I suggest you...

Add ability to loop a deploy step where multiple roles and role scoped variables are present

Have a scenario where I need to deploy the same package multiple times **on the same set of servers** under different custom directories and different IIS web applications. There are role scoped variables which get picked up for custom installation directory and also appsettings.

I understand that the documentation under https://octopus.com/docs/key-concepts/machine-roles clearly states:

"This means that the step will only execute on Tentacles with at least one of those roles. This does not mean that if the step is scoped to multiple roles that it will run for each role. Instead it will run that step for all machines that have any roles that match any of the step roles."

This would be fine if target machines have only one of the roles which are assigned to the same step. The only way to get this working the way I want it is by cloning the steps and assigning one role per cloned step. As you can imagine, it can get rather long.

Would be great to have octopus loop the same step if it finds that multiple of its roles are assigned to a same target machine AND role scoped variables are defined.

31 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
David Bugeja shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon