I suggest you...

Required steps

Make it possible to mark a step as not being able to be skipped.

244 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminPaul Stovell (Founder, Octopus Deploy) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Paul Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the trail of breadcrumbs leads here for what would seem a fairly simple addition to an awesome product - i.e. the ability to permission the disabling of steps in an Octopus process (at design or deploy-time) such that steps can be made mandatory (unless you're an Octo admin).

Arrived here from:
        https://octopus.com/blog/rfc-composite-step-templates
        then
        https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6511629-add-permissions-to-stop-deployers-from-skipping-st
        :)

• Jerry Nothstine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others have said, I would love to have a step that cannot be skipped. I have a current task where this feature would make it a lot simpler to make sure it gets done.

• Tim Cartwright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this should be available. Users being able to skip certain steps can cause us many issues.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love to see this. We have an "Initialize" step that sets some variables used in downstream steps, so this one must always be selected. Would prefer to mark it as mandatory so it is just grayed out and can't be skipped by accident. This would particularly be useful when an error occurred near the end of our 40-step project, so a user could choose "Skip All," then reenable the failed task(s) only. Otherwise, the user has to carefully scroll down to find the "Initialize" step which is not at the very top due to package download steps, and remember to click that. Thanks.

• Daniel Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are also working in a regulated environment. Auditing and various checks are required, for example, querying our change management API to ensure that a particular change has been approved for the time of deployment. Only having people with the right access being able to skip is a step is highly desirable, however someone could still simply remove or disable the step in a process. What would also be idea is a step level permission set. e.g. certain steps that only an admin could add, edit or remove from a process. Possibly even an "admin" step that is always included in every new project, or retro-fitted to every existing one.

• Blair Paine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We also require this feature. I like the functionality which allows users to skip steps but there should be some controls as to the extent.

Working in financial services means we have to be very particular about controls and what can and cannot be executed. While we could see after the event if someone has skipped a step, I would rather prevent it happening (where appropriate to do so) in the first place.

For example, we have a project with a step which gathers facts. This step needs to collect information used in multiple steps throughout the deployment. These facts could be used in any step. With the current setup I would have to include code in every step to validate and check the step was executed in case the end user skipped it.

Suggestions:
        If you have the right permissions (i.e. administrator) then you could go into the options for a selected step and select a "prevent user skip" option or similar.

Another possibility is to have only an administrator or someone with high enough privileges could "override" the option at run-time.

• Tim Walker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is exactly what we need.

We have a windows service deployment project.
        Having the steps that stop and restart the service as non-skipable would be nice.

Feedback and Knowledge Base