General

1. Deployment Email Preferences by User

Allow each individual determine what deployment emails they want to receive. Users on multiple teams, or large deployment teams, are bombarded with hundreds emails a day. Giving the user the ability to tell the system they only want to receive failures, or no emails at all, would provide a better user experience. Alternatively, if this is not possible, allowing the system to have a single designated email for deployment notifications. This would allow the users to designate something like a Teams Channel to receive the notifications, and cut down on the amount of emails being sent in general.

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please support deployment to Azure Cloud Sevice (Extended Support) targets

Microsoft opened up a preview for ARM base Azure Cloud Service, which is probably hinting on them moving away from a Classic cloud service deployment model:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/cloud-services-extended-support/overview
    Please add support for this type of targets.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add tenant tag support to runbook scheduling

Instead of only allowing explicit tenant selection, add the ability to select the tenants to execute the runbook for by their tenant tags when adding an new scheduled trigger.

18 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add Support for More Runbook Triggers

The only Runbook trigger right now is a scheduled trigger.

I would like to suggest two more trigger types:

Helm Chart Package Trigger:

When a new Helm Chart version of a package is published, then the trigger would fire. (Allowing the calling of a Runbook.)

Version Control Trigger:

If Octopus Deploy added a VCS trigger, then it would allow us to use GitOps.

Both of these allow Operations to enable control from check in / merge point in source control.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Control when Tentacle retention policy step will be executed during deployment

Tentacle retention policy is executed once all deployments steps are completed. When the retention policy step starts running, it blocks any other step.
    This behavior is by design and can't be configured.

This design can cause issues if for some reason the retention policy step encounters issues and takes a long time to complete.

As a workaround we can add a deployment step of a dummy package at the end of the deployment process. As result the tentacle retention is executed at the last step of the deployment.

I would like to have an option to control when the retention…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex for Script console

Parallel execution should be enabled or can be switch on the fly in script console. Via a variable, similar to OctopusBypassDeploymentMutex

With the scenario that there is a process running (read: stuck/looping) in the target and executing a kill command via the script console will get you “waiting for script to finish in task…” so it is currently not the workaround.

Ref case:
    https://help.octopus.com/t/force-stop-a-step-execution/26682/3

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support for .env files with Structured Variables

We are currently using React, Gatsby and Parcel which all use .env files for their environment variables

https://www.npmjs.com/package/dotenv

Currently .env files are not being recognized, they are assuming they are yaml files, which they are not, they are read similar to java properties as key values

Right now we have to use variable substitution, but would like to use structured so we don't need to add #{} tags in our code

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Download package option to only keep latest in cache

There are currently 2 package download options when deploying a release: using the package from the cache and always re-downloading. Both of these are useful, but each has one big downside that I think this feature would correct.

When using the package cache, Octopus will never pick up changes that were made to the same version of the package. If forcing a re-download, the package cache can quickly fill up, especially with multiple development teams (and yes, we have retention policies configured -- our packages are unfortunately quite large).

A new option that will just always re-download and keep a…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add First Class Support for Blue Green Deployments

For a product that is all about deployments, not having first class support for Blue Green deployments is.... odd.

Not a lot is needed. In fact you can't put in too much or it will be too opinionated.

Basically, all that is needed is something similar to your "tenant" system with a blue and a green line. But also show on the line which one is currently in use.

The "in use" flag will need a bit of effort as it can be a percentage or a list of users or both. But that is not too difficult to show.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Fuzzy Variable Matching

Allow replacements to be made over different files which share the same structure, but at a higher level requires a fuzzy match.

This would allow us to have a singular variable for repeated applications and the change would be applied to all json files that share the same structure.

Please see the support question below for more specific details.

https://help.octopus.com/t/fuzzy-variable-matching/26563

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Add timeout to guided failures

Add an option to have guided failures timeout out and fail after a specified period of time. I.E it no manual intervention is taking in 1 hour have the deploy fail completely.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Bindable variables for certificates in the kubernetes deploy container step

https://help.octopus.com/t/kubernetes-certificate-variable-binding/26581

In the kubernetes deploy step for the certificate field I have a need to use my own single text box bindable template variable rather than the current selection of certificate type only variables. The reason being that this cannot be scoped across both tenants and environments.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Marking a process step as non critical

Some steps in the deployment process could merely be just to trigger some notifications or sending metrics to other products. These steps are not critical to the deployments.
    A flag in the step could be helpful which can mark it as a critical/non-critical step

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Deployment Time Option

If you redeploy to Tenant and that tenant is deemed to have the latest version, then the tenant is skipped.

Though the main reason (well for us and many other companies I've worked at using Octopus) is that we simply want to re-apply an updated variable set.

In this scenario:
    * I don't want to redeploy the package.
    * I only want to re-run the web.config/appsetting.json transforms.

Install of just the skip option
    (x) Skip deploy...
    ( ) Apply configuration changes only

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Apply the retention policy out of hours (or on a schedule)

Applying the retention policy at the end of a deployment isn’t the best use of deployment time especially in a tenanted environment with many packages to deploy for many tenants on a single vm.

I would love to see an option to apply the retention policy out of hours, when the environment is at a low usage.

It would certainly speed up our deployments.

Similar to, but using a schdule.
    https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/42726191-control-when-tentacle-retention-policy-step-will-b

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow variables to be set as Environment Variables

It would be extremely useful to allow variables to be set as an environment variable before the process starts (and even allow outputs to be made environment variables). At the moment it is extremely hard to write generic scripts for both development and for use in octopus.

Allowing variables to be set as environment variables eliminates this issue as well as allows more providers etc.

If I take a terraform run where the provider (say digital ocean and terraform cloud) can be initialized via environment variables I do not need to litter my scripts with octopus only if conditionals. They…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. visualization of build stability in octopus

It would be great if octopus has a project wise dashboard option where we can create visualization of project build stability like status of last 100 deployments , how many passed , how many failed etc

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Variable value scoped to release version

Often times I need to update a configuration variable but, only once we are about to release a particular release.

For example, if I'm upgrading my SQL server and moving to a new machine. I've got a release for the new SQL server version let's call it 2.0.0.0, however, I can't put my new connection string variable into Octopus configuration because I'm still deploying version 1 releases until it's time to migrate.

What I would like to be able to do is specify that the variable for the connection string is X for all releases prior to v 2.0.0.0 and…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 25 26
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base