I suggest you...

Cloning of steps

It would be nice if I could clone steps inside processes. For example if I want to deploy two nuget packages, I need to create one step to deploy a nuget and again create another step to deploy a nuget, instead of just cloning it. It's a waste of time!

279 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
D Lemos shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

22 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michael W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice, can't wait to try it.

Great to see some of these everyday basic requests getting completed!

• Alex M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although this is available via BlueFin, our organisation does not allow installation of Chrome extensions, so this is not an option for us. A native Octopus solution would also be preferable in terms of support, as well as making it an easier sell to other dev teams in the company, since it doesn't require additional plugins/extensions for what might be deemed core functionality.

• Michael W commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a simple and essential request. Don't we have this yet?

Seems like the everyday common feature enhancements are being ignored for months or years -- in favor of the push to develop huge new components of Octopus.

• Dean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I initially voted for this, and then retracted the votes after reading the comment about the BlueFin Chrome plugin. I have installed it, and can say that it works like a charm.

• Glen Boonzaier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be super helpful to us. Especially when creating deployments for the "same" project but on a development branch or something. The step details are exactly the same, the only difference is target environment and package.

• olivier67 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally I would prefer a template function where you have an inactive template project with steps, vars, ...; when you create a new project you use the template -> it uses all from the template but you can override anything specific to your project.
    Team City uses this approach, it is very efficient.

• Juan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was about to add this suggestion. Nice request.
    Hope we have any notice soon about implementation ETA...?

• brendanrichards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd live to see:
    - Clone within a project
    - Clone / copy between projects
    - Clone / copy as a child step - useful for turning an existing project into a rolling deployment

• Alan Chavis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this feature! I have a project with 26 deploy package steps and the only thing that changes between each step is the name of the package to deploy.

• Gavin Burke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a step within a project would be a reasonable ask. Right now I have a step to email a list of people for 4 environments and want to email the same people, plus 1, for just 1 of these four so now have to create the step all over again just for this one simple change.

• Javi Navarro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agree. In fact, TeamCity does a great job on this (copy/clone, copy to another proyect, etc.), so TeamCity can inspire the execution of this idea.

It's a +5

• Freddy Mello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+5
    Also copy not only to one project, but select multiple from list of available projects.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base