General

1. Release created date (system variable)

The system variable Octopus.Deployment.Created is updated/changes between deployment to the different environments, but it would be great to have a static value for when the Release itself was created.
    So i suggest a new system variable Octopus.Release.Created that says when the release was created (with the Create Release button).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. make it possible to have multiple views saved of different environments used for different reasons

Need to be able to save and recall defined sets of environments used for different purposes. For example, In-House vs Out-of-House.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. .NET Core 3.0 CLI support

I have build agents with the .NET Core 3.0 SDK installed. I am unable to install the CLI as a dotnet tool, as the CLI will only run on .NET Core 2.X. I'd prefer not to have a separate container with the .NET Core 2.1+ runtime or SDK in order to use the CLI.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow 'Step Templates' to use fixed/specific package versions

We've been trying to ensure that any 'Step Templates' created in Octopus contain scripts/code (PowerShell) that exists within a package. That package is then referenced as part of the 'Step Template'.

The problem we have with this is that as soon as the package is pushed, it then gets used in any new releases. This means that we have no opportunity to test this in Octopus prior to new releases in pipelines using it.

It would be useful if within the 'Step Template' we could specify/fix the package version (or specify a range) used so that all other pipeline releases…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Additional features for AWS templates

Currently there are several AWS deployment templates like one for uploading file to S3 bucket and few for deploying CloudFormation stacks.
    The problem with them is that they have a short support of different features we have for traditional IIS or Azure templates. So the suggestion is to add some of these features to AWS templates too e.g

- JSON Configuration Variables,
    - Custom Deployment Scripts,
    - Configuration Variables,
    - Configuration Transforms

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enforce an expiry time/duration on an API key

At present, all API keys for a user (service account user or 'real' user) do not have an expiry date.

As a result, non-required API keys can potentially leave access open via this key.

The suggestion would be to:
    - allow users to specify the duration of the API key/token
    - allow admins to specify the possible durations available to users/roles (e.g. administraters can stop users selecting 'unlimited' duration, and only allow 30, 60 or 90 days, for example)

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow date manipulation through use of the 'DateNow' and 'DateNowUtc' filters

For example, allow us to add 1 hour to the time generated by 'DateNowUtc' or 'DateNow'.

In my case, I want to pass in an expiry time when generating a SAS token in an ARM template, but it's inconvenient to have to use PowerShell to generate that expiry time and then set an output variable.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Increase the density of the dashboard

The Dashboard somehow manages to show only 8 of my projects on a full-screen 1920x1080 browser. There is really no reason it shouldn't be able to show more than twice as many. There is just so much whitespace. This app should be about utility, and scrolling/searching really reduces the utility here.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Fix a typo in the docs

The header here
    https://octopus.com/docs/administration/data/octopus-database#Octopusdatabase-highavailability
    is missing an "i" between "bil" and "ty". Says Availabilty and not Availability

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I have multiple nuget packages that I want to deploy to a single location, can this be done with Octopus Deploy?

I have multiple nuget packages that I want to deploy to a single location (these nuget packages all make up the single Application), can this be done with Octopus Deploy?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Generate a deployment preview to show all variables and machines that will be utilized

I would like to be able to generate a deployment preview without creating a release. I would like this preview to show all in-scope machines and variables that will be utilized given the selected parameters for the deploy. This will help greatly in identifying misconfigured scope for variables and machine roles/environments

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Manage/edit variables in variable sets from the project level

I would like to be able to manage variables in variable sets from both the variable set page and from the project level, when there are cases where I have included a variable set in my project. This will help reduce the back and forth navigation that is needed to make the necessary edits when I find I need to modify the variables that are in the set as I am maintaining my project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Clone All Process Steps

Cloning steps is a nice and welcome addition. Can we expand it to a Process level and have Clone All Steps to a different project?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Expand Variable Conditionals to include OR/AND statements

Currently, Variable Conditionals as documented here:
    https://octopus.com/docs/deployment-process/variables/variable-substitutions#VariableSubstitutionSyntax-Conditionalsconditionals

Does not allow for evaluation of more than one condition, which makes the syntax really ugly and dificult to read when workaround/hacks are implemented to evaluate more than one condition...

For example, currently only this is allowed:

#{if Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Name == "PreProd"}prod#{else}uat#{/if}

Make is easy to do OR/AND and evaluate more than one condition, like this for example:

#{if Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Name == "PreProd" || Octopus.Deployment.Tenant.Name == "Production"}prod#{else}uat#{/if}

To get an idea of the issues review this post (describes workaround for AND but OR is not possible so far!):

https://help.octopus.com/t/run-condition-variables-two-conditions/1585

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Divide deployment targets between required and optional

My environment has servers that sit in reserve and are only started when needed. A deployment right now consists of bringing these up, waiting, and pushing the deploy button, but this doesn't always go smoothly.

Sometimes the Octopus service has a hiccup on boot, or AWS takes longer than usual. This gets reflected in releases that fail which leaves me with either running it multiple times and either explicitly including or excluding servers or stopping and starting an instance until it resolves.

Being able to communicate to Octopus that as long as a core group of servers is communicative, the…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Deploy Release step should prevent picking releases from a different lifecycle

When creating a deployment 'parent' that utilizes the "Deploy A Release" step 'child', it's possible to create a 'parent' release with a 'child' release version that uses a different lifecycle. When attempting to deploy, the following cryptic error is returned:

The step failed: Activity <Child Step Name> on the Octopus Server failed with error 'The release has unresolved defects and cannot be deployed to this environment.
    Once you have corrected these problems you can try again.
    If the problem is related to a variable you will need to update the variables for this release or recreate the release for the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Negative tenant tag condition for deployment steps

Currently you can set a condition to a step so that it is only run on tenants with certain tenant tags.

If I know want to run one step on tenants with a tag but not run a second step with a the same tenant tag (different configuration for these tenants) I have to use conditions field instead. This gives a very unclear overview of the process as it appears to that both step run on tenants with the tag.

Ideal would be
    * Step A run on tenants with Tag A.
    * Step B run on all tenants except…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Deployment Steps - Loop Step with variable

Hi,
    I have a service/container and I want to launch it in the same machine a number of times (variable to be applied per environment/tenant) .

Do you have something for this? Can you put this?

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. View related infrastructure of a project

When viewing the page, /app#/projects/--project_name--, add a navigation link called Infrastructure which when clicked shows all of the related infrastructure for roles for the project.

I know this data can be viewed on another page, but it would be easier if I am already viewing the project to see where it is running without loosing focus on the project and needed to navigate to the infrastructure and filtering my roll.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Show the Project name on HTML Title instead of "Overview - Octopus Deploy"

When you navigate to a project, you get to the Overview page as a start. When you open up many projects at once (cause a change triggered multiple CI for example, which should be deployed) all of them will show "Overview - Octopus Deploy" in the HTML title and as such it's also what's displayed on the browser tabs:

You loose the ability to distinguish between these tabs. It also means that if you bookmark multiple projects then you'll have to change their title manually to have a valuable label for them. You have to click around them to figure…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base