General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Version control configuration

This was originally raised at https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/forums/170787-general/suggestions/6186352-version-control-of-deployment-scripts and closed as completed with a solution of scripting the import/export tool.

Raising as a new suggestion as this has come up as few times in support calls and some people have suggested on the original thread that the import/export tool doesn't meet their needs. (Didn't want to reopen the original thread as some people are happy with the provided solution in that thread.)

"In the Continuous Delivery book, Jez wrote that your deployment scripts should be in source control. After creating some pretty elaborate powershell scripts for Octopus, I have to agree. Losing…

351 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      13 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Integration with Microsoft Teams

Microsoft Teams already has a pretty great list of connectors, but one big one is missing... Octopus Deploy!

I would like to be able to receive messages in a channel when a deployment is complete, or certain events happen.

48 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Email notification of health check failure

It would be useful to be able to get an email notification if any of my machines fail a health check.

11 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Support for Azure Service Fabric

Please support deployments of the new Azure Service Fabric "microservice" architecture platform.

See http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-fabric-overview/ for the initial documentation and Channel9 build videos.

554 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            started  ·  22 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow updating of existing Step Templates via the Import feature

The ability to import step templates from other locations (e.g. Octopus Library) is awesome, but if someone updates the step template the import process can not be used to update the copy I have in my Octopus server. I'm forced to delete the step template and re-import it. Obviously if I have N projects that rely on the step template I'm now stuck because I can't delete it when projects are using it.

Since I can technically update the powershell script and change parameters and so on inside of Octopus Deploy UI itself, importing of existing step templates should just…

21 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Create a Widget for Microsoft Visual Studio Team Services

To create the ultimate overview on your Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS) Dashboard it would be great if Octopus offers a widget where you can see the Octopus dashboard overview for your project.

More information on VSTS Dashboard widgets: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/integrate/extensions/develop/add-dashboard-widget

18 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                started  ·  1 comment  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • PowerShell desired state configuration

Octopus is a deployment orchestration/application release automation tool. Many companies can benefit from configuration management tools like Puppet/Chef, but for various reasons are unable to use them. On the Windows platform, PowerShell's Desired State Configuration support is designed as an alternative to Puppet/Chef, and makes it easy to automate tasks like configuring Windows features and checking for drift.

However there are limits to using PowerShell DSC for our customers - they may not always be on the same AD domain, there may be security issues, there's no auditing, and no nice central way to manage scripts for the team.

Octopus…

243 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone who provided feedback on this ticket. We published a blog post yesterday showing how to do PowerShell DSC with Octopus – everything from deploying DSC scripts, detecting drift, getting email notifications when drift occurs, and automatically fixing the drift:

https://octopus.com/blog/octopus-and-powershell-dsc

With that in mind, I think many of the comments on this suggestion are “done”. But there might be some areas of DSC support that we still don’t do. I’d really appreciate if you could read the post, and let us know of any scenarios we’ve missed. If it looks like we’ve done nearly everything, I might close this UserVoice suggestion and we can open new, more targeted suggestions for any gaps.

• Previous deploy variable for environment

I would love to have a variable available that is similar to Octopus.Release.Previous.Number but instead list the previous release number for the specified environment not the project.

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base