General

1. Tenant variables side by side

The idea is to have the tenant variables displayed vertically, with one column for each environment.
    Currently, it is quite tedious to compare or copy variable values from an environment to another.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Generate a deployment preview to show all variables and machines that will be utilized

I would like to be able to generate a deployment preview without creating a release. I would like this preview to show all in-scope machines and variables that will be utilized given the selected parameters for the deploy. This will help greatly in identifying misconfigured scope for variables and machine roles/environments

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide the ability to generate cryptographic strong passwords

When deploying application containers, there can be times when you want a password that no human needs to know and survives only for the lifetime of the container.

Our primary use case is generating secure keystores for certificates, etc. At container start-up, it will generate a new local keystore and we then have the ability to dynamically sign CSRs generated within the container via an external signing service.

We do not want to leave the keystore nor the certificate objects without any password, but also do not want to store the values anywhere external to the container.

Granted, we certainly…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support Azure DevOps Artifacts Universal Packages

It would be nice to support Azure DevOps Artifacts Universal Packages feeds. We are slowly moving to Azure DevOps Artifacts (for artifact management only), and would like to use Universal Packages.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/artifacts/quickstarts/universal-packages?view=azure-devops&tabs=azuredevops

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Helm 3 support

Helm 3 is around the corner. Right now rc2 is available. Would be nice to Octopus could integrate with 3rd version of helm. Eg. Repositories will be available as container registries also. Are you guys plan to integrate with third version ?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow for a way to access published artifacts without using the API.

This is a huge issue with octopus. Needing to create a script to access published artifacts is so messy. Azure DevOps allows for immediate access to artifacts.

In parallel with this request, we need the ability to publish artifacts with a specific name instead of a randomized name given by Octopus. How are we supposed to clearly use a published artifact if it's given the name "Artifacts-#" ?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support DNS-01 challenge for LetsEncrypt

Can we please have support for the DNS-01 challenge type for LetsEncrypt. We don’t want to have to expose a server to the open internet just to validate a certificate domain. DNS-01 solves this by querying the DNS provider directly for the challeng token to ensure you own the domain in question.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow .war files to be deployed to Azure Web Apps

Currently .war files are not supported by the Azure Web App deployment, it would be ideal that we can deploy this type of file directly to Azure Web Apps without having to take additional steps.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Force Step Templates to be a required step

When creating a Step Template, there should be an option to force any step based on the Template to be required.

Take the built in "Manual Intervention Required" Step Template as an example... it forces any step based on that Template to be required if one or more responsible teams are specified. In other cases, allowing Step Template authors to decided this would be desirable.

In our scenario, we have several step templates that are used to ensure our deployment process is ISO compliant, and it's a big overhead and ongoing process to ensure those steps are marked as required…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Release created date (system variable)

The system variable Octopus.Deployment.Created is updated/changes between deployment to the different environments, but it would be great to have a static value for when the Release itself was created.
    So i suggest a new system variable Octopus.Release.Created that says when the release was created (with the Create Release button).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. make it possible to have multiple views saved of different environments used for different reasons

Need to be able to save and recall defined sets of environments used for different purposes. For example, In-House vs Out-of-House.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. .NET Core 3.0 CLI support

I have build agents with the .NET Core 3.0 SDK installed. I am unable to install the CLI as a dotnet tool, as the CLI will only run on .NET Core 2.X. I'd prefer not to have a separate container with the .NET Core 2.1+ runtime or SDK in order to use the CLI.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow 'Step Templates' to use fixed/specific package versions

We've been trying to ensure that any 'Step Templates' created in Octopus contain scripts/code (PowerShell) that exists within a package. That package is then referenced as part of the 'Step Template'.

The problem we have with this is that as soon as the package is pushed, it then gets used in any new releases. This means that we have no opportunity to test this in Octopus prior to new releases in pipelines using it.

It would be useful if within the 'Step Template' we could specify/fix the package version (or specify a range) used so that all other pipeline releases…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Additional features for AWS templates

Currently there are several AWS deployment templates like one for uploading file to S3 bucket and few for deploying CloudFormation stacks.
    The problem with them is that they have a short support of different features we have for traditional IIS or Azure templates. So the suggestion is to add some of these features to AWS templates too e.g

• JSON Configuration Variables,

• Custom Deployment Scripts,

• Configuration Variables,

• Configuration Transforms

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enforce an expiry time/duration on an API key

At present, all API keys for a user (service account user or 'real' user) do not have an expiry date.

As a result, non-required API keys can potentially leave access open via this key.

The suggestion would be to:
    - allow users to specify the duration of the API key/token
    - allow admins to specify the possible durations available to users/roles (e.g. administraters can stop users selecting 'unlimited' duration, and only allow 30, 60 or 90 days, for example)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow date manipulation through use of the 'DateNow' and 'DateNowUtc' filters

For example, allow us to add 1 hour to the time generated by 'DateNowUtc' or 'DateNow'.

In my case, I want to pass in an expiry time when generating a SAS token in an ARM template, but it's inconvenient to have to use PowerShell to generate that expiry time and then set an output variable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Increase the density of the dashboard

The Dashboard somehow manages to show only 8 of my projects on a full-screen 1920x1080 browser. There is really no reason it shouldn't be able to show more than twice as many. There is just so much whitespace. This app should be about utility, and scrolling/searching really reduces the utility here.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Fix a typo in the docs

The header here
    https://octopus.com/docs/administration/data/octopus-database#Octopusdatabase-highavailability
    is missing an "i" between "bil" and "ty". Says Availabilty and not Availability

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I have multiple nuget packages that I want to deploy to a single location, can this be done with Octopus Deploy?

I have multiple nuget packages that I want to deploy to a single location (these nuget packages all make up the single Application), can this be done with Octopus Deploy?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Manage/edit variables in variable sets from the project level

I would like to be able to manage variables in variable sets from both the variable set page and from the project level, when there are cases where I have included a variable set in my project. This will help reduce the back and forth navigation that is needed to make the necessary edits when I find I need to modify the variables that are in the set as I am maintaining my project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base