General

1. Change Type-Click-Repeat Dropdowns to Type-Click-Checkbox dropdowns

Sometimes there are 8 or 16 instances I need to manually deploy to because of a bad deployment or some other reason. For various reasons, I have to use the UI to do this and I may need to include or exclude 16 instances.

It can be a pain to have to type in the checkbox, click on the instance, and then repeat. It would be nice if I can see a dropdown with checkboxes so I can tick them without the dropdown going away each time.

Here is a good example:

https://codepen.io/elmahdim/pen/hlmri

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Deploy Docker Containers to Service Fabric

Presently you only support the old and standard way of deploying to Service Fabric but not docker containers.
    Adding this as a possibility would be cool, and would also enable people to migrate their solutions into containers, which could, in turn, be used in migrating to Service Fabric Mesh in the future if needed. (Only supports container deployments and is currently in public preview)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Google Cloud AIM json support

When application wants communicate to Google Cloud products for example databases it uses json auth file to authorize via Google AIM, in special case when app is in that cloud it uses local account, but sometime we want use dedicated service account so we still need that json.

So I suggest to add support for upload these json auth files for example to Accounts, of course it should be scoped in futures "spaces".

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Display more than 3 releases in overview

Hi,

The overview page seems to show a variable amount of releases. On one project it is showing 4, where only the oldest and newest deployments were pushed to prod. On another project it is only showing 3, again where the oldest and newest were to production.

Could we simplify this and just have it show a paginated list of all the releases? You could then use the filters to filter the rows down (rather than columns as it does now, which isn't a filter if we're honest!).

By doing this it will make this screen much more usable in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Set tenant "Common Variables" per environment

As of Octopus 2018.2.3, I'm experiencing a limitation for defining variables per tenant and environment.

The current ability to define variable templates per project is nice (so we can change the value per environment as the project is deployed to those environments). However, it would be nice to have the ability to define a common variable template that is shared across all projects in the deployment per tenant, but can change per environment.

I understand this can easily be done via variable sets, but it would be nice to be able to define everything in one place--not simply dividing configured…

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow Package variable type for step template

I would like to create a step template to run some Postman test suite. For this I thought to pass the test files and environment files to the package. Extract the package somewhere, run powershell in the extracted package and call newman (command line runner for postman).

But I can't add a 'Package variable' to a step template (like for a deployment step.

It would be nice to have this as variable for a step template. In the process, you would then get a dropdown with the available packages, and a dropdown with the possible packagefeeds. The script would then…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add additional output variables to Terraform Plan step stating if changes required

Terraform plan step currently only outputs "TerraformPlanOutput", however this always has values and is not easy to run conditional steps upon.

When running terraform with the --detailed-exitcode (https://www.terraform.io/docs/commands/plan.html#detailed-exitcode), you're able to determine if there is a change required.

It'd be good to output this as an output variable.

Specifically, my use case is that if there are terraform changes required I want to require manual intervention (and send a slack message) for the plan to be approved. If no changes required then don't require intervention, don't run plan, dont send slack notification.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add variables substitution capabilities

We keep our deployment configurations in octopus variables and use json substitution the replace them on deploy time

This could be improved in a few ways:

- Use the json variables substitution feature on other step templates than deploy a package (for example: run a script)
    - have to ability to substitute also yml files
    - give a variable a null value, the only option now is tho give him empty string, which influence the code.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Add Export/Import buttons in project UI

We have dev and prod instances of Octopus Deploy. I’ve created a deployment project on the dev and then we needed to copy it to prod. We didn’t find Export/Import buttons in project UI. My colleague opened https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/octo.exe-command-line/export page and told, that it’s too complicated and it will be easier to manually duplicate all steps on the prod Octopus Deploy.

Could you please add to project Octopus UI Export/Import buttons , that will provide same behaviour as octo.exe CLI. It’s ok to implement just the simplest scenario with default parameters and have a note “if you need more control, use…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. To have a way to loop through all the in scope variables in bash

To have a way to loop through all the in scope variables in bash
    there is an example in PowerShell:
    foreach($variable in $OctopusParameters)
    {
    # Perform the desired action here e.g.
    Write-Output $variable
    }

Thanks,
    Monika

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Exclude filters within Advanced Filters for Tasks, Targets, Environments, etc

Would be nice to have exclude filters. At the moment, we have a deployment hook based on deployment events and it fills up our Tasks section. It would be nice to be able to exclude certain items so we can reduce the noise when searching for important information.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Octopus Cloud - Packages - show total amount of space used

It would be nice to be able to see how much space packages are taking up for an Octopus Cloud instance and whether you are reaching the max amount allowed. The maximum space allowed in Octopus Cloud is not documented I believe.

It might be helpful to have this knowledge so we know when to use Octopus Cloud's built-in repository to host packages versus utilizing an external package feed from elsewhere.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. option to Download / copy certificate files through Build Step

We are able to manually download the certificates from octopus certificate store, it will be helpful to do the same in build step as sometimes we need to copy certificate files to the application servers.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Move "Excluded Steps" above tenant selection.

It's a hassle to scroll to exclude steps during a deployment particularly when your debugging a deployment and don't want to/can't disable steps.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Scope variables by Date

Add the ability in the variable editor to set a variable value to only be used during a specific date range. Dates should be able to exclude year. "Every Oct, Nov, Dec" for example.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Move the Load More/Load all buttons to be closer to tenants

In multi-tenant implementations, the Tenants screen only shows 30 tenants. When the left side list of Tenant types, upgrade rings, hostings, etc, exceeds the height of the list of tenants, the "Load More and Load All" button/link is pushed to the bottom of the page and requires a user to scroll to see there are more tenants to choose from. This has caused us to miss several tenants when making configuration changes because it looks like we are seeing all tenants on the screen.

I have a screen shot but I don't know how to submit it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Ability to disable some standard step templates

We want to standardize on some templates that all developers can use for their deployments. That because we need to add compliance checks on all code before promoting to Production.
    the 'Run custom script' built-in step is dangerous because that opens the opportunity to do more or less anything.

As an Octopus admin I want to disable some of the built in step templates.

128 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support the repository attribute in package metadata

Hello,

OctoPack / Octo.exe currently does not support the latest nuget XSD spec, and fails to run when newer elements are used in the nuspec:

Repro steps:

1. Create a new nuspec file with all the defaults and inside it add a repository element inside the metadata element. Example:

```xml
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <package xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/packaging/2010/07/nuspec.xsd">
    <metadata>
    <repository type="git" url="https://github.com/user/repo&quot; />
    </metadata>
    </package>
    ```

2. Run OctoPack or Octo.exe with the pack command, and the following error will be shown:

```
    error OCTONUGET: The element 'metadata' in namespace 'http://schemas.microsoft.com/packaging/2010/07/nuspec.xsd'; has invalid child element 'repository' in…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Create an Octopus Terraform Provider

Like many others, we use Terraform to manage our cloud infrastructure and it would be great if we could create and manage our octopus setup in it too.

This is a follow up to the question posted on the Octopus Help section: https://help.octopus.com/t/any-plans-for-an-octopus-terraform-provider/20853

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add project groups as filter to subscriptions

It would be nice to filter subscriptions by project group. We have hundreds of projects and I wanted to subscribe to a subset but even that would require a lot of time to pick an choose projects. in addition, as we add new projects, we would need to update the subscription. if we could filter by project group, then any projects in that group would automatically get a subscription.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 5 7 9 64 65
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base