Comments on each Variable
Please add a a comments field beside each variable. There are times when an explanation would be extremely valuable.
Adding descriptions to variables is now available as of version 4.0
David Gladstone commented
+1 I completely agree with Sergio
David White commented
I see value in noting a person or team to talk to before editing or deleting a variable (especially library variables).
Rolf Strøm commented
+1 This would be invaluable
Sergio Acosta commented
It would indeed be quite helpful in managing large variable sets. I can think of several scenarios:
* Intended use of the variable, of course.
* marking a variable as 'obsolete' when it is planned to be removed in a future version so developers don't use it anymore;
* listing which components use the variable to help in traceability;
* adding a warning about what to consider when changing the value;
* making a note of the format that the variable should take e.g. "this value must be a comma separated list of non zero integers"
* Making notes about the recommended range of values: “this timeout value should be in the range of 1 to 5000”
* Documenting numeric variable units: “value in milliseconds”
* notes about why the variable is needed
* Stating which other variables are related and should be changed at the same time..
* I’m sure there’s many others..
In a complex scenario, and if the comments field is API accesible, you could even store a json document with metadata about each variable that could be used by an in-house variable management application without OctopusDeploy having to support any extra variable management funcionality.
Adding a description or comment allows a better understanding of what the variable is intended to be used for. I don't believe in general the description needs to be scoped. It will prevent a variable value being changed for the wrong reason. E.g. an "instance" variable name could mean a folder in source control or a sqlserver instance. If this value was changed within a variableset then the impact might be significant.
+1 - this would be extremely useful