General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. The "Choose Step" dialog could explain how to get more steps

A simple link "Get more steps" that takes the user to [Library / Step Templates] would help new users discover how to add more step options to this dialog.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Tighter integration between step templates and community library

Bake the Script Library right into the product (granted it assumes that the
      instance can talk to the internet) but it would be nice to not have to
      copy/paste the Octo scripts into my instance, but could just import them.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow Secure Variables in Step Templates

I have a pair of Step Templates that allow me to remove the machine I am deploying to from our load balancer (and then add it back in after the deploy).

I can store the user name and password as "Parameters" but the password is easily visible.

It would be nice if steps had a "variables" section for their own secure variables.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • provide a way to send notifications from failed tasks

as an admin, i'd like to receive email notification of failed tasks such as health checks or other automated tasks.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow Polling Tentacles to contact Octopus on 443 or 80 ports

There is two cases at customer sites, where I have set up Polling Tentacles. I guess the whole design idea of these Polling Tentacles is to ease setup for closed environments and to have to avoid opening Firewall each and every time.

However, since the Polling Tentacle is connecting back on port 10943 instead of port 80 or port 443, in both cases I have had to ask the customer to open outbound port 10943, which is annoying and time consuming.

Would you consider changing the Polling Tentacle to talk back to the Octopus Deploy server in some of the…

219 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have started a beta of a feature that allows communications over a shared HTTPS port and expect it to release it early April 2017, in version 3.12.0.

Even without this feature, it is possible to changed the listening port by running the following command (https://octopus.com/docs/administration/server-configuration-and-file-storage):

Octopus.Server.exe configure —commsListenPort 10944

When configuring the tentacle, the server-comms-port option can be used to specify this new port (https://octopus.com/docs/api-and-integration/tentacle.exe-command-line/poll-server)

However there is a restriction that the Octopus Web UI can’t run on the same port as the comms listen port. Octopus can however be configured to run on just 443 (HTTP) and the comms port on 80 (or in reverse). NB even though comms runs on port 80, it would still use TLS in it’s communication.

• Encapsulate deployment of multiple projects into single event

We have several deliverables that are usually deployed on individual schedules, thus each deliverable equates to its own Octopus Project. There are occasions when we have coordinated releases of many of our projects. In these situations, it would be an improvement to have the ability to define releases for individual projects as we can do now, but group these releases together into a "System" release which includes several "Project" releases.

345 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                26 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Implementing this as described would make for quite a complicated UX. A deployment takes a release of a project, and applies it to an environment. So you’d have to select all the projects, then the releases for those projects. Not to mention getting the order/dependencies right. I can’t see us building something specific for this in the near future.

With Channels in 3.2, I think this scenario can be modelled differently. Say a project has 5 components which are sometimes deployed independently, and sometimes all at once. You could simply create a channel for each of the components, and an extra channel for “Full release”. Steps can then be scoped to each channel and the Full Release channel.

When creating a release, you can then choose whether it’s for just one of the components or all of them, and the UI will change as appropriate. And best of all dependencies…

• Allow for wildcard directory searching for substitute variables in files

We need the ability to allow for wildcard searching of files within the substitute variables in files feature, such as '*\*.config'

Source: UV ticket 871

96 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your input on this request.

Version 3.11.8 now supports wild cards and extended wild card patterns via the ‘Target Files’ UI elements on these 2 configuration additions: ‘Substitute variables in files’ and ‘JSON configuration variables’.

When you try it out let us know if you encounter any issues, either via the support channels or on the github issue.

More details here: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3269

Update: we tried to support full globbing syntax but it broke behavior for customers who had folders with square brackets as part of the name.

• Allow deployments to target roles that don't exist (yet)

Presently Octopus assumes the deployment environment must exist before the project is setup - because you can't create a deployment that targets a role that doesn't exist.

This means that you can get into creating your new deployment, then realize you are blocked from saving, then lose your changes as you a) go and create a role or b) go and talk to the admin (the drop-down won't refresh, so creating the role in a different browser tab doesn't work).

