your product in the deployment arena is awesome. Simple things I take for granted are not offered or a pain in other solutions such as Azure Devops.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Improved Overall Project Search capabilities

Need to improve the search capabilities to include variables and/or allow the entry of associated metadata such as "Host/DNS name" so that projects can be quickly located using this search/filter.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Support inserting into an array in JSON Configuration

Given an JSON settings file which has an array element

e.g. { "Users": [] }

Use Octopus variables to insert into the array rather than just replace values.

e.g.
    define Users:0:Username = user
    define Users:0:Password = password

Would result in the object getting inserted

{ "Users": [ { "Username: "user", "Password": "password" } ] }

https://help.octopus.com/t/json-configuration-can-it-insert-into-an-array/24317/7

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. "Acquire Packages" should be first step

Give an option (or make it default) to have the "Acquire Packages" step to always happen at the very beginning.

Our use case:
    We uninstall a program, then extract the package and install it. If it fails on the package download (which happens automatically right before the extraction), then our deployment target had all of its files deleted, but failed the deployment.

Our current fix:
    Make sure the "Extract Packages" step is the first thing in every project, to force "Acquire Packages" to be at the very beginning

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Use IAM roles instead of AWS access secrets for all external resources, e.g. feeds, targets, community library tasks

Currently, the only way to set up AWS authentication for an ECR external feed, AWS deployment target, community library task, etc, is with an IAM user secret such as API access keypair. Our product secrutiy team has exlicitly forbidden use of secrets such as keypairs like this and requires everything to use IAM role authentication via role assumption.

It would be lovely to replace the access key and secret key inputs with a single input for an IAM role name to assume into in order to get the needed credentials. The authentication and login could then execute on workers with…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Fix typo in /opt/octopus/tentacle/configure-tentacle.sh

Fix typo in /opt/octopus/tentacle/configure-tentacle.sh.
    Applications is misspelled as "appications".
    Found in tentacle-5.0.12-1.x86_64.rpm.

read -p "Where would you like Tentacle to install appications to? ($applicationpath):" inputapplicationpath

read -p "Where would you like Tentacle to install appications to? ($applicationpath):" inputapplicationpath

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Support toast messages

It would be useful to notify either all users, a team, an individual of some changes (step template to be deprecated, upgrade occuring) via a toast/message on login so that important messages related to Octopus/deployments are delivered via Octopus directly to the users that need to know.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Go to cloned project after cloning

After completing and saving the clone project dialog, the page reloads and your are back on the project that you just cloned from.

To be consistent with other software I regularly use, I expect to be navigated to the project that I just created from the clone command. At the very least, I would like some sort of obvious UI with a link telling me to go to the cloned project.

On multiple occasions, I have cloned a project and went straight into deleting custom steps and variables that aren't needed in the new project. However, I eventually find out…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Show release notes in overview

Could you please consider showing the release notes as a hint box when user would hover the release number in the Project/Deployments/Overview view?

Currently the release number is "clickable", so we can reach the release (and its notes) quickly, anyway there is no hint used, so it would be more comfortable just to point the cursor and read the notes.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Support linux-arm in Linux Tentacle

A dotnet core version has been build. I would be great if this was compiled to a linux-arm runtime.

https://octopus.com/docs/infrastructure/deployment-targets/linux/tentacle

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add a view that shows all Releases across all channels and Tenants

Please can a view be added that allows a user to see all deployments in a pipeline, spanning all tenants and channels? Having to search for these seperately causes no end of headaches as I often have to line up versions and this is made harder when they have to be searched for. Making it so they are all visible from the main page of a release as an optional view would alleviate this.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Ability to copy from logs without getting timestamp interwoven

The current implementation of Octopus Deploy makes it very difficult to copy information from the log output. The resulting copy of multiple lines includes the date information interwoven with the log data. This makes it almost impossible to copy from Octopus to create a bug in Azure DevOps.

Attempting to copy this information results in a test block like the following:
    Failed TestPagesAreLoadingLoginPage
    December 19th 2019 08:44:12
    Info
    Error Message:
    Info
    Assert.AreEqual failed. Expected:<200>. Actual:<404>.
    Info
    Stack Trace:
    Info
    at Platform.Specs.SystemResponsivenessSteps.ThenIShouldRecieveAMessageBackFromTheServer(Int32 p0) in H:\Agents\DEP-3_work\2\s\Platform\Outsell.Tools\TestFramework\Platform.Specs\SystemResponsivenessSteps.cs:line 137
    December 19th

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Tentacle authentication should be able to use .pem .key.

Tentacle authentication happens only using .pfx cert, but it should also use the .pem

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow MarkDown files from a package to be used as manual intervention

Some of our deployments have lengthy steps that cannot yet be automated. It would be great if markdown files contained with in a package can be used as manual intervention steps in a deployment.

I was thinking this could work by simply having an option to choose a file rather than type the instructions on a manual intervention step.

However it would be really great if some naming standard could be introduced. For example "PreDeploy.md" would appear as a manual intervention at the start of the deployment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base