I suggest you...

Add support for Python scripting.

It would be great to see Python listed as a script step. Python is heavily utilized in the infrastructure space, AWS, F5, Citrix, VMware and will help to drive full automation further up the stack.

119 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stuart Evans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tommy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm super excited to see this! My team and I would have tons of use cases for Python in Octopus!
        Is there a timeline for the release?

• Robert Blischke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw listed in the Octopus Deploy 2018 Roadmap that support will be added for running Python scripts.

We use python extensively in our deployment processes for out applications, so this will help clean up some of our processes.

Thanks for any info on this.

• James Dawson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I notice that this is now showing as 'Coming Soon' on your scripting landing page (https://octopus.com/scripting), just wondering if you were able to share a rough ETA for this feature?

As background, I have some python code that I want to run via Octopus and am deciding whether to re-write it in Powershell or wait for this feature. Ideally the code would run on the server, but I could live with maintaining a python-compatible tentacle if this feature was likely to arrive in the not too distant future.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new support for "no mono" on Linux is great, but it also remove the support for C# and F# deployment scripts. On top of this PowerShell is not available (and never has been) on the Linux targets. So we are left with Bash *shudders*. There is now a stronger case than every for this, and also Ruby scripting support is the other common Nix deployment scripting language.

• Eddy Cullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PowerShell is like bahs - it's really powerful, but as soon as you get moderately complicated, it really starts to creak. Python is much more elegant and you could use IronPython to deliver the best of both worlds.

• Kimberlad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would let us orchestrate Ansible scripts using Ansible Python API 9i.e. not have to by Ansible Tower and leverage our existing investment)

Feedback and Knowledge Base