I think it'd be better if you were just warned if targeting a role that didn't exist, but allowed to…

4 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow deployment of a project to an environment without any machines in that role

We have a pretty ephemeral environment in AWS and setup new environments several times a week. Our ELB healthchecks are tied to the web apps we're deploying. This can kind of create a timing or chicken-and-egg problem when we need to deploy a project to a new environment. We have to deploy the app for that box before the ELB kills the instance as unhealthy.

What I'd like to be able to do is deploy a project to an environment then as new EC2 instances are registered with Octopus we lean on deployment triggers to deploy the software as soon…

19 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Set a variable that triggers a manual intervention step

It would be great if we could configure a manual intervention step to only run if a particular variable from a previous step is set. For example if we had a powershell step that was created to determine if a particular process was running, and if it wasnt found I could set a variable to true, that then the next step (manual intervention) finds is set to true and runs, otherwise the deployment continues on.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3986

50 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Certificate Management

We are working on a feature to allow storage and management of X509 Certificates within Octopus.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/2701

If you have any comments or suggestions, please post them to the GitHub issue.

10 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Version Control of deployment scripts

In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing those scripts or having them damaged would be pretty painful.
                          I understand Octopus has backups, but it would be better to be able to get back to a previous version or see where the script had changed. Since we use GIT, I would be completely satisfied if GIT integration was all that you supported. :) I hope this is helpful. Thanks.

431 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            33 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Different icons/images for the new TFS build steps

Currently the new build steps in TFS 2015 for octopus, have the same image/icon and it's not easy to identify which type of step it is.

I suggest create different icons for each type:

- Package Application
                            - Push Packages to Octopus
                            - Create Octopus Release
                            - Deploy Octopus Release

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Cloning of steps

It would be nice if I could clone steps inside processes. For example if I want to deploy two nuget packages, I need to create one step to deploy a nuget and again create another step to deploy a nuget, instead of just cloning it. It's a waste of time!

282 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                21 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Move steps as child steps into another step

On refactoring process steps, it sometimes bugs me to delete a main process step and recreate it as child step.

It would be very nice to move a main step "into" another step as child step. Maybe by allowing reordering steps in the complete hierachy?

75 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Environment and machine conditions should be inclusive OR exclusive

There are multiple places within Octopus where you can set 'conditions' on something by limiting it to a set of machines, or environments, etc.

It would be nice if we could extend this UI to allow the 'inverse' to be selected too.

Examples are:

- A step that only runs for a given environment -> users should be able to say "only the X and Y environment" (which they can do now), or "all environments except X and Y" (which they can't)

- Deploying to a subset of machines (advanced deployment settings) - again you can include machines, but not…

346 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Please have a copy of your W9 on your website.

And please leave a support or contact form so that we can reach out to you with non-technical questions also.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Allow Script steps to be 'other' such as Script CS

There should be an option when adding a script step that you can define if it is PowerShell or Script CS. Right now its PowerShell or nothing. While you can use Script CS instead of PowerShell in your package deployment files, this would be outside of that specific scenario, it's own step.

7 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Have option to use LINQ pad for script steps

LINQ pad is adding a full command line experience and though it would be a good idea to suggest to include. Then we can code in C# as power-shell does my head in some times.

http://www.linqpad.net/lprun.aspx

Might not be possible but worth a suggestion

Aaron

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for voting on this feature. I believe that this is more about supporting C# script steps rather than specifically linqpad. As such, I’m happy to share that support for C# is available in Octopus 3.3 and later. F# support is available in Octopus 3.4 and later.

• non-tentacle nuget package step for custom deployment scenarios

This seems to have already been done with the Azure service deployment step.

I would like to have all the power of the nuget deployments but without requiring a tentacle or relying on the creation of additional service specific step types.

One scenario this solves is EF migrations against a SQL Azure database. The current documented method requires a tentacle installed on the sql server. I could solve this with powershell and migrate.exe run from the octopus server.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base