General

1. Add Let's Encrypt automation to OD server

Ensuring certificates for the OD server are up to date are a little annoying. It would be awesome if the OD server could support renewing it's own hosting certificate with Let's Encrypt.

I've had a stab at creating custom steps to do this. The main issue is domain validation (DV). DNS validation often requires manual intervention and OD server controls http (see discussion at https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/domain-validation/26512 ).

The only way I see this really progressing forward is if OD server supports Let's Encrypt in the server as a maintanence task as it would be able to respond to http DV requests.…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve variables UI

The variables view is very basic and it generally needs improving since it quickly gets hard to use when you begin adding lots of variables.

1. You have to add the same variable name for multiple environments and the ordering of environments is not the same. This is error prone and makes the list hard to parse.
    2. There is no description for variables so you need to add very long names sometimes. This has already been covered, but I added it for completeness. See https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6079578-enhance-the-variable-maintenance-screen-with-varia
    3. There can be different types of variables which are changed for different reasons.…

991 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    47 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We are happy to announce that a new version of the Variable Editor has shipped in Octopus 4.0! See https://octopus.com/blog/octopus-release-4-0 for more details.

In this first release, we have focused on providing a great variable editing experience, which we hope you will love! Although we haven’t yet been able to implement all of your great suggestions, we have been able to build an extensible variable editor that we will continue to improve in future.

3. Improve Add Step functionality

We are working on making the Add Step functionality much better. The idea is to show built-in steps, community step templates (from http://library.octopus.com/) and custom step templates in one central location. Please let us know what you think by leaving your comment below.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Viewing variables for a release should evaluate nested variables

I regularly use nested variables to minimise the number of variable changes I must make between environments. Consider something like this:

data source=#{Database.Server};initial catalog=#{Database.Name};#{Database.Auth};

This allows me to just specify simple variables for the DB server, the DB name and the type of auth being used, without having to construct a connectionstring every time (and probably making the odd mistake).

It would be great if I could see the fully-evaluated variables when i click "Show variables" on a release - or at least have a switch between the raw variables and evaluated variables.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. allow the Email Step to flag the email as High Priority

A flag on the Email template step to send the email as High Priority. We use the Email template step (when any step fails) to notify that the deployment failed and it would be more convenient if we could set the flag for high priority. I could create my own powershell step, but I thought the out of the box email template step could use this feature.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Quick search for Releases no longer available in Octopus v4.0+

Current configuration (v4.0+) uses dropdown control for Releases list.
    Previous implementation had combo box control and it allowed to do a quick search for large releases lists.

Would love to have this feature back since currently it is not possible to do a 'contains' search among differently named releases.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have an option to disable the Guest/Account question on the splash screen as I always want to login with an account.

Logging in always takes a few clicks with the Guest/Account question. As a dev I never want to see the guest option. Can there be a way of preventing it showing - perhaps via a cookie such as "Remember this choice"?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Paul! You can do this already by disabling the Guest Authentication Provider: octopus.com/docs/administration/authenticat..

You can do this via the UI in more recent versions of Octopus, or you can always do it through the command-line interface. Details are on the page.

8. Configure dashboard to allow selection by project group

Provide an additional option in Configure dashboard to allow selecting project groups instead of just individual projects. This way if an additional project gets added to the group it automatically appears on your dashboard rather than having to look for and add new projects to the filtered list.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Search for user

The users view that pages user into n number of pages, makes it a hassle to find a user when you have 100 or more users.

I would like to be able to search for a user, and search across username, displayname and email address.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make "Run on Octopus Server" a separate permission

As it is now if you can change the deployment process, you can also set scripts to run on the Octopus Server. We want people to be able to change the deployment process, but not to run scripts on the Octopus Server. A permission or feature-toggle to restrict that option would be great.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add option to mask sensitive variable while typing it in

While typing in the value of a sensitive variable, the complete value is always visible while typing it in.

It would be more secure if there is an option to obfuscate the value while typing it in.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Target machines by Tenant in Script Console

It would be really helpful if I could target a set of tenant machines in the script console.

Sometimes I want to run a script on the machines allocated to a specific tenant, but right now I need to pick those machines manually. That's OK if all my tenanted machines are named using a convention including the tenant name, but with the public cloud that often isn't the case.

What would be lovely is if I could choose one or more tenants and have the script console run the script across all the machines those tenants are allocated to.

Likewise…

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Tenant Comment / Alert

It would be nice to be able to add notes or an alert to tenants so that we have some warning about release windows or contact people against a tenant.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. provide a way to send notifications from failed tasks

as an admin, i'd like to receive email notification of failed tasks such as health checks or other automated tasks.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Please have a copy of your W9 on your website.

And please leave a support or contact form so that we can reach out to you with non-technical questions also.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Put the SAVE button in the same location on every page instead of upper right of bottom left.

The SAVE button is in the bottom left on the deploy process config page and upper right for the variables page.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. License Screen - Add Summary

Add a simple summary to the license screen showing how many projects / users / deployment targets are "used" to make it easier to see how much capacity is left in the license and where the capacity is used.

94 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Show all projects on dashboard

Love the filter on the dashboard (v3.3.15), however, we have 75+ projects across 6 groups but it only shows the first 50. It's very confusing which of the first 50 it actually shows. I.E. different groups are missing things... It needs to show them all, unless I customize my display. I fear I am going to miss something that didn't automatically deploy - looking for the red box.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback. This was addressed in the v4 UI upgrade. We increased the default project limit to 200 (previously 50) on the dashboard, plus we always show any failing deployments now. This setting is configurable in the dashboard configuration if you wish to increase/decrease this limit.

19. Different icons/images for the new TFS build steps

Currently the new build steps in TFS 2015 for octopus, have the same image/icon and it's not easy to identify which type of step it is.

I suggest create different icons for each type:

- Package Application
    - Push Packages to Octopus
    - Create Octopus Release
    - Deploy Octopus Release

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add Audit Viewer Role

As an IT compliance officer I need to be able to view the Audit page in Octopus Deploy but I don’t want to be able to make changes to the Octopus System. Please create an “Audit Viewer” role that has appropriate access to the Audit page separate from AdministerSystem

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base