I suggest you...

Recurring Scheduled Deployments

It would be great to have an ability to create a recurring scheduled deployment, such as each Monday at 9:30 pm promote from QA to Staging

Source: https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/admin/tickets/1640

432 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminVanessa Love (Admin, Octopus Deploy) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminOctopus Developer (Admin, Octopus Deploy) responded  · 

We have started this feature https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3633

Until this feature is implemented, there are a few achieve this as other commentators have mentioned.

We have a code sample (https://octopus.com/docs/guides/coordinating-multiple-projects/project-coordination-code-samples#ProjectCoordinationCodeSamples-Promotingagroupofprojects) that promotes releases from one environment to another. This can be used as a starting point. In the same document is a code sample that requeues the current task to run every day.

To actually execute the script, a Windows scheduled task, or and Azure function (https://octopus.com/blog/automating-octopus-with-azure-functions) can be used.

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Harald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was actually surprised that this wasn't already implemented. It's something that is possible in f.ex. Teamcity.

• selvakumar palanisamy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is definitely a good to have feature and we can avoid a jams job with powershell which talks to OD to create release/schedule its deployment

• Chris Camburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two additional comments for when this gets done;

1. Please allow using only certain channels. That is currently a feature missing from using octo.exe promote-release, and it would be nice to only promote particular channels.

2. Please allow cron expressions for the schedule. Rather than "9pm" allow it to be something akin to what Jenkins does for their cron expressions, so we can set everything as H (8-10) * * *, which can space out deployments between 8:00 and 10:59.

• Wouter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As other comments underneath; Adding voice to the request for a time based Trigger to deploy stuuf

• Matthew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We absolutely need this functionality! We are going to have to use Jenkins to call Octopus, until this is implemented.

• Narayana R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really useful feature, this would be good to have it in OctopusDeploy (maybe in Triggers ?)

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the position of needing creating scheduled task to run every night at 2 AM.

I don't have access to the Octopus server, other than the interface. So how do i deploy packages at 2 AM? We really need to have this granularity within the project or even at the lifecycle itself.

• David White commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wrote a PowerShell script to do this, using Windows Task Scheduler to kick it off. It's a little complicated because different environments are associated with different channels... so there is logic to find the latest release for a given channel, and only run the deployment if the version has changed from what is already deployed.
        But the configuration (what time/frequency/enabled) is all in Task Scheduler on the Octopus Server, so it is not transparent to other users. That's why I think a preferable solution would be to include it in the product.

• Karthik Rajasekaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We can have a TFS or any build server (which we are using to create a deployment), we can use octopus promote release service and we can schedule the build on run on expected times.

• Chris Camburn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature would best be implemented within the lifecycle itself. Considering lifecycles already have the ability to auto-deploy as soon as it is available, the ability to deploy at X time would be perfect.

On a side note, the ability to "pause" automated deployments would also be nice with this feature. If our lifecycle states that at 9pm we promote from DEV to TEST, it would be nice if we could pause that at the project level should we need TEST to be stable for the next few days.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm just about to set up something hacky to solve for this, maybe using Windows task scheduler. I wish we had this in Octopus...

• Bishoy Demian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At most of my clients there is a need to schedule a nightly deployment to QA environments in particular .. this automates a task we have to perform every day!

• Wes Young commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really need this feature. I'm currently having to remember to deploy to QA daily. Would love to be able to schedule it and forget it.

• Job Vermeulen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to schedule a recurring deploy.
        For example, to promote a release from Dev to Test environment every night. Just like the concept of a nightly build.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base