General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Support Azure DevOps Artifacts Universal Packages

It would be nice to support Azure DevOps Artifacts Universal Packages feeds. We are slowly moving to Azure DevOps Artifacts (for artifact management only), and would like to use Universal Packages.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devops/artifacts/quickstarts/universal-packages?view=azure-devops&tabs=azuredevops

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow multiple version of 'kubectl'

Currently Ocotpus only allows for one version of 'kubectl' to be added to the Octopus server. This means that all clusters targeted by Octopus must be running the same version of Kubernetes.

It would add greater flexibility if we could add multiple versions of 'kubectl' and then choose which version to use within the Kubernetes deployment target.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. New Release Available could take admin to release compare

As an Octopus Deploy administrator,

I want to see the changes that would be in my specific upgrade in a single action,

So that I can be more quickly informed of what changes will occur on upgrade.

Basically looking for a quick link to this: https://octopus.com/downloads/compare?from=2019.2.4&to=2019.2.7

As is stands, both of the values in the URL above are visible in the Octopus Deploy UI (relatively close to each other)

Under

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Tenant (Project) variables UI improvement - toggle linked environments

We have around 50 Tenant project variables that differ per each linked environment (Dev, Test, Uat, Stage, Prod)
    So imagine the current UI, we have to scroll down the list endlessly until we find the variable.
    Tenant variables UI improvement suggestion:
    1. Toggle linked environments project variables- meaning use accordion or panel widget for each linked environment, so when I click on one linked environment I would expect to see the Tenant Variables only for that linked environment. Currently all linked environments variables are displayed.
    app#/tenants/Tenants-61/variables?activeTab=projectVariables

2. Add filtering / searching for project variables on the same page
    app#/tenants/Tenants-61/variables?activeTab=projectVariables

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add 'latest' option on Octo.exe -package overrides

When using Octo.exe's --packageversion to specify a version for all packages, and then --package to override one package, it would be helpful if --package would let you specify 'latest'.

Example:
    --packageversion 6 --package SomeSinglePackage:latest

Currently if a script is sending --package SomeSinglePackage:2 and there is a new version, you have to remember to change the script to version 3.

This scenario occurs when you are trying to release a specific version of your application, but one package is shared across many projects and won't have the same version number as the project being deployed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add Auto-Logout Timeout for Users

As an administrator of our Octopus server I'd like to assign auto-logout interval for our users after a period of inactivity.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add security secret cleansing to Artifacts

When Octopus attaches Artifacts it does not screen the for any secrets or credentials as such these can often compromise accounts etc that are used to create that Artifact, depending on what it is and how its made.

It would be great if before Octopus attached the Artifact it looked to screen and cleanse the Artifact of potential Secrets there fore reducing the risk of it been used for security exploits etc.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Specify Service Name in Ingress Host Rule

Currently, when creating an Ingress Host Rule, you can only specify the "Path" and the "Service port". The Service Name appears to be calculated for you. Why not let the user specify the name?

One use case where providing the Service Name is critical is when using Ingress Annotations for the AWS ALB Ingress. An action annotation can be provided on the Ingress to tell the ALB Ingress Controller to create a specific action on the ALB. For example, an SSL redirect action. The annotation must be named "alb.ingress.kubernetes.io/actions.my-custom-action-name". Then in the host rule you specify the desired path (for…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Supply a list of project variables for powershell

Currently in powershell scripts, the only list of variables is $OctopusParameters, but this list includes all the built-in Octopus parameters as well.

It would be really nice to be able to reference only the variables defined in the current project during a deployment.

Something like $OctopusProjectVariables

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Verify a user's database permissions prior to attempting the database upgrade

If a user runs an Octopus Deploy installer and has some of the permissions necessary to upgrade the database, but not all, the database can be left in a broken state. Verifying all the permissions are correct before making any changes would prevent this broken state, which is most likely to occur by accident.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. new user role\s

Would it be possible to introduce a new user role\s for adding\editing\removing steps from a process?

We would like developers to be able to add a new step but not delete or edit existing steps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. octo.exe pack should support a --exclude= flag (at least when --format=zip)

The nuspec approach may indeed support excluding files. However the zip approach (--format=zip) doesn't. Per octopus documentation the .zip approach is the recommended way forward. In this light a --exclude option is in order to compensate feature-wise vS the nupkg approach.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Expand All button in Task Log

In Task Log screen, we need to click on "+" button to expand the sections for each section. A "Expand All" button would be useful when you want to expand all sections at once but do not want the verbosity in Raw tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Define Manual intervention on an Environment

I'd like to assign a manual intervention, or "Approval gate", at the environment level, independent of project.

We have many projects that can be deployed to our environments. The lifecycles these projects can deploy to have a mix of Dev, CI, Test and Production environments. Some important environments require approval before anything can be deployed to them (e.g. QA, PreProd, Production).

At the moment I have to add manual intervention steps to every project that could be deployed to those environments. I also have to make the intervention steps are conditional based on the environments they're going to (i.e. I…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Deployment Pipeline as Code

I would like to see the "pipeline as code approach" applied to projects. The main idea is to be possible to define the process of a project using a yml file in a source code repository or package.

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Obfuscate sensitive variables in deployment log in variable substitution

We're using various steps for deployment ('Deploy a package', 'Deploy to IIS') which both have variable substitution options to substitute variables in Web.config/App.config.

During deployment, i've noticed that these substitutions are logged. However, sometimes i see that our sensitive variables are being logged here at 'verbose' level. Other sensitive (and also non-sensitive) variables are obfuscated.

It seems that the deployment process decides by itself based on the name of the variable. In my opinion, the sensitive option of the variabel should be considered here as well.

An example of what we've got currently:
    We've got an appsetting in our app.config,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Exclude process steps when you are creating release

Exclude process steps when you are creating release not before deploying release. Why?

We have multiple projects and when we are deploying to higher environments we are actually deploying "wrapper project" which contains releases of projects.

In each release, we don't always deploy all the projects so we want to exclude them from deploying.

We know that we can set up "deploy only if the version is greater". But If we exclude some of deploy release steps then we have a better overview of what actually has been deployed.

We just want to skip boring manually clicking each time before…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Filter Environments shown in each Project Group on the Dashboard

Filter the environments show in each project group on the dashboard. Only environments included in the lifecycles/channels for each project in the project group should be shown.

We have many environments but most are only used by a few project groups. Some project groups only deploy to a single environment. This requires us to horizontally scroll far to the right past environments which aren't capable of being deployed to in order to see what is deployed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Highlight the variable Snapshot difference while updating the release snapshot

Whenever there is a change in the variable after the creation of the release, we used to get warning saying "Release Snapshot has been changed". But we do have only one option to update the entire release without knowing what has been changed. It would be great if you have any way to find/highlight the variables and their values that will be updated when I click "Update Variables" in the release Snapshot section. It will minimize the risk when it's comes to updating the snapshots for production deployment and it will give a transparent view of what changes are done…

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base