General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Allow "Configure Features" in "Run Script" steps

I want to be able to say, transform a json file, and then run a script.

Right now the only way to do that is by putting your script into a nuget package, naming it "publish.ps1", using the "Deploy a package" step and targetting it somewhere, then enabling configure features.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Integration with Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams already has a pretty great list of connectors, but one big one is missing... Octopus Deploy!

I would like to be able to receive messages in a channel when a deployment is complete, or certain events happen.

176 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Version control configuration

This was originally raised at https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6186352-version-control-of-deployment-scripts and closed as completed with a solution of scripting the import/export tool.

Raising as a new suggestion as this has come up as few times in support calls and some people have suggested on the original thread that the import/export tool doesn't meet their needs. (Didn't want to reopen the original thread as some people are happy with the provided solution in that thread.)

"In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing…

531 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          19 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Environments per project

The problem is, when you have multiple projects, is not very common that they share the same environments.

"Production" for "Project A" means a very different thing than "Production" for "Project B". Different machines or group of machines in case of a web-farm, for example (Deployment Targets).

Currently, the only way that this could be solved, is by creating custom environments per-project (ProjectAProduction, ProjectBProduction), as discussed in the support site (http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/10999-environments-per-project)

But this is more a workaround than an actual solution. The home page Dashboard gets really messy, because you can't filter environments for certain projects.

I think…

30 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            started  ·  5 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Composite Step Templates

There are sets of common steps that we very often want to "bookend" all of our deployments with. One concrete example would be: sending out a Manual Intervention to confirm when all servers are confirmed live before stamping a new deployment in NewRelic.

Right now, everyone has to bake these steps into their own projects by adding the Manual Intervention step followed by the NewRelic Deployment Stamp step. If it were possible to create what I would call "Composite Step Templates" then I could define a reusable step template that was made up of other step templates. That way, instead…

773 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              21 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Release Manager

Often times with our release we are deploying multiple configurations. With the way octopus stands now you would have to manually go and deploy each project. What we did was created our own tool that uses the API that allows us to deploy multiple projects at once to a particular environment. Something like this might be nice to build into Octopus Deploy itself.

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow Azure powershell steps to run on servers other than the OD server

The Azure powershell steps run on the Octopus server, which is good for ease of getting up and running and small projects, however it is not great when you've got a lot of steps and a lot of projects. This is especially painful when you've got lots of steps that take time. If a cloud service takes 3 minutes to deploy, and you've got 6 to deploy, that blocks the server for at least 18 minutes.

This would probably be even more useful if implemented in conjunction with https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6316906-support-run-on-any-tentacle-model-for-deployment.

I know that some people would prefer still to keep…

5 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Inheritable Templates

There should be the possibility to create project templates which can be chossen when creating a new project. This should then not only copy everything, but keep the reference to the template. So when something is changed in the template, all projects based on this template should be updated as well.

Steps coming from a template should not be editable in a subproject, but there should be the possibility to disable a specific step in a specific project.
                  Also there should be the possibility to add other steps between "template steps" to customize the process.

Teamcity has a simillar model.

200 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

the feature Composite Step Templates has started which should meet most of these requirements. The underlying templates will still be linked so that they can be updated as per normal step templates.

• Allow updating of existing Step Templates via the Import feature

The ability to import step templates from other locations (e.g. Octopus Library) is awesome, but if someone updates the step template the import process can not be used to update the copy I have in my Octopus server. I'm forced to delete the step template and re-import it. Obviously if I have N projects that rely on the step template I'm now stuck because I can't delete it when projects are using it.

Since I can technically update the powershell script and change parameters and so on inside of Octopus Deploy UI itself, importing of existing step templates should just…

24 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • 'Dry Run' Deployment

Sometimes deployments are bad due to bad configuration variables that are un-testable before releasing to production.
                      Having the ability to 'dry run' a deployment and see all the task outputs with specific highlighting for variables and evaluated variables would allow the identification of changes that need to be made before actually deploying to an environment.

619 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Previous deploy variable for environment

I would love to have a variable available that is similar to Octopus.Release.Previous.Number but instead list the previous release number for the specified environment not the project.

9 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Support "run on any tentacle" model for deployments

We use tentacles primarily as machines that deploy code to Azure, thus they act more like "Deployment Agents" than "Deployment Targets". As a result, it would be nice to be able to configure a project/step/etc. to run on the first available tentacle in a pool (defined by environment/role/whatever).

Right now, if I were to have a role "azure-deployer", and I had multiple tentacles in that role, my steps would run on ALL tentacles in that role. Instead, I'd like to be able to have it run on the first available tentacle. Of course, an alternate solution (that we are using…

92 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            4 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • PowerShell desired state configuration

Octopus is a deployment orchestration/application release automation tool. Many companies can benefit from configuration management tools like Puppet/Chef, but for various reasons are unable to use them. On the Windows platform, PowerShell's Desired State Configuration support is designed as an alternative to Puppet/Chef, and makes it easy to automate tasks like configuring Windows features and checking for drift.

However there are limits to using PowerShell DSC for our customers - they may not always be on the same AD domain, there may be security issues, there's no auditing, and no nice central way to manage scripts for the team.

Octopus…

251 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone who provided feedback on this ticket. We published a blog post yesterday showing how to do PowerShell DSC with Octopus – everything from deploying DSC scripts, detecting drift, getting email notifications when drift occurs, and automatically fixing the drift:

https://octopus.com/blog/octopus-and-powershell-dsc

With that in mind, I think many of the comments on this suggestion are “done”. But there might be some areas of DSC support that we still don’t do. I’d really appreciate if you could read the post, and let us know of any scenarios we’ve missed. If it looks like we’ve done nearly everything, I might close this UserVoice suggestion and we can open new, more targeted suggestions for any gaps.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base