I suggest you...

Add notes or description to deployment process step

When working with the deployment process I sometimes find that I have to do something in a step that might not be standard, for example setting a temporary user on the "create app pool" step. It would then be great to be able to ad a note to the step describing what is done and why.

46 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Tonni Hult shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Bryan Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very helpful especially when you want to keep your step names short and have descriptive notes for the step. Granted, notes can become stale over time if they're not maintained but might be worth it in this situation.

• Andrew W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed, this would be super useful, I just temporarily disabled (removed it from a channel) one of our steps (encrypting a section in the config) because it was causing errors. It would be great to be able to add a note explaining why the step is disabled so someone else doesn't add it back in.

• Blair Paine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this. It shouldn't be difficult to implement, it's just an extra field and can use the same description fields as other screens.

Rather than hard coding in some text I may just provide a link to documentation explaining that step i.e. in Confluence.

Feedback and Knowledge Base