General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Composite Step Templates

There are sets of common steps that we very often want to "bookend" all of our deployments with. One concrete example would be: sending out a Manual Intervention to confirm when all servers are confirmed live before stamping a new deployment in NewRelic.

Right now, everyone has to bake these steps into their own projects by adding the Manual Intervention step followed by the NewRelic Deployment Stamp step. If it were possible to create what I would call "Composite Step Templates" then I could define a reusable step template that was made up of other step templates. That way, instead…

677 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      10 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Port Octopus to .NET Core

Moving Octopus Server/Tentacle/Calamari to .NET Core would extend the reach of Octopus Server to other platforms.

- List item 1
      - List item 2

174 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        5 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have put this task on hold as the .NET Core libraries do not yet have all the bits we need.

We have however ported the following to .NET Core:
        - Octostache
        - Halibut
        - Octo.exe
        - Octopus.Client
        - Most of Calamari

This means these tools can be used on Linux.

We have also built https://www.icanhasdot.net/

We may pick this item up in the future, one the platform matures.

• Allow project dependencies - so deploying one project would automatically deploy all dependent projects

We have many dependencies between our projects. So for example we have cross database dependencies which mean that a particular version of the database must be installed prior to another version. Similarly we have base services that are required by all others that must be installed first. There is currently no way of telling Octopus that one project depends upon another.

We could create one great big Octopus deployment with all the steps in it to deploy the TFS projects/libraries in the correct order. But this would be very complicated because of the large number of dependencies.

It would be…

291 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          13 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi everyone

Thanks for supporting this idea. We’ve had some discussions around this internally, and while we like the concept, it is significantly more complicated than it appears on the surface.

For example, what would happen if the environment changes between deployment of a dependent project and the point where the project that depends on it is deployed? Another edge case is around dealing with failed & partial deployments. There are many more edge cases here as well.

We are hesitant to implement a feature when there are so many situations where it may not work as expected.

It would be very helpful if we could have some specific, detailed scenarios where this functionality would be helpful. Once we have these, we can re-evaluate again.

Thanks in advance,
          Matt

• Install Octopus Server on Linux

I'm in a Linux/Mac shop where chef server is the next best thing. If only I could install the Octopus server on Ubuntu the world would be perfect.

16 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Inheritable Templates

There should be the possibility to create project templates which can be chossen when creating a new project. This should then not only copy everything, but keep the reference to the template. So when something is changed in the template, all projects based on this template should be updated as well.

Steps coming from a template should not be editable in a subproject, but there should be the possibility to disable a specific step in a specific project.
            Also there should be the possibility to add other steps between "template steps" to customize the process.

Teamcity has a simillar model.

175 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ability to do swing site deployment between staging and production role

We can deploy a release to staging and then promote it to production, it would be great if as part of the promote, we could swing the existing production deployment to staging and then promote the new release to production and also give an option to rollback to previous release.

10 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is a really interesting suggestion and topic. What I’m not sure about is exactly what Octopus would need to do.

Normally for these kinds of things, you deploy the site, then change the load balancer to send requests to the new servers (the swing).

What exactly does Octopus need to do? Should we automatically migrate the machines in the environment that we deployed to between the staging and production environments, and move the deployment to production too (or, should we just rename the staging and production environments?)

• Integrate smoke tests for post deployment

While we can run smoke tests by using the PostDeploy.ps1, such as running nunit.exe or something similar (frisby.js, etc), it would be great to have a way to integrate back into the dashboard (through the rest api?).

Related links:
                http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/214-running-smoke-tests-after-deploy
                http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/53646

http://jimblogdog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/walk-thru-using-wolfpack-to.html

196 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and for voting everyone. I’d like to get feedback on where we should go with this.

There are a few things in Octopus that already help with this – first, it’s possible to package your NUnit tests and run them as part of a package test (we do this ourselves), or to write a PowerShell step that pings your website to see if it is online. So the actual process of performing the tests is pretty easy. Do we need to write more blog posts/documentation to show how it can be done?

The next part is viewing the test results – in Octopus 2.0 you can “attach” files to a deployment via PowerShell which are then uploaded and available on the deployment page.

Viewing NUnit results XML isn’t that nice though, so I guess it would be nice to be able to render those NUnit test…

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base