General

1. Precompile ASP.net website as part of build

The ability to precompile an ASP.net website in Octopack or as part of the build to allow deployments to be shorter for multiple environments.

Please see the source for much more detail!

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/887

185 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We think that precompilation is best done at compile time, however have been hesitant to it into OctoPack as there are many options to the pre-compilation. Keeping it as a msbuild separate step that is run before OctoPack keeps things flexible.

In light of @Loránd’s project (thank you) and the alternative instructions @David shared, we think that adding this functionality to OctoPack would not add any value.

2. Re-think the new UI! It is awful!!!

To be honest I am not sure why you changed your UI. Other than a bug when adding variables, it was fairly good. My suggestion is that you need to put a lot more time into your UI. The UI for version 4 is awful, sorry but it is and the version 3 was much easier to use. It took me an hour to figure out that what I thought was a table header for the variable list was how you add a new variable, was not clear it was an input form. You hide way too many things, took…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Delete config transforms automatically after deploying to web servers

The config transforms e.g. Web.Release.config and Web.Production.config are applied and then left in each environment once deployed.

It would be nice if the transforms were deleted after they were applied - as they aren't needed after that. Just to keep things a bit more tidy.

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Version control of parameters and deploy configuration

It would be really nice if you could enter have the parameters under version control or some history of changes you make.

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion.

We currently keep track of snapshots of deployment processes and variable sets, and changes to them are exposed via the audit log, which I think addresses the scenario in this suggestion. And you could use the REST API to export the variable set/deployment process now too and commit that to your version control of choice.

5. 24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Tentacle as a product - goodbye Wix

If you have a product that requires on-premise installation the defacto product people use is Wix. Its nasty and full of XML. I was thinking if the Tentacle was a standalone app it could do the deployments.

For example, on a clean install, you give the customer the Tentacle to install, it has a file watcher looking for nupkg. You package up your product and tell the customer to put it in a directory. Tentacle then sees it and installs it and updates IIS etc.

Goodbye Wix!

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Provide a RavenDB Contracts assembly so that the RavenDB LinqPad driver can be used to interact with the backing Octopus data store

There is a RavenDB driver for LinqPad that enables on-demand one-off querying and investigation of Raven databases via this tool. It requires only that a set of POCOs for the data store be provided.

Would it be possible to provide an assembly of just the POCOs that your use alongside future Octopus releases so that we can interact with the RavenDB to drive custom visualizations of the deployment data?

The RavenDB Driver can be found here: https://github.com/ronnieoverby/RavenDB-Linqpad-Driver

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve provided a complete REST API with Octopus 2.0, and we don’t plan to expose the contracts for Raven directly since there should be very few reasons to work directly against the database (and we can’t guarantee any compatibility going forward).

8. Allow the release notes for a release to be included in an email sent via the email step

Provide a variable called something like OctopusReleaseNotes that can be used to embed the release notes for the release in an email.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Push Tentacle Installation from the Octopus server

Automated Tentacle installation is a great start. Now we need to be able to push Tentacle to a machine from the Octopus server. This would also simplify the configuration as it would already have the fingerprints needed.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for this suggestion.

Tentacle can be fully installed and configured via command line and we’ve done a lot to make that easy. To actually execute the scripts on the remote machine really depends on the environment, and I don’t think there’s anything we can add to Octopus that will work for any majority of scenarios. Even if we did execute it, we’d only be making it slightly easier to do than using PSExec/PS remoting/group policy/EC2 user data scripts for the same outcome. So for this reason I’m going to close the suggestion. Thanks!

10. Retention policy to be applied to Octopus server backups

When switching to Octopus 2.0, our backups of the Raven DB octopus server has been growing to 250 Meg. Since there is currently retention policy applied to these backups, we started to run out of disk space on our server at times.

We constantly have a powershell script for now running to do our own retention, but would be great if it was built-in.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Automatically use transformation files named App.XXX.config

For a Windows service, I have to name my transformation file something like MyWindowService.exe.Release.config. This goes against the naming of the standard config file, which is App.config and later automatically transformed into MyWindowService.exe.config.

For consistency, the transformation engine should automatically look for files named App.XXX.config where XXX is the environment or build configuration such as App.Release.config

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Per-release deployment scripts

Sometimes we need to do extra changes when deploying large features. Things like running an SQL script or importing a package to our CMS.

Having powershell scripts which can be applied to specific releases without making our versioning messy would be useful.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

I think the best way to implement this would be to conditionally perform steps in your deploy.ps1. E.g., if you know that this release, you need to run ScriptA.sql, then you could define a variable in Octopus (RunScriptA=true) and check for it in your Deploy.ps1 before running it.

This way if it needs to be run again at some point you can just set the variable to true again, or remove it in a subsequent package.

13. Pivot dashboard by role

As a user
    I want to pivot the dashboard by role
    So that I can see to what roles a project has been released for

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. View differences between environments

It would be good to get the differences between environments, i.e. see that App X and App Y need to be updated in UAT to get it up to date with Buildtest.

This could possibly include a button that would update all those applications.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. octo deploy-release with roles

I'd like to see octo deploy-release support roles.

So you can say what environment to deploy to and what role the machines in that environment must have too.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow inheritance of project steps within a project group.

For example, in a project where there are many individual web sites, some with SQL databases that must be upkept, each of those projects currently has define and upkeep a separate version of a database deploy script, which being replicated in so many different steps creates a maintenance hazard.

I'm imagining a scenario where the you have a group and some child sites, where the parent group/project defines a database deploy step and some variables that can be overwritten in the child projects. So the parent supplies the powershell script step that accepts some variables and the child project is…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Your latest version is disaster!

Your latest version is disaster! Total disaster!

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Expand retention policy to be version based

Currently if you setup a retention policy to be based off 3 items, it will delete folders past the 3 items back. In our scenerio we have version numbers in our Nuget packages and in Octopus of WCF services that are hosted in IIS. We found that when Octopus retention policy ends up deleting a folder that is being pointed to by IIS that IIS will then just fails to load the application pool and crash everything else in that same application pool. To address this, can the retention policy be enhanced to support versioning and especially in relation to…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tentacle to be brandable

It would be great if it was possible to brand Tentacle.

We are looking to use Octopus to deploy our software to client sites and would like to be able to brand the Tentacle service as our software management client.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to close it for now as it would be a lot of work to implement this and it’s not clear to me that it would help a lot of people. The easiest workaround would be to buy the Source license for Octopus, so that we can give you GitHub access, and you can modify the code yourself to make the changes you desire.

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base