General

1. Allow cloning Library Variable Sets

Allow cloning of library variable sets so it becomes easier to create a new variable set for a new environment.

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    10 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Install Octopus Server on Linux

I'm in a Linux/Mac shop where chef server is the next best thing. If only I could install the Octopus server on Ubuntu the world would be perfect.

54 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for Hierarchical Project Groups

It would be useful to be able to have better organizational power with Project Groups. Is as much, we should be allowed to employ a hierarchical structure with projects spanning many levels deep (instead of one level deep currently with the Project Group > Project model currently used). Look at how TeamCity organizes builds within projects as an example.

This would allow for potential further enhancement say with cascading project group security, environment, variable set, script module, and lifecycle etc inheritance. Again, look to the TeamCity model for more on what I mean...

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow me to see where library variables are used.

When working with a number of library variables, sometimes we don't name them as well as we should. Inevitably, we look at a variable and say "where is this used again? Client side transforms? A step template?" -- If Octopus was able to report which variables were used where, it could help us better remove unused variables, and help us better organize the existing ones.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Permission attributes for variable sets, library variable sets, or even variable

Add RO attribute/flag to variable set to prevent accidentally changes of it. Or even develop extended permissions linked to username, groups etc. For example in our Octopus environment we have default variable set in library for special package and I'm afraid if somebody will change it accidentally and it will affect to whole related projects where it will be used

447 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Support multiple SSL bindings to Octopus Server using SNI

We happened to be hosting https://demo.octopusdeploy.com and https://demo.octopus.com using two difference certificates, but the Octopus Manager really only supports a single SSL binding - the last one in the script wins.

Here's an example of the script that worked using hostnameport instead of ipport:

"netsh.exe" http delete sslcert ipport=0.0.0.0:443
    "netsh.exe" http add sslcert hostnameport=demo.octopus.com:443 appid={E2096A4C-2391-4BE1-9F17-E353F930E7F1} certhash=FAKE certstorename=My
    "netsh.exe" http add sslcert hostnameport=demo.octopusdeploy.com:443 appid={E2096A4C-2391-4BE1-9F17-E353F930E7F1} certhash=FAKE certstorename=My
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe" configure --instance "OctopusServer" --webForceSSL "True"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe" configure --instance "OctopusServer" --webListenPrefixes "http://demo.octopusdeploy.com/,http://demo.octopus.com/,https://demo.octopus.com/,https://demo.octopusdeploy.com/"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe" service --instance "OctopusServer" --stop --start

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Notify when target is unhealthy

Allow email (or other form of) communication when an environment target becomes unhealthy. I ran into a situation where deployments failed because the target was unavailable and I had no idea until the deploy was to occur. This could be a Process Step, but would be nice to proactively know that a server is unavailable ASAP, ya' know?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Ability to start built-in package repository reindex from web UI or API

Nuget push is not sufficient for moving my packages from my build environment up to my octopus server, and would prefer to use FTP.

Nuget.Server and Klondike both automatically scan the file system and add new packages to the index as they appear. Octopus’ failure to do so is preventing us from using the built-in feed.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Preview Transforms for an Environment

When updating Variables, it would be great to see what Octopus will change the web.config to when deployed to an environment without actually deploying it.

121 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Manually force retention policies on tentacles

Currently, retention policies are applied at the end of a deployment only. It might be good to have a way to force retention policies on tentacles outside of the context of a deployment. Maybe a button on Configuration -> Retention -> Top right corner, specific for tentacles.

120 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Extract variables into Variable Sets

I'd like to be able to pick a few variables and either move them to a variable set, or extract a variable set out of them.
    It's particularly useful when I want to share sensitive variables between projects.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Associate Variable Sets to Projects

By default, a Variable Set should apply to all projects, but it would be nice to be able to associate it to a specific set of projects.
    In our team, we have 13 projects that share a variable set. There's currently no way to restrict our users to only have access to those variables without having the same access to other variable sets for other parts of our organization. We don't want to have to duplicate those variables 13 times.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Ability to reorder step template parameters

It would be nice to have the option to reorder step template parameters just like one can reorder the environments.

Right now step template parameters are displayed in the same order they have been created. If one does not pay attention to the order at that time then I can only export the json string, change the parameter order, delete the step template and reimport my modified version.

Also if a step template is modified at a later time and parameters are added or removed, then the order of the parameters might be now incorrect. Imagine that I want to…

135 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add support to octo.exe to clone projects

We are working with projects as templates and thus almost always start from a template which we clone.

To reduce the manual steps involved in the process it would be nice to be able to clone a project using octo.exe

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Search projects by role

We have lots of machines/tentacles with lots of different roles. It would be helpful if we could search all projects that use a given role. This would show us all Octopus projects that are assigned to a given role.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The order of the of the Config Files transform, replace and substitue should the same as the executing order.

if you deploy a nuget you have various options to change config or other files with transformation and replacings.

In the UI the Order is

Configuration variables
    Configuration transforms
    Substitute variables in files

But in the Process executing it is

Substitute variables in files
    Configuration transformation
    Configuration variables

please change to UI to reflect the process.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Clarify boolean logic of tenants & tenant tags on deployment targets

Multiple users at my company have encountered a fairly dangerous deployment target configuration behavior that isn't very clear in the UI. When you configure tenants and tenant tags on a deployment target, the logic is:

Specific tenants OR (tenants tagged <abc> AND <xyz> AND <etc.>).

The dangerous part is the OR. At first glance, beginners at my company have assumed that the tenant and tenant tag fields all have an AND relationship, so they select a specific tenant and various tenant tags that apply to that tenant. They assume this is straightforward, so they don't click the preview button that…

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow retention policies for packages only

Retention policies are great because our storage usage is getting insane with our hundreds of projects. Retention policies aren't being used because the release history/audit trail of previous releases is considered too valuable to remove.

Implement a package-only retention policy where old packages can be automatically removed, but without the need to delete associated releases first.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. It would be convenient if the Tenant had a Description field for explanatory text.

It would be convenient if the Tenant had a Description field for additional text describing the purpose of the Tenant. (Much like the Projects that have a Description field to provide extra info.)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Default channel should be configurable

when we have channels, you can select to group by channels or no grouping. We want it possible to per project or per user to be configurable what grouping to use.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base