General

1. First level support for HashiCorp Terraform

I would love to see built-in support for Terraform (https://www.terraform.io/). Deployment steps for each Terraform operation like "plan" and "apply" and also a Terraform backend plugin for storing state.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow octo.exe to generate results in machine-readable formats (i.e. JSON/XML)

octo.exe is a great tool that wraps much of the Octopus Deploy API. It would be great if we could specify a parameter --output-format=json or --output-format=xml to have octo.exe generate its results in a machine-readable format for further scripting (e.g. in an environment where I have an older version of Powershell without access to modules such as Octoposh).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Expand the size of defect description box and allow for hyperlinks

As part of my TeamCity builds I like to check if a build that ran a deployment has passed/failed (because sometimes a deployment has suceeded but tests run afterwards in TeamCity have failed), and if it has failed then raise a defect via the Octopus API. I like to add the name and link to the build in the defect description.

However, the the max length of the defect description box shortens the message posted. It would be great to see this increased.

Furthermore, if links could be supported somehow then users could click on the link to take them…

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Create a Widget for Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services

To create the ultimate overview on your Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) Dashboard it would be great if Octopus offers a widget where you can see the Octopus dashboard overview for your project.

More information on VSTS Dashboard widgets: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/integrate/extensions/develop/add-dashboard-widget

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Use samAccountName and not userPrincipalName for user creation

Currently it looks like Octopus uses the userPrincipalName when syncing/authenticating users from AD. Since the UPN may change (for instance when migrating users to Office365....), users will suddenly end up with a new account in Octopus when loggin in using Windows Auth.

Using the samAccountName (as is more common) should allow users to keep their Octopus account/profile in situations like this.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Mix Domain / Local Accounts

We have an environment where there are a mixture of employees / vendors who need different levels of access to different resources in Octopus. No problem. However, I've got a mixture, some who have just local accounts in our Gitlab & Octopus environment, and those who have AD accounts because they use Gitlab, Octopus & other resources in our environment. If it were possible select whether an Octopus user authenticates off of AD or local, that would be MOST EXCELLENT!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Octopus step templates linked with github

We currently are writing many powershell scripts to work with octopus deploy as part of our deployment and then having to keep a copy in our github repo to be used by the devteam. I'd like a way for octopus to have access to the repository and notice there are changes and allow for a manual update, as it currently works.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Extensibility endpoint for custom authentication mechanisms

If we currently look in the current uservoice we will find many items regarding "Azure AD support", "Crowd SSO" or even "Two factor auth". I honestly thing that a simple way to enable those scenarios is to add an extensibility point for authentication mechanism.

This will allow custom authentication (not AD or user/pass) be handled separately and advance in their own. I can see many scenarios around this, including teams and external handling of users with custom databases.

For example, in our organisation we handle developer teams around the Github organisation so when a new user arrives it is just…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Cloning of steps

It would be nice if I could clone steps inside processes. For example if I want to deploy two nuget packages, I need to create one step to deploy a nuget and again create another step to deploy a nuget, instead of just cloning it. It's a waste of time!

279 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    22 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add take parameter to API pagination to be able to get more than 30 items

Today /api/projects (and other api endpoints) has a default limit of 30 item per page.
    We would like a take parameter in order to get more than 30 items.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Guidance for using AppVeyor CI

Provide some really good guidance to help people use AppVeyor and Octopus together.

25 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Version Control of deployment scripts

In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing those scripts or having them damaged would be pretty painful.
    I understand Octopus has backups, but it would be better to be able to get back to a previous version or see where the script had changed. Since we use GIT, I would be completely satisfied if GIT integration was all that you supported. :) I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

431 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    33 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base