General

1. Add read only Guest Account

Add the concept of a readonly Guest account (with a blank/known password). This would enable people to see the dashboard and release notes and nothing else.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Secure variables at rest

There are a number of suggestions for adding authorisation for access to variables through Octopus. Whilst this is absolutely needed, it does not go far enough. Especially for organisations with a low risk appetite.

Variables - which contain credentials and other sensitive information - need to be secured at rest. The fact that they are stored as plain text in a single DB and backups presents a very significant level of risk to an organisation. Should a backup or databse copy be accessed, all credentials are lost.

Further, no sensitive variables should be stored or logged on the tentacle. As…

27 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Branch support for deploying older app versions

As a enterprise developer, who deploys with 2 version of the application (8.0 for QA and 9.0 for dev) I would like an ability to easily create release for version 8 or version 9, without manually selecting version for each package.

That is it for a brief description. Here is a full set-up:
    1) Octopus project consists of 5 packages
    2) Each package is being built with TeamCity CI Server twice (from trunk and from branch)
    3) For deploying on different environments (dev/QA) I am using same project and environments and server role features.

The problem is, that each time…

191 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. non-tentacle nuget package step for custom deployment scenarios

This seems to have already been done with the Azure service deployment step.

I would like to have all the power of the nuget deployments but without requiring a tentacle or relying on the creation of additional service specific step types.

One scenario this solves is EF migrations against a SQL Azure database. The current documented method requires a tentacle installed on the sql server. I could solve this with powershell and migrate.exe run from the octopus server.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. capture the position of powershell errors

When you run a powershell script it would be helpful to get the position if the error. You can do this by catching RuntimeException and then appending "ex.ErrorRecord.InvocationInfo.PositionMessage" to the error message you log.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add artifacts to release

I would be nice to be able to attach various artifacts to a release, which can be viewed/downloaded. This could be code coverage / unittest reports, script files to be reviewed by dev ops, etc. The files could be contained in the nupkg file(s) itself and identified in the project configuration as 'artifact' and hence displayed in the web ui.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Remove the need to check-in OctoPack.Tasks.dll in OctoPack 2.0

nuget.exe can be autodownloaded or installed on the build server. I'd like to see OctoPack.Tasks.dll either autodownload, or provide a variable that I can use to point to an installation on the build server.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to run package steps in parallel

Often package steps can be run in parallel, which would speed up deployments when there are lot of steps. However, not all steps can be run in parallel, my suggestion is that you should be able to edit the ordinal for a step, and if two steps have the same ordinal then they will be run in parallel.

For example:

1. Deploy Foo.Web

2. Deploy Foo.ServiceA

3. Deploy Foo.ServiceB

4. Deploy Foo.ServiceC

The steps for Foo.ServiceA and Foo.ServiceB will be run in parallel, Foo.ServiceC will run after they have both finished.

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Filter tasks/deployments by environment, type and project

Right the project screen displays the history of deployments for a project across all environments. It would also be nice to have a environment-centric view of deployment history. I should be able to select an environment, and see the history of the deployments of different projects on that specific environment.

For example, being able to quickly see all of the deployments into just the Production environment would be valuable. This is especially true during active development cycles with lots of builds and noise to filter out.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Done!

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I want to get some clarification before we implement it.

The dashboard makes it pretty easy to see the current deployment in a given environment (e.g., what is currently deployed to production).

So I’m assuming this suggestion is to be able to see what was deployed to production, is that right?

In the Tasks tab, if we added the ability to filter by environment (and/or project, and/or task type e.g., Deployment), would that help? It should then make it pretty easy to see all deployments for environment X.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/843

10. Re-snapshot variables on "try again"

I've done a few deployments to new environments which have failed because I've got a variable wrong (e.g a drive letter) etc. If I fix the variable, I then have to a re-deploy and increment the release number which puts it out of sync with the version of the packages I'm releasing.

It would be great if I could hit "Try Again" and have an option to re-snapshot the variables thereby picking up any changes I might have made.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion – Octopus has had this ability for about 6 months now (on the release page, you can see the variables snapshot, and refresh it). We also warn you if you are attempting to deploy and the variables have changed since.

11. enhance the variables editor screen

The variables screen could use a number of improvements, especially when editing. The width of the value column is too small and it makes it very frustrating to use when working with long strings, i.e. connection strings. Same problem in read-only mode for long value strings, the small size of the value column makes it difficult to scan all the entries and see what the values are set to.

A quick fix would be to allow for resizable columns and word wrap. A better/more complicated fix would be change the layout of the page from a simple grid.

Other ares…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Link to matching tentacle installer

It would be convenient if a link was provided in the Octopus Server to download the matching installer for the Octopus Tentacle.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Run arbitrary PowerShell scripts on the tentacles

I'd like to be able to run an arbitrary PowerShell script on a tentacle as part of a deployment step. The script would be uploaded to the tentacle like a package and executed.

This would make pre- and post- deployment tasks easier (stopping/starting services, redirecting load-balancers etc).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Production deployments - require an authoriser

To prevent accidental deployments to a production environment, please could you introduce something that allows a user to schedule a deployment, but one that requires a different user to authorise that deployment?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Schedule a release

Schedule a deployment of a release for a date and time

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/252

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Don't reupload identical packages, bonus: pre-upload packages!

Can you perhaps store the hash/checksum of a package and only reupload if it changes? It would save 20+ minutes for us each time we get a failed deployment.

Also, the ability to pre-upload those packages would be very beneficial as we can upload during the day and perform the deploy during our given window - which would minimise the down-time

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

See comment – both of these features are now supported. If you think the implementation needs to work differently please raise on help.octopusdeploy.com or create a new suggestion here.

17. Distinguish between Re-Deploy and Re-Upload.

When you check Force redeployment of packages it has to re-upload the packages. Would like to force the package to be "re-executed" but using the .nupkg that was already uploaded.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Configure environment by code

We would like the ability of managing deployment in a dynamic infrastructure. Example: A scaling group on amazon EC2 spawned a new instance and installed tentacle on it. It would be nice to be able to write scripts to config the tentacle with pre-defined fingerprint, and then add the new tentacle to the octopus.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Batch deployments

This feature would make it possible to execute multiple deployments of releases to multiple environments simultaneously.

The UI would allow you to select multiple releases from different projects, and for each release, choose an environment to deploy to. This feature would solve:

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/suggestions/154-select-multiple-environments-to-deploy-to

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/suggestions/174-parallel-batch-deployments

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/247-project-groups-deployment

189 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Octopus 2.6, we added the ability to select multiple environments to deploy to. While this doesn’t allow you to deploy multiple releases simultaneously, it does allow you to deploy a release to multiple environments easily, which is what many people in the comments were asking for. Since it’s hard to separate the two, I’m going to close this item to release the votes.

20. Delete .ps1

My goal is to remove our deployment scripts from competitors eyes.

Since the tentacle runs PreDeploy.ps1, Deploy.ps1, PostDeploy.ps1, DeployFailed.ps1 - i would like to tentacle to be responsible in deleting these files on a successful deployment. If it fails having those scripts will benefit if we need to debug through a tentacle using run-script.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base