I suggest you...

Checkbox and dropdown in Prompted Variables

It would be nice to have variables with promts, that have checkbox (bool) and dropdowns, like in teamcity, to make promotion more flexible, and UI more accurate.

http://screencast.com/t/dIBtbBRM
http://screencast.com/t/fcKDPx3rWS3

For example, we are using that to provide checkbox "deploy offline" if we need to apply large database modifications - it instructs our scripts to take all web sites offline and waits for all database transactions to be completed.

Here is the similiar idea https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/5903784-allow-variable-prompt-to-be-a-datalist-drop-down

162 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Igor Kudrin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mark Horninger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already available for custom step templates. It would be great to have in prompted variables as well.

• Jim Hsiao commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this, Octopus?

Futher more, it will be amazing if we can have a list of checkboxes to supply a list of values to the deployment.

• Joe Pemberton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be awesome to have! We have a master deployment script that feeds a number of things into Octo.exe to create/deploy new environments from scratch. It would be fantastic to have some of these values in drop downs instead of typing(fat-fingering) them in every time.

• Nitin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree will be helpful for avoiding manual mistakes. I am searching for this feature

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could really use this feature! Have a project which requires users to submit boolean values and enter the name of a WebService which makes the whole thing very error prone - I want to present the users with a drop down list of possible webservice values and a checkbox for True/False options. I've played with tenants but it doesn't really work in my situation as there are too many environment/webservice combinations to be displayed sensibly in the UI amongst other issues.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Trevor - This topic is a few years old now, and I can see in Step Templates that you can create variables using checkboxes and drop-down lists, but these are only available to set when including the template is a deployment step.
        We have a number of variables that are prompted for at deployment time, but the user has to type in 'True' or 'False' for boolena values rather than ticking or unticking a check box, and instead of providing a drop down with defined values, the user has to type in a value which must then be checked for validity within the script. Really need this feature!!!

• Craig Shea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a tremendous improvement in the product and is a feature I have used from TeamCtiy myself and would love to see in OD.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Prior to deployment a user should be able to select an input, instead of keying it in. Thus allowing the user to see all the possible options and preventing misspellings.

Bonus: Allow the list to be dynamically populated via PowerShell script by just returning an Array of Strings.

Example: You could send a PowerShell script to an IIS server to see the sites it contains and allow the user to select the site they want to deploy to.

Tags: Drop-down, combo-box , dropdown, combobox, choice

Feedback and Knowledge Base