Add a Deploy Feature to configure file system permissions
When we deploy a website we need to grant the user running the IIS application pool access to the deployment directory. Similarly, when deploying a windows service, we need to grant the user running the service filesystem permissions to the deployment directory.
It would be great to add a Feature to "Deploy to IIS" and "Deploy to a Windows Service" that would set the file system permissions for the user associated with the App Pool or Windows Service.
We like to set file system permissions during deployments so we have one less environment-specific issue to worry about (ex: oops, the user running the service in the test environment had file system permissions but the one in production did not causing the application to fail in production).
This issue is particularly important with the "Deploy to a Windows Service". The service will not start until the file system permissions are granted for the user running the service. So we have to use 4 steps instead of 1:
1. Deploy a Windows Service (startup set to manual)
2. Grant file system permissions (using a community step template)
3. Set the Windows Service Startup Type to automatic (using a community step template)
4. Start the Windows Service (using a community step template)
This is a lot of complexity for deploying a windows service and it would be much better if the "Deploy a Windows Service" process worked in this order:
1. Deploy the package & extract
2. Grant file system permissions on the installation directory
3. Install & start the windows service