I suggest you...

Deployment Pipeline as Code

I would like to see the "pipeline as code approach" applied to projects. The main idea is to be possible to define the process of a project using a yml file in a source code repository or package.

84 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EduardoPiairo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Bob Hardister commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me, the request is more basic: "Octopus as code" or "OAC." TeamCity now provides this, and we are doing this with our product infrastructure in Kubernetes.

• Aaron Roydhouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Steve, YAML would be the scaffolding, but there would be no reason that the fields couldn't include whole bash/C#/PowerShell scripts. YAML fields support here-docs so including a small or large script is no problem. That way your pipeline could have Powershell for one step and then bash for another, as appropriate.

• Steve Sherwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea, but please not YAML. We can use bash,C#,Powershell for scripts and modules - Lets have the same choice of languages for pipeline as code.

• elad kirmayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is impotent. We want to use the Octopus Deploy to site we have which are behind firewalls and we cant access them. we need to be able to easily share the flow and allow each changes while keeping view able track on the changes.

• Anders Lundsgard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this one is crucial. Wen the agile teams at my work currently start to realise the beauty of versioning their pipe as code (GitLab CI) Octopus start to fall short because of all web ui clicking to make a single pipe.

Feedback and Knowledge Base