General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow specifying Machine Policy for machine in Azure Resource Manager Template extension

Specifying Policy for a machine in a new Tentacle through the Azure Extension Agent would be valuable.

In our scenario we use ARM templates for new infra structure as code for "cattle". The extension allows for dynamic creation of short-lived environments in Development.

However, we want to utilize the Octo automatic de-registration of agents as dev infra is removed via Machine Policy. (Machines in Octo disappear when automatically after a developer is done with a VM.)

Having the "Policy" as a parameter to the extension would allow this to be setup easily one time instead of a post-build step manually…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. have a better way of handling parameters in arm templates

When setting up a new ARM template for use in octopus we set the default value of all parameters to #{something} so that the 'parameter' page in octopus is auto populated.This works great for most values but if we have a secure string octopus will update the 'default value' in the arm which will show up in the deploy history in Azure. We would like to see some way to handle this so we can ignore updating the default value or auto-populate the parameters page without needing the default value or some other way to handle this a bit cleaner.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support Azure Service Fabric Mesh

The Service Fabric Mesh deployment model is in public preview since a couple of months back and GA is expected this spring. Being mainly ARM template and container based, the SF Mesh deployment is probably possible to accompish by custom scripts today, but good out of the box support in OD would be very valuable.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Json Configuration - Scope Target File

Been setting up multiple pipelines for Azure Data Factory (ADF) resources, defined by a series of Json files and would like to to use the Json Configuration Variables for configuring these. In ADF you typically have a series of linked services json files, specifying e.g. connection strings, credentials, input type etc - all with the same hierarchy - E.g. the connection string would be specified as 'properties:typeProperties:connectionString' in all the linked service files - hence the problem, since all json files are applied with the same OD variables.

I proprose an extension to the existing Json Configuration Variables feature, where…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Integrate Octopus deploy project variables with Azure Key Vault

So sensitive project variables will be referenced from Azure Key Vault instead of being stored in octopus.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/key-vault

3357461 - 'Azure Resource Manager Key Vault support' was only about ARM template Key Vault support.
    17973586 - 'Integrate Octopus deploy with secrets managment system Vault' is similar to this issue only for https://www.vaultproject.io

This idea is similar to
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/vsts/build-release/concepts/library/variable-groups?view=vsts#link-secrets-from-an-azure-key-vault-as-variables

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Azure Extension "Learn more about Octopus Deploy" link broken

When installing the OctopusDeploy Tentacle Agent Extension in Azure the "Learn more about Octopus Deploy" leads to https://octopus.com/tour?utm_source=azure-portal&utm_medium=in-product&utm_content=about&utm_campaign=OD
    The only thing at that address is a "Page not found.
    We can't seem to find the page you are looking for. The page may have been removed, or moved somewhere else" message.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Assign Worker Pool(s) to Environment(s)

Rather than using cloud regions it would be much easier to assign a worker pool(s) to environment(s). We have a lot of security requirements and being able to use specific workers per environment would help us tremendously.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Give us control over log output wrapping of octo.exe

We integrate Octopus into our Azure DevOps pipeline through octo.exe. The problem is that octo.exe wraps the output it receives from the server unconditionally to 80 characters. This does not make any sense.
    The net result - it is completely unreadable.
    Please, remove the wrapping or give us a flag to remove it.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Upload of environment variables from .env

I think it would be nice to have this feature on Octopus.
    So I was given a deployment task and I had multiple environment variables to upload.
    I am the lazy type so instead, I wrote a python script to enable me to upload all at once in just a sec.

I hope this saves someone too

https://github.com/opemipoVRB/Python-Octopus-Client

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Provide an option for step-templates to not require new release

It would be good for step-templates to have a boolean (tick/slider) option for step-templates to not require a new release for updated versions.

This would allow basic step templates to be updated without having to create new releases for multiple projects.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow a Project to randomly choose / cycle through deployment hosts rather than deploy to all instances.

Allow a Project to randomly choose / cycle through deployment hosts rather than deploy to all instances.

This should be a configuration option for the default deployment setting and separate from the manual deploy to specific instances that currently exists.

Potentially with the option to select the number of instances to choose to deploy to

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Allow specifying Tentacle name in Azure Resource Manager Template extension

When using the Azure ARM template Octopus Tentacle extension, it would be nice to be able to override the tentacle name. It currently uses the computer name, which sometimes is not the best name for the tentacle

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. octo.exe pack should support a --exclude= flag (at least when --format=zip)

The nuspec approach may indeed support excluding files. However the zip approach (--format=zip) doesn't. Per octopus documentation the .zip approach is the recommended way forward. In this light a --exclude option is in order to compensate feature-wise vS the nupkg approach.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Kubernetes Ingress doesn't allow to configure TLS

Allow kubernetes ingress to specify TLS configuration.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make target roles variable

Let target roles be bindable like most other fields.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Allow variables to be used for Channel Version Rules

It would be nice if the Channel Version Rules had support for Octopus variables. From a management standpoint, when you have dozens and dozens of deployment steps bound to specific Version Rules, it would make sense to be able to make centralized updates rather than going through all of the various projects, channels, and associated rules in order to make the same update.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Display operating system version information on the Deployment Targets page

It would be useful to see what operating system and potentially which .net framework versions are installed on a deployment target. I've got a variety of different server versions and in order to pick a baseline .net framework version I need to work out the oldest OS.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Compress the Offline Package Drop folder

I would like it if there would be an option to compress the Package Drop folder on a target location.

I see it is now possible to deploy it as an artifact in .Zip format.
    But i would like it if we could deploy it to a file share in .Zip format without requiring somebody to manually copy it there.
    Each Offline Package Drop folder contains a Calamari folder that is 45MB unzipped and only 10MB zipped.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show task estimate progress bar/percent on dashboard

Similar to TeamCity, use historical runtimes of previous deployment steps, to know how to estimate a progress percentage (or ETA left) for the deployment tasks.

Right now the Dashboard just shows a blue spinner with no progress bar or percentage of completion, so some 10-20 minute tasks I need to click on the activity to see how much its done to see how much is (roughly) left to go.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base