I suggest you...

Allow new IIS step to just create IIS resources without necessarily deploying a package

Currently the new IIS step (introduced in 3.4.7) allows you to create Sites, Apps and Virtual directories, but you always have to deploy a package.

It might be useful for some users to be able to take advantage of the IIS functionalities, without having a deploy a package.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/9702

225 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminDalmiro Grañas (Support Engineer, Octopus Deploy) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm surprised this feature isn't already available. Creating a parent website is a fundamental requirement for many IIS projects.

• Raymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd prefer to have a more robust solution based on the IIS step (but without it being tied to deploying a package, of course). Why don't you create a separate step to just create an IIS site and add that to your standard steps? Or even better: Remove the requirement of deploying a package from the IIS step altogether? You already have a standard step to deploy a package, so why also tie that requirement it to the IIS step? That would make a lot of sense to me and make the whole process a lot more flexible and suitable for enterprise usage.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also find this very useful. We deploy web applications below an existing website, that is just used to host those applications.

• AdminDalmiro Grañas (Support Engineer, Octopus Deploy) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty good argument from a user in favor of this feature:

"Before 3.4.7, we did use the step templates in library to create web site and web application. However, the templates in library are not like "Deploy an IIS Web Site" with a more friendly UI and also allowing us to specify more settings in IIS, such as multiple IIS bindings. So, that's why we used "Deploy an IIS Web Site" from 3.4.7."

Feedback and Knowledge Base