General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Pinned packages

When we deploy branch packages as part of a patch, sometimes we are only deploying a few components of a project. The way we do this today is to create a new release, let octopus pick the latest version # for everything and then skip all components outside of the ones that we want to release.

The problem is twofold: 1) We may make a mistake when creating a subsequent release and accidentally forget to skip a component, and then that component would slip through even though we didn't mean to push it and most importantly - 2) This process…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow for expiration of users in a team

We have a need to setup a Production Release Day Only team, and right now we add users to that on production release day, and then have to remember to remove those users, because we don't want them to have access to production forever. It would be nice if a team could be created that has a configurable number of days where any users in that team that have been in that team for more than that configuration would automatically be deleted from the team.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Group scripts in the Octopus Deploy Library by Category

As the number of scripts in the library grows it will be helpful to add more structure to it using categories and/or tags.

Add a "category" and "tag" field to the metadata for each script in the Octopus Deploy Library.

Change the UI to group scripts by Category.

Initial categories could include:-

Workflow (Wait, ...)
        Windows
        NT Service
        IIS
        Database
        Test (NUnit, Http request, ...)
        Data Collection (Disk space, CPU, ...)
        Integrations (Slack, Hipchat, ...)
        Network Environment (Load Balancers, CDNs, etc.)

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Step Template Updating Settings should not cause a new version

As I've gotten more and more step templates, I've realized that there are some of the step templates that I'd like to rename to make it easier to "group" like ideas. The problem here is that as I refine these, each renaming creates a new version. The same would be true of the description. This doesn't seem like something I should be running out to each process to update especially since the name wouldn't update anyways.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • User description

Something I would like to see is user description. We have a few service users and since there is no description we are using a mix of display name and a page in confluence to describe their roles and scope.

And what about having a place to store API keys? Only available to certain roles, let's say system administrators.

0 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Multiple Component Projects

Often times various components that make up a 'whole' project can exist at different version numbers. A WebApi project perhaps, a UI project, a SQL Database project. The three of these things together comprise a single solution. It would be nice to have component based projects (as currently implemented) and then to have a sort of parent/solution container.. so that for the container, I can click a button and bam, all sub-projects get deployed.. or, if I want, I just click a button and release individual pieces of that whole project.

5 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Add OctopusDSC to Powershell Gallery (Microsoft)

The new OctopusDSC is really great, though when spinning up an ami (AWS), i either have to have the module installed on that machine or pull it down from somewhere else (s3)

It looks like Microsoft is setting up a location to store all the DSC modules. Is it possible to add OctopusDSC to it?

https://msconfiggallery.cloudapp.net/

Thanks

7 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Use a web resource as a proxy for a listening tentacle

I'm working in an environment where web servers are sitting in a DMZ that only allows _incoming_ HTTP traffic - no outgoing traffic at all is permitted without going through numerous administrative channels to get ports opened. I do however have full administrative access to the server only.

I could deploy a tentacle in this scenario if I had some kind of web resource that acted as a proxy for a listening tentacle. Octopus would manage the tentacle via <site>/octopus-deploy.axd instead of through the usual listen port.

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Support PCI Compliance with a Single Octopus Server

What would be ideal is for Octopus Deploy to attain a "PCI-certified" status.

I don't know whether this would require 2 linked Octopus servers (as suggested elsewhere), or whether it could be accomplished with a single Octopus server. Here's one idea for the latter (it might display my ignorance)...

1. Switch Octopus into a new "PCI-compliant" mode.

2. Use a clever permissions strategy to segregate users into either:
                    * a ProductionDeployments role, or
                    * something else.

3. Certain target environments would be designated as Production.

4. Only those in the ProductionDeployments role would be allowed to promote a product version…

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow option to export/import Project Steps Only

We are using multiple servers and want to export/import project steps between them. Right now the environments, machines, roles ..etc must match and the variables gets overwritten to import.

An option to export/import project steps ONLY (and via GUI) will be greatly appreciated.

For example, if we have a server for QA, then prosecution, which clearly have different environments ..etc, we want to be able to import/export between these.

14 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Machine Roles: The ability to 'define/manage' these

Hi

I'm using Octopus but the one thing i find a potential problem with is the ability to arbitrarily assign a machine to any role i type in.

I would like to see the ability to have a 'machine' roles 'table' that needs to be setup before any machines can be added to a role.

That way, machine roles can be managed (CRUD functionality).

Thanks!

10 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add the ability to delete releases and deployments from the dashboard

Currently the only way for a release to be deleted from Octopus Deploy is using the retention policies. I think it would be a good idea to allow administrators to delete releases from within the octopus dash board. The administrator should have the following options:

1. Bulk removal of releases - This would be similar to the retention policies. Remove all but the last X releases\deployments
                          2. The ability to remove a single release. Selecting the release should now give the administrator the ability to remove the release
                          3. Administrator should also have the ability to remove deployments as well. …

81 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Restrict a machine to only specific enviroment

I am an administrator and I manage 3 environments DEV/QA/PROD. After I install Tentacle in a prod server, I should be able to add that machine only under production environment.

One way to do is by having a different thumbprint for each of the environments.

16 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Provide visual indication when step feature is removed but configuration remains

Disabling a feature from a step should either remove the configuration (clear out the fields) or provide a visual queue that there is configuration that that will affect the step that is not visible.

I had a step performing an xml transformation. I removed the transformation feature, created a release and deployed but the transformation still occurred. I had to re-add the feature and clear the transformation fields to stop the step from performing it.

2 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add support to octo.exe to clone projects

We are working with projects as templates and thus almost always start from a template which we clone.

To reduce the manual steps involved in the process it would be nice to be able to clone a project using octo.exe

21 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Add a simple cache to the NuGet respotories

Unfortunately, I am forced to work with a very slow NuGet feed and the more packages I upload the slower Octopus is at retrieving them when creating a deploy. Fixing the speed of this is out of my control.

It would be great if you could do some very simple caching to speed this up. Or can you simply limit the number of versions you get from the feed?

Anything to speed up this up would be fantastic.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Tracking releases on other octopus deploy servers

We have a host that controls UAT and production. They manually promote sites by hand currently but are open to something automated that they control.

Internally we have a CI environment and test server but don't want to give access to the host to our intranet or active directory or expose our octopus deploy to the host.

We would like to see the state of releases in UAT and production on the same board as our CI release.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Show default application directory in tentacle manager

On the tentacle manager screen, we currently see the 'Home directory' and 'Logs directory'. How about also showing the default 'Application directory' to which the tentacle deploys?

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • dashboard hover environment shows info of what servers it contains

on the dashboard, if you hover a deploy, you will get more information on that deploy in a little info-box. We would like to see the same behaviour but for the environments. If you hover "dev" it will list you what servers it contains, and a little icon for if it's up and running or disabled/not healthy)

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add Reporting

My Manager is demanding some reports. I would like to have something to give him.

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base