I suggest you...

Support a restart as part of a deployment

One of my deployments installs an MSI that can require a restart. At the moment I have it failing the deployment if the error code from the installer indicates a restart is required. When the deployment fails, I manually restart the machine, then restart the deployment manually. Ideally it would be nice if I could ask Octopus to restart and resume the deployment from within the powershell script. I can pull the MSI out into its own NuGet pkg but I'm still left with being unable to restart the machine and resume the deployment as part of the Octopus deployment (from my understanding).

51 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jason HessJason Hess shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adrian WeetmanAdrian Weetman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this. Our use case is when environment variables are added by app installs that subsequent processes need to read. A server restart (or even a tentacle service restart for that matter) would address this issue.

• Terrence JoeTerrence Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We want to completely tear down and build up the server for our rollouts - including webserver features such as IIS. We want to ensure we do not have any manually configured IIS settings for our deployments. Adding / removing certain features is possible in powershell but can require a restart. It would be really great if Octopus Deploy could support machine restarts.

• Jason HessJason Hess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I no longer need this since the restart was related to adding a WIndows feature. I now run boxstarter manually on the machine before deploying from Octopus (manual isn't ideal but it's good enough for me for now). So I basically have a Boxstarter script that I manually manage in hand with the Octopus scripts - both under source control.

Feedback and Knowledge Base