General

1. Complete the step even thought deployment was cancelled

Sometimes, developers cancel the onging release deployment. In some cases, the deployment is interrupted in the middle of step execution and changes cannot be reverted easily afterwords. For example, there is one step to restore the database and run some cleaning sql queries. The deployment was cancelled right in the middle when powershell script turned the database in a single user mode and started to restore it. Deployment was cancelled and the database was left in that state. It was required manual intervention to login and revert changes.

My idea is to add possibility to mark the step as atomic…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow new IIS step to just create IIS resources without necessarily deploying a package

Currently the new IIS step (introduced in 3.4.7) allows you to create Sites, Apps and Virtual directories, but you always have to deploy a package.

It might be useful for some users to be able to take advantage of the IIS functionalities, without having a deploy a package.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/9702

236 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for specific files that were added by OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles, to be excluded in package

I cannot not use /p:OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles=True with MSBuild. This parameter is absolutely indispensable. It is not even an option.

However I do not want all the files in the build to be included in the package.

The nuspec file and the exclusions ability therein does not allow to exclude files that were added by OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles.

The effect of this is that I can’t use one of the best features of Octo : deploying to IIS.

Because of a few files that I can’t exclude from the build, I need to deploy to a folder, remove the files that I want, and…

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Apply rention policy to custom install directories

When deleting a release from a target machine according to retention policy, option to also delete the custom directory (and its contents) that release was installed to. This is for custom install directories that are named with {Octopus.Release.Number} as part of the name.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow the use of C# script (.csx) using .NET Core

ScriptCS will no longer be supported under .NET Core.

Please enable support for dotnet-script (https://github.com/filipw/dotnet-script) so that C# scripts can be executed under .NET Core

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow named variable sets to be defined at the Project Group level and optionally shared between all projects in that group

Within a project group it would be good to be able to define sets of variables (like in the library) which can be optionally shared between any project in the same project group. This will allow variables to be shared between similar projects and will allow easy grouping of related variables.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Add "QueuedBy" system variable for obtaining user who has actually queued deployments

I'm getting persons username when receiving deployment status email from automatically triggered deployment (by Project trigger on machine becomes available event). In the email template i'm using Octopus.Deployment.CreatedBy.Username system variable to display user who has run deployment.
    So in case of auto-triggered deployments I would like to get value "System" instead of some person's username (apparently one's who first has run the deployment manually).

Ref: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/52736-octopusdeploymentcreatedbyusername-value-is-not-system-when-deployment-fired-by-project-trigger

67 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Visualize use of Write-Progress cmdlet in task log

PowerShell hosts such as the PS command line and ISE visualize percent complete (as a progress bar), action text, and status text if Write-Progress is used within a script. It would be nice if the Octopus task log web UI showed that as well. Just as with other PowerShell hosts, it's not something that would be part of the permanent task log so maybe it would show up as part of the header for a task running on a particular server.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Improve Variable Substitution Feedback/Logging

Currently the information included in the logs, regarding variable substation is very limited:

Performing variable substitution on <filename>

This could be improved in a few ways:
    - Add the number of variables substituted to the logs
    - Include the variable, and value substituted as Verbose (Sensitive values replaced with stars)
    - Add the variable names substituted to an Output variable; I could do my own lookup of the value, and email a report in a follow up script step

In the end, I'm just looking for some way to verify an integral part of deployments.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Enhanced variable substitution in ARM template deployment

When using an ARM resource group deployment, Octopus asks for parameters file, which is JSON, and replaces parameter values with matching variables.

We would like to use the JSON variable substitution syntax mentioned here: https://octopus.com/docs/guides/deploying-asp.net-core-web-applications/json-configuration-variables-feature

this would help us maintain a working parameters file that can be used outside of Octopus.

64 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Prompt Variable Validation (via Regex)

Often the valid set of values for prompt variables are limited. It would be great to be able to add a regex against which the value could be validated in the UI before executing the deployment

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Prompted Variables to save value per Release.

This would allow Repeatable Release from Dev to QA to Prod.

You would ask for value in begging of life cycle just like now,
    but for QA and Prod it would Retain that value entered in Dev as preset.

thank you

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Extend the Subscriptions feature to allow runnable scripts

Octopus Subscriptions should be extended to include support for running scripts (PowerShell, C# etc) in response to events. That, or allow the community to write their own extensions for Subscriptions (similar to how auth extensions were implemented).

This would save us from having to setup an external webhook for Octopus to communicate with / cut out the middle man.

* This was originally feedback from the [Subscriptions blog post](https://octopus.com/blog/subscriptions#comment-2992150730).

58 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Composite Step Templates

There are sets of common steps that we very often want to "bookend" all of our deployments with. One concrete example would be: sending out a Manual Intervention to confirm when all servers are confirmed live before stamping a new deployment in NewRelic.

Right now, everyone has to bake these steps into their own projects by adding the Manual Intervention step followed by the NewRelic Deployment Stamp step. If it were possible to create what I would call "Composite Step Templates" then I could define a reusable step template that was made up of other step templates. That way, instead…

828 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  31 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Make sensitive variables more secure

Sensitive variables pass to script as a String, so they could be written to file/socket. I think there should be an option to make those variables more secure and pass them as SecureString instead of String.

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow integer and boolean types in JSON Configuration Variables Feature

JSON Configuration Variables Feature only support string substitution at this time. At least integer and boolean type should be supported as well.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add more External feed Options

I know the internal repository supports nuget / random java artifacts however many people who use java for deployments currently use nexus or S3 to store assets for deployment. It would be awesome to include these as alternative external feeds.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support for percentage on rolling deploy window size

It would be nice to be able to set the window size of a rolling deploy on a certain percentage.

This helps in scenarios where machines are added and removed dynamically according to load (e.g. AWS Autoscaling)

Practical example, I have an ASG that varies from 4 to 16 machines.

The optimal case, is to deploy on 25% of the machines at any time.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Make 'Release Notes' mandatory when creating a new Release

It would be really nice if you could configure 'Release Notes' to be mandatory when creating a new 'Release'. Part of our deployment process is that we must enter Release Notes, so being able to make them mandatory would be really useful!

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add sorting to Channels

Since 3.4 the Project Overview dashboard is now grouping and sorting by Channel name, with the default channel at the top. Previously, the recently created releases were at the top, allowing for quick promotion.

We have many channels, which are numbered, and with the current sorting, the newest ones appear at the bottom, and out of order (e.g. default, 100, 101, 75,etc.).

It would be nice to add the ability to re-order the channels (on the channels page) similar to how you can re-order steps and environments.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base