I suggest you...

Port Octopus to .NET Core

Moving Octopus Server/Tentacle/Calamari to .NET Core would extend the reach of Octopus Server to other platforms.

208 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Michael Noonan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have recently made good progress on getting Tentacle running on Linux via netcore and expect it to be available in the next couple months. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3596

As for Octopus Server on Linux, we have also started working on this effort however the current focus is for internal use for running Hosted Octopus. There are some additional complications that come with running Octopus on Linux particularly in the context of “run on the server” and s a result I wouldn’t expect a version of this to be available until mid-year at the earliest.

Most of our other additional tooling and libraries like Calamari are now available to be run on netcore and run on Linux.

6 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this just dead in the water to be able to have octopus server on linux? I'd love to be able to spin it up as a container and not have to have a windows docker host

• matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could it be time to revisit this now that Core 2.0 has been released (and Visual Studio for Mac is stable). It could be an opportune time to re-capture all the folks that only left .NET due to the Window's dependency and are now returning and deploying .NET Core to linux and docker setups.

• Cristian Uroz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, porting calamari to .NET Core would enable to get rid of mono on Linux-like targets (and it would be great)

Feedback and Knowledge Base