General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Automatic Logo Finder

This is a pretty trivial idea, but I like me some logos.
    I suggest on the settings screen when you pick a logo, that octopus could automatically do what I do manually.. and that is look up the twitter account that matches my project and the facebook account and... and show the logo/avatar of each, and let me pick one of those. (perhaps give the option to put a different name since sometimes the obvious name isn't the correct one)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create Administration Apps for Octopus Deploy for IOS and Android

As we know this is the era of mobility and mobile apps, I believe that it is the time for Octopus deploy to have its own mobile apps on Android and IOS. This will be of a great added value for the uses to timely interact, support and troubleshoot specially when they traveling, on move, or unable to access their laptops or desktops.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. SSL Certificate Expiry notification with X Number of days

It would be great to be able to set the number of days for which a Notifcation of an SSL certificate takes place.

Due to a number of external factors we normally plan SSL replacements 60 days in advance so the 20 day expiry warning that is currently set will not be viable.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create jobs for recurring tasks. Use permissions to control task jobs by environment.

Create task jobs for recurring tasks. Use permissions to control task jobs by environment, project, node.

The QA Team could be assigned permissions on a task job to run an iisreset on all servers in the QA environment or particular projects in the environment. Dev Leads could restart Windows services on individual nodes in Dev. Right now a user has to be an Octopus admin to run a custom shell script but we don't want the Dev teams to be able to affect production. I'd rather just create a task job so Dev or QA does not mistakenly run the…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Octopus.Migrator shoud not use meaningless "IDs"

Since the content type and name is obviously a unique key (particularly when exporting to files), Migrator should use the name (prefixed by the type name) as the key when linking from other resources, rather than a phony ID that changes when you import.

That is, rather than a Team having MemberUserIds = [ "Users-1" ] it should have MemberUsers = [ "Users-BobCratchet" ] which is both more comprehensible, and unlikely to change in a simple import and re-export.

We do modifications to our Octopus by exporting from production, importing on a dev system, altering, and re-exporting. However, the IDs…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Full change history for library variable sets

None of the current audit log filters (as of v3.3) make it easy to find changes to library variable sets.

Sometimes a value changes and we don't know why. We like to know who changed it, and how long ago (and whether there have been other changes to that variable in the past). Then we can have an informed conversation about it, with those concerned.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Make variables groupable/collapsable

In the project I'm currently working in; we have 6+ environments and many variables are unique to these environments.

To get a better overview of all the variables I suggest that you add the possibility to collapse or group the variables by name.

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support AWS S3 as Octopus server shared storage

I am going to deploy Octopus on AWS. Do you have any plan to support S3 as Octopus server shared storage to store NuGet packages and artifacts?

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Clone a LifeCycle

There should be a way (via the user interface) to clone a LifeCycle.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Port Octopus to .NET Core

Moving Octopus Server/Tentacle/Calamari to .NET Core would extend the reach of Octopus Server to other platforms.

208 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have recently made good progress on getting Tentacle running on Linux via netcore and expect it to be available in the next couple months. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3596

As for Octopus Server on Linux, we have also started working on this effort however the current focus is for internal use for running Hosted Octopus. There are some additional complications that come with running Octopus on Linux particularly in the context of “run on the server” and s a result I wouldn’t expect a version of this to be available until mid-year at the earliest.

Most of our other additional tooling and libraries like Calamari are now available to be run on netcore and run on Linux.

11. Allow login only to users in specific AD groups (white list)

Any user that knows the Octopus portal URL can log into Octopus, which will create them a user on the Octopus DB and add them to the "Everyone" group, create entries on the Audit log, etc.

Even though the user won't have any privileges out of the box, implementing a white list system to only allow people in specific AD groups to login would be something good.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Support the archiving of non-active projects

From the following support topic http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/6809-archiving-projects

Octopus deploy does not currently support a model for archiving/unarchiving non-active or legacy projects.

The workarounds are permission-based or user-specific but not quite what I would like to see.

what I am suggesting is similar to Teamcity's archiving functionality. I have found this ability in TC to be useful in the 7+ years I have been using it where I have accumulated many different applications, some of which are no-longer in production, some which are in production but in maintenance mode only and those in active ongoing development.

For the most part I only…

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Filter Environments Shown on Project Overview Page

When I navigate from the dashboard to the Project Overview page, the page should only show the environments that I selected on the Configure Dashboard screen. Also, it would be helpful to filter the list of environments by channel or lifecycle.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow cloning Library Variable Sets

Allow cloning of library variable sets so it becomes easier to create a new variable set for a new environment.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Allow for Hierarchical Project Groups

It would be useful to be able to have better organizational power with Project Groups. Is as much, we should be allowed to employ a hierarchical structure with projects spanning many levels deep (instead of one level deep currently with the Project Group > Project model currently used). Look at how TeamCity organizes builds within projects as an example.

This would allow for potential further enhancement say with cascading project group security, environment, variable set, script module, and lifecycle etc inheritance. Again, look to the TeamCity model for more on what I mean...

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Install Octopus Server on Linux

I'm in a Linux/Mac shop where chef server is the next best thing. If only I could install the Octopus server on Ubuntu the world would be perfect.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Permission attributes for variable sets, library variable sets, or even variable

Add RO attribute/flag to variable set to prevent accidentally changes of it. Or even develop extended permissions linked to username, groups etc. For example in our Octopus environment we have default variable set in library for special package and I'm afraid if somebody will change it accidentally and it will affect to whole related projects where it will be used

430 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    21 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support multiple SSL bindings to Octopus Server using SNI

We happened to be hosting https://demo.octopusdeploy.com and https://demo.octopus.com using two difference certificates, but the Octopus Manager really only supports a single SSL binding - the last one in the script wins.

Here's an example of the script that worked using hostnameport instead of ipport:

"netsh.exe" http delete sslcert ipport=0.0.0.0:443
    "netsh.exe" http add sslcert hostnameport=demo.octopus.com:443 appid={E2096A4C-2391-4BE1-9F17-E353F930E7F1} certhash=FAKE certstorename=My
    "netsh.exe" http add sslcert hostnameport=demo.octopusdeploy.com:443 appid={E2096A4C-2391-4BE1-9F17-E353F930E7F1} certhash=FAKE certstorename=My
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe" configure --instance "OctopusServer" --webForceSSL "True"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe" configure --instance "OctopusServer" --webListenPrefixes "http://demo.octopusdeploy.com/,http://demo.octopus.com/,https://demo.octopus.com/,https://demo.octopusdeploy.com/"
    "C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe" service --instance "OctopusServer" --stop --start

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Ability to start built-in package repository reindex from web UI or API

Nuget push is not sufficient for moving my packages from my build environment up to my octopus server, and would prefer to use FTP.

Nuget.Server and Klondike both automatically scan the file system and add new packages to the index as they appear. Octopus’ failure to do so is preventing us from using the built-in feed.

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Manually force retention policies on tentacles

Currently, retention policies are applied at the end of a deployment only. It might be good to have a way to force retention policies on tentacles outside of the context of a deployment. Maybe a button on Configuration -> Retention -> Top right corner, specific for tentacles.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base