General

1. Allow admin to impersonate user

As an administrator, I'd like to be able to impersonate a normal user so I can see what they see when they log in.

Currently, the only way to test the active directory groups is to walk over to a users desk and ask them to log in to verify they can't see what they shouldn't.

Gitlab is a good example of a product that allows for admin impersonating.

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Full change history for library variable sets

None of the current audit log filters (as of v3.3) make it easy to find changes to library variable sets.

Sometimes a value changes and we don't know why. We like to know who changed it, and how long ago (and whether there have been other changes to that variable in the past). Then we can have an informed conversation about it, with those concerned.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make variables groupable/collapsable

In the project I'm currently working in; we have 6+ environments and many variables are unique to these environments.

To get a better overview of all the variables I suggest that you add the possibility to collapse or group the variables by name.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Support changing channel version rules and/or tags with octo.exe

We have quite a few channels. We also create a new feature branch for each feature we develop. It would be nice if I could script changing the version rules and tags via a script instead of the UI.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Support AWS S3 as Octopus server shared storage

I am going to deploy Octopus on AWS. Do you have any plan to support S3 as Octopus server shared storage to store NuGet packages and artifacts?

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Clone a LifeCycle

There should be a way (via the user interface) to clone a LifeCycle.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Change Polling Times

From what I can see, there is no way to change the Polling times for Tentacle clients. The default is every 5 seconds.

It would be good if we can configure this on an individual Tentacle basis and change the interval (maybe through the environment page).

Due to our setup we can only use the Polling technique.

This is our scenario:

We have around 100 web servers spread across 3 environments, DEV, UAT & Production. We have configured this to go through a FW. As an outcome we are flooding our logs with trivial data on the FW.

As we…

91 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support documentation in variables

Add a documentation field in the variables view: a column for "category", or "comments" (informational only). It would be nice to be able to see that a variable is for transforms, or is data that is passed on to an external application, etc, without having to dig through the process. This can be done to some extent with variable names. However, I don't want to be changing variable names down the road just to clarify their usage.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Port Octopus to .NET Core

Moving Octopus Server/Tentacle/Calamari to .NET Core would extend the reach of Octopus Server to other platforms.

220 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have recently made good progress on getting Tentacle running on Linux via netcore and expect it to be available in the next couple months. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3596

As for Octopus Server on Linux, we have also started working on this effort however the current focus is for internal use for running Hosted Octopus. There are some additional complications that come with running Octopus on Linux particularly in the context of “run on the server” and s a result I wouldn’t expect a version of this to be available until mid-year at the earliest.

Most of our other additional tooling and libraries like Calamari are now available to be run on netcore and run on Linux.

10. Cacheless releases

I'd like to be able to setup a project to never cache the steps that were in place when a release was created. Or at least have a way to update that cache the same way you can update to the latest variable set.

When we update the deployment steps now we have two options:
    1) Rebuild from source (which we should never have to do)
    2) Delete and re-add the release (which loses any deployment history)

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow script modules to be associated with "run a script" step templates

I have created a powershell step template to ensure that a package exists at MyGet to work around their eventual consistency ahead of attempting to fetch the package for deployment. In order to utilize this step template, I must also remember to include the script module that it depends upon. It would be great to be able to attach script modules to "run a script" step templates so that you don't have to remember to add the module in addition to the step itself.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support the archiving of non-active projects

From the following support topic http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/6809-archiving-projects

Octopus deploy does not currently support a model for archiving/unarchiving non-active or legacy projects.

The workarounds are permission-based or user-specific but not quite what I would like to see.

what I am suggesting is similar to Teamcity's archiving functionality. I have found this ability in TC to be useful in the 7+ years I have been using it where I have accumulated many different applications, some of which are no-longer in production, some which are in production but in maintenance mode only and those in active ongoing development.

For the most part I only…

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow login only to users in specific AD groups (white list)

Any user that knows the Octopus portal URL can log into Octopus, which will create them a user on the Octopus DB and add them to the "Everyone" group, create entries on the Audit log, etc.

Even though the user won't have any privileges out of the box, implementing a white list system to only allow people in specific AD groups to login would be something good.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Octopus Reporting Feature in built in the Octopus Tool.

Octopus tool to generate Report based on
    1. What's Deployed ?
    2. Who Deployed ?
    3. Deployed To Where ?
    4. Who Approved ? (Manual Intervention Step)
    5. When did the deployment Take place (Week Day & Weekend deployments)

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Filter Environments Shown on Project Overview Page

When I navigate from the dashboard to the Project Overview page, the page should only show the environments that I selected on the Configure Dashboard screen. Also, it would be helpful to filter the list of environments by channel or lifecycle.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow cloning Library Variable Sets

Allow cloning of library variable sets so it becomes easier to create a new variable set for a new environment.

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Install Octopus Server on Linux

I'm in a Linux/Mac shop where chef server is the next best thing. If only I could install the Octopus server on Ubuntu the world would be perfect.

51 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow for Hierarchical Project Groups

It would be useful to be able to have better organizational power with Project Groups. Is as much, we should be allowed to employ a hierarchical structure with projects spanning many levels deep (instead of one level deep currently with the Project Group > Project model currently used). Look at how TeamCity organizes builds within projects as an example.

This would allow for potential further enhancement say with cascading project group security, environment, variable set, script module, and lifecycle etc inheritance. Again, look to the TeamCity model for more on what I mean...

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow me to see where library variables are used.

When working with a number of library variables, sometimes we don't name them as well as we should. Inevitably, we look at a variable and say "where is this used again? Client side transforms? A step template?" -- If Octopus was able to report which variables were used where, it could help us better remove unused variables, and help us better organize the existing ones.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Permission attributes for variable sets, library variable sets, or even variable

Add RO attribute/flag to variable set to prevent accidentally changes of it. Or even develop extended permissions linked to username, groups etc. For example in our Octopus environment we have default variable set in library for special package and I'm afraid if somebody will change it accidentally and it will affect to whole related projects where it will be used

447 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base