General

1. date based retention policies

we are constantly switching branches that we install to our different environments. Noticed the disk are running full and realized it is because packages from old branhces are never automatically removed with current retention policies.

Teamcity has the feature of cleaning out "More than X days older than the last 'build'" and "Older than the X-th successful 'build'"

As I'm writing this I realize it might be quite hard to figure out if a deployment is still in use.. maybe if no current octopus project maps against the packages installed on the tentacle, it can remove the packages/applications from the…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provide a better visualization for complex deployment scenarios/processes

Currently, there is only one way to view the deployment process, as a list of steps. When you have large deployments to multiple environments, it becomes hard to determine what is being deployed where and when, other than looking at the roles/environment tags.

As a scenario:
    - Sitecore CMS application
    - Internal DEV, QA, UAT evironments (the same machine, where that machine acts as both a CM, and CD server)
    - External PreProd environment, consisting of CM, CD
    - External Production environments, consisting of CM, CD1, CD2

While the internal environment deployments are quite consistent, when moving to preprod, and…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Skip to failed step on "Try Again"

When choosing to try again on a deployment it would be really nice to have an option to skip all steps that did deploy successfully.

42 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it more visible when deploying to a subset of machines

Some characteristics of our production environment are hard to replicate in staging. Sometimes we opt to take a machine out of the load balancing rotation and deploy a release candidate to it, before final release.
    But that makes the RC version number show up as the version number for production as a whole.
    Instead it would be nice if there was some kind of visual notification, if an environment contained mixed versions, and an ability to drill down and see the version per server.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Apply desired state to environments

On the environments page, enable desired state configurations to be created and applied to roles. The desired state could be achieved using script templates (similar to deploy process). The desired state could be applied on a schedule or on drift.

There would need to be a way of updating the desired state configuration when something is modified in the deploy process ie. adding a new web site.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Display package versions in addition to project release versions on the dashboard

In addition to displaying the project release version on the dashboard, it would be nice to see the associated package versions as well.

e.g.
    Dashboard
    Dev
    myServices 1.0.1 (myWebservice1.0.2 + myWindowsservice1.0.3)

At present, if you want to find out what package version is associated to a project release you need to drill into the project.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. What Happened to Blue Green Deployment?

There has been discussion about having support for Blue Green Deployments be a first class feature in OD. http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/239-blue-green-deployment
    I think it was even started in a previous release, but pulled out. Any chance it may come back in?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show OS and Powershell version for each tentacle host

We have numerous Windows servers running the Ocotpus tentacle service. These servers are running various versions of Win2008, 2012 and powershell. Different Octopus powershell scripts have different minim powershell versions so it's important to make sure that powershell is the correct version on each server. It would be very helpful if we could see environmental info such as Windows Version and Powershell version for each tentacle machine (perhaps on the machine settings page in Octopus)?

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Lock variables during editing

Not too often, but occasionally we have to update a project or variable library with a lot of changes. It would be great if there was a way to lock the variable set so after someone spends 30 minuets updating the variables they don't get a message stating that they can't save because another user made a change during this time.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. I want to be able to upload sql script files to run as a separate step.

I want to be able to upload sql script files to run as a separate step.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Give API access to the system variables inside of Octopus deploy.

I've been looking through the REST Api,

GET /api/variables/names HTTP/1.1

Seems to show you the names of the variables in use. But there is no existing way to get a definition of what these are through the REST API. This would be highly useful for automated testing.

Some of these system variables are also used inside of the deployment variables. It would be nice to be able to have access to the system variables, in order to resolve the environment variables.

This way a tester could read from Octopus deploy REST API, and execute specified tests.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Use nuget dependencies to track dependency between projects in a given environment

I have read the section on not using dependencies (http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Packaging+applications) and I agree but I think we're missing a nice feature if we consider dependencies as being releases done by Octopus to a given environment that include the nuget that is defined as a dependency. Consider this:

MyOrg.MyApp.Web 1.0.0.0 depends on MyOrg.MyServiceApp.RestApi 1.5.0.0...2.0.0.0.

When I deploy MyOrg.MyApp.Web to environment Production Orcopus could check if I have a release in that environment that deuccessfuly deployed MyOrg.MyServiceApp.RestApi 1.5.0.0...2.0.0.0. Essentially this would make sure all my dependencies between projects are deployed within a given environment.
    It could also warn me about…

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Allow an Agent to auto disable/enable on machine shutdown and startup

We are using Azure Autoscale for virtual machines, when our machines startup and shutdown they need to be disabled in the octopus server to prevent deployments from hanging because some of the enabled agents are not running.

Another factor of supporting auto scale would be to ensure a newly started machine has the currently deployed version of an application deployed.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add support for searching where a defined value is used

It is also important to be able to search where variables are used.
    If you for example refactor the way variables are defined, it is very hard to see if a definition has become obsolete.

I think an optimal way to implement this could be to add a link by each variable telling how many places they are used, and if you click it, you get a list to navigate to the different locations the variabel is used.

If you look for a more advanced way of solving this, I believe the fundamental problem is, that some variabels are to…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Associate variables to environments

I'd like to be able to 'tag' an environment with one or more variables and then be able to use these variables in my release process.

My specific use case is that I'm deploying to Azure and want to set the slot based on the environment being deployed to (Production or Staging). This works nicely with the use of #{Octopus.Environment.Name} if my environments are specifically named "Production" and "Staging", but I'd like to be able scope my environments to project groups and this requires them to have unique names. So I name my environments something like "<project>-Production" and "<project>-Staging", unfortunately…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Pack and Go

Add an option to create a deployment package just like a zip file with parametrizable powershel script file and all packages as a single setup step for non-octopus driven deployment from the deployment steps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. indicate if a release had skipped process steps

we want to quickly identify if a release had skipped process steps.

Some kind of icon or status color.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Decorate overridden config file settings with an Octopus tag (or something)

Some of our services have large config files and we will allow some settings to be defaulted (not configured through the Octopus UI) and others must be configured. I would like a Project Level setting to be included that if enabled would decorate the deployed config file with some indication that Octopus overrode the setting. This would help tremendously to be sure which settings were defaulted and which were set by Octopus.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow configuration transforms on any XML file

Currently configuration transformation only works with files with the extension .config.
    As XDT works with XML it would be great to be able to apply transformation on any XML file. For example on .dtsConfig for SSIS packages.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow option to set or override variable values from within a Manual Intervention step

While we make great of environments and machine roles for our production servers and devices, we still find it difficult to manage certain test scenarios without having to maintain a very large collection of test environments in order to mimic each distinct production environment. It would be nice to have an option, at the deploy time, to override or set certain variables, allowing a single test environment that can be dynamically configured to use various settings.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base