I suggest you...

Support moving steps in and out of rolling deployment groups

We have about 40 steps in our deployment process. Moving to rolling deployment it is very labor intensive as each step has to be deleted an created again as a child step. This is not very user friendly. I want to be able to more easily move our steps around to optimize our deployment process.

So the suggestion is to extend the reorder functionality to support moving steps in and out of rolling deployment groups

405 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jan Lønsetteig shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mehmet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can actually enable/disable by using channels. In the channel, you can add/remove the steps as you wish.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Boy, I wish this feature was available! I'm going to have to re-create all 12 steps now. At least I'm using Step Templates, but still, it would have been nice to simply drag and drop them under my new chosen parent step.

• Hem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this implemented with the latest Octopus version? I am not able to convert steps to child steps with 3.x.x verions

• Randal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes vote here, definitely needed.

Once you have all the votes how soon until it makes it into a release?

• David Keaveny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely a requirement as you gain more experience and confidence with Octopus. Otherwise, you end up having to manually copy over steps which you know work, and run the risk of getting something wrong and breaking it.

• Ashar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bump bump bump!!!

Got 60 steps and need to group things together for easier management. Even if we could do this on the database level - after all, we're just modifying JSON - then that would be great as an interim measure until the UI supports the task

• Wiebe Tijsma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here,

I'm really missing actions like 'clone step', or 'copy existing step(s) from project', or 'move from project (for rolling deployments). Recreating/Reorganizing with a lot of projects and steps is quite an issue at the moment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base