General

1. Use Visual Studio Construct a Octopus Project

Octopus was born out of a desire to help .NET developers, why not have someone try this...

Create a custom project type for Visual Studio for Octopus Projects that incorporate these json files.

That would allow a GUI that can easily and ready be documented, it would allow us to integrate them with our source control tools, and more closely align our Octopus projects with our work.

I wish I had those skills, I'm more of a DBA/BI Developer, but I think this idea could work, thoughts?

Keith

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Find() methods for DeploymentProcesses API

There does not seem to be a direct way of requesting more than one DeploymentProcess from the API. I am working on a tool that needs to determine all projects that have deployment processes that have steps with a specific TargetRole. As it is, I have to iterate over every project (hundreds of them in our case) and request each process individually to interrogate the step information. I would be better if I could paginate over the processes directly and only request the projects I care about.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Notification after each step

It would be useful to be able to set up notifications after each step. In our case, specifically, we would like to notify Slack after each completed step.
    I've seen the library script that you can use to add a step to a deployment process to notify Slack, but that would mean notifying Slack only after a deployment is complete. Some of our deployments take a long time and we would like to be able to follow their progress in Slack, i.e. get OctopusDeploy to notify Slack after each individual step.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Create a connector/plugin for Hygieia DevOps Dashboard

I'd like to see a plugin for Octopus deployments to integrate into the continuous delivery process displayed in Hygieia. This would make octopus deploy part of a comprehensive view of work. Hygieia is a DevOps Dashboard to track development. More info and a link to a video explaining the benefits are here: https://github.com/capitalone/Hygieia

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Impersonate user via API (or override created by field)

We use Octo.exe in TFS CI Builds that starts the deployment of the project in Octopus Deploy (OD) to our development environment, using a specific OD user (called TFS Service User). This has been working flawlessly, however it restricts the audit history and (email) notifications away from who "really" started the deployment (the user that check-in). As it always ends up saying/using "TFS Service User (tfs@domain.com)".

It would be nice to be able to create and start the deployment (via Octo.exe) with a provided username to "impersonate".

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Octopack for Portable Libraries aka MonoAndroid

Add support for Octopack Nuget so that MonoAndroid and Portable Libraries can be packed with Octopack.

Currently unable to install Octopack to portable library:
    Could not install package 'OctoPack 3.0.44'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'portable-net45 ....... (and so forth) ..

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Webhook for notification that a release was created

I would like to register a webhook after a new environment is created or when a new release is created. I am currently auto creating environments when a new feature branch is created, but we do not have a great way to auto deploy new releases to the appropriate environment yet. We currently have to poll all the releases and inspect the release notes to determine if we should deploy the release to a specific environment. Having a webhook for a release creation will allow us to support our GitFlow workflow.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Optionally serve artifact files inline (like TeamCity does) instead of downloading them

If there were a mechanism for serving artifact files, we could
    (i) run some lightweight javascript to do things like load-on-demand
    (ii) provide a more integrated user experience (opening a file from downloads feels clunky)

The mechanism could be to show artifact files in tabs in the approval step and completed release summary pages. There could be an 'add artifact tab' option in settings, which allowed you to name the tab and specifiy the artifact file to be displayed.

TeamCity allows you to serve artifacts from tabs in build results through project config options - https://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/TCD9/Including+Third-Party+Reports+in+the+Build+Results

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Split out config file variable replacement so that it can be called external to Octopus

We are using TeamCity as a CI engine, and trigggering OD from there. Once we have triggered a deployment, we want to run tests against that environment.

At present, we need to have the required configuration settings in both OD and the code to allow the tests to point to this environment.

We can currently use the api to get the variable values from a release, and duplicate the code from Octopus to update a config file, however this will be a maintenance nightmare as Octopus evolves.

It would be great if there was a way to use Octopus to…

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. add support to octopack to allow a choice of which Version attribute to use

Currently octopack supports either msbuild override, AssemblyInformationalVersion, or AssemblyVersion and does so in a predefined way. It would be useful if this selection was customisable/controllable.
    E.g. If AssemblyInformationalVersion (which supports string) does not conform to a valid Major.Minor.Patch.Build scheme I would like to specify either AssemblyFileVersion or AssemblyVersion.
    I cannot specify the value of these to octopack via msbuild arguments because the version scheme itself is controlled/applied by a TFS pre-build script.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Create an Azure Web Sites extension that acts as a tentacle to allow tentacle-like deployments OOTB

Azure Web Sites extensions: http://azure.microsoft.com/blog/2014/06/20/azure-web-sites-extensions/

How amazing would it be if you could add in an extension to your Azure Web Site that can connect to a OctopusDeploy server and register that website in a particular envionment with a particular role and have NuGet packages deployed to it?

It would be a much nicer ootb experience then the current Azure Web Sites Web Deploy library item (which is definitely awesome, but it's not very seamless).

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. allow html in the release notes

Would it be possible to update the releasenotesfile switch on octo.exe to allow for HTML files? My build server currently creates an html report for the releasenotes, which i would like to attached to the release via the "octo.exe -releasenotesfile" switch but it always displays an blank section. If I attach a plain text file is works, but I would like to be able to format the report.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Dependencies between modules

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I was creating some powershell modules and I noticed there is no option to set dependencies on other modules.
    This would be great. Right now I am using the description to track the dependencies, but is not ideal.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Improve web application detection by OctoPack

Currently, OtcoPack considers a project a web application if a web.config file is found in its root. My stand-alone ServiceStack service project needs to have such a file when working with Razor support to enable intellisense support in VS. The web.config is never deployed however but OctoPack now deploys the project in web-style. That is, copying all binaries to the 'bin' sub directory while they should really go into the root. See https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/OctoPack/blob/fa2bbe0ce4b489316e090bf35f4d7d74d1d3a92a/source/OctoPack.Tasks/CreateOctoPackPackage.cs#L463

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Octopus variable for Deployment Start Time for scripts

For PowerShell scripts it would be good to know the deployment start time.

This way later scripts can report how long a deployment took up to that point.

(A current workaround is to have a script run at the start that sets a variable for later use by other steps)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 4 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base