Product Feedback

Product Feedback

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. There are times when I have one machine that failed a step and I want to retry that step for that machine only, then continue to deploy the rest of the steps for all machines.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Hi
    In the previous version of Octopus (2.6) the 2 following properties were availabe:
    LastModifiedOn
    LastModifiedBy
    it sounds like there has been a decision to suppress them as part of version 3.x.
    As admin I find this auditing information very useful, and if anything I think that auditing should improve (it is very hard to track changes at the moment) - so I suggest to bring it back.
    See more info:
    http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/7091-api-change-from-26-to-3213-missing-information
    Thanks
    Nir

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Installation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. When running powershell scripts, my understanding is that octopus just calls powershell.exe.

Powershell.exe may default to running the script under .NET 2 or .NET 4, and octopus has no control over this currently.

This can lead to situations where powershell scripts run on some environments, but not others, due to inconsistencies between the .NET version being used accross environments.

There appears to be a simple solution to this problem, that will allow the tentacle to still work in the same way (calling a powershell exe) AND specify the .NET version that the script runs under. Read Tim Lewis's answer (at…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Deployments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Prior to v3 of octopus, when a step required guidance the yellow box would indicate which step required guidance. Since v3 the guidance box no longer indicates which step it relates to and since multiple guidance boxes can appear you can end up clicking on the wrong one to continue when you've sorted out whatever maybe the issue.

Please put an indicator of which step it is that requires guidance back in that yellow box.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. For the support pages such as http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/, consider a stackoverflow styled UI, such as the one used by Jira, https://answers.atlassian.com/questions

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. At the moment, I have to dump the $octopusParameters to the output on the PreDeploy script.

It would be handy to have a new tab that lists all those parameters.

-- TeamCity has a similar concept where it lists parameters used for a build

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When deploying a release, there is a selection box listing each available environmentn for deployment. If would be great if each environment would indicate its current release, if any. We have a multi-tenant application with some clients on a previous version, and we always have to take note beforehand which environments are applicable for a new deployment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. In V2 a deployment with warnings hade a yellow warning sign on the dashboard.

In V3 that yellow sign is now white and looks more like a small "smudge" that one hardly notices...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. With Role based security, if the have a variable that is use by two environments within the scope the user of least privileges cannot see their variables. I propose that it is made visible and not display the other environment within the scope.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add support for Octopack Nuget so that MonoAndroid and Portable Libraries can be packed with Octopack.

Currently unable to install Octopack to portable library:
    Could not install package 'OctoPack 3.0.44'. You are trying to install this package into a project that targets 'portable-net45 ....... (and so forth) ..

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. If an OD setup uses a large number of Environment Variables, it can be difficult, and slow to use them for reference.

i.e. #{EnvironmentPath}-#{Suffix}-#{SecondSuffix} isn't particularly helpful, especially if

EnvironmentPath = #{ServerLocation}-#{ServerType}-#{TenantInstance}

And if it nests further, it becomes incredibly slow to see how it will resolve on a deployment, short of deploying.

If there was a way, during snapshots, or ideally through a "show resolved for : " button, then this would make it easier to reference urls from OD2.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. iam currently doing a full deploy to a staging envoirement were i do i backup/restore of a database and then set the certain values that is depending on the deployment, thats why when you create a deploy i want to be able to have some steps "skipped" by default.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. TeamCity has the concept of Metarunners. These allow you to package up a sequence of build steps into a single new step and reuse the sequence across multiple builds. We have a standard set of approvals that are required for deployment to certain environments. It would be nice to be able to define these approval steps once and share it to all of our applications instead of having to manage the entire process in each application directly.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Please create a site extension (or something similar) that allows me to create tentacles in Azure that are easier to maintain and potentially free (using Free tier) to operate.

This is not a request to allow deploying to a web app using a site extension. This is a request to create a site extension (or something similar) that is a tentacle for deploying to other resources.

Currently, to perform database deployments to Azure SQL databases I am required to get a tentacle up and running somewhere. I would prefer a solution that operates on a Azure PaaS offering so that…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Our company deploys all projects to all environments to simplify the process at deployment time. The problem is we can't distinguish from the dashboard what environments actually have the code deployed and which ones do not because not all code goes to every environment based on the roles. If we could toggle between what has been attempted in each environment and what has actually been deployed, it would simplify post deployment queries. The toggle could be based off the same switch that determines when the retention policy is applied during deployment.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. I want to be able to drop a nuget package and run post deploy scripts without deploying it to an application.
    In my case I want this to be just a package that contains migrations, usually for data fixes, which I can deploy without redeploy an app or have have fake apps in my servers.
    At the moment if I do that (just deploy a package), and not select a windows service/web app deploy the PostDeploy.ps1 in the nuget package never gets executed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. I'm running Octopus Deploy 3.1.1 and some of our Tentacles are running versions 3.0 and 3.1.

One the Environment page, the environments that contain old Tentacles say "Upgrade suggested" which is fine as I understand any 3.0 Tentacle is compatible.

However at the top of the Environment page the banner says "Tentacle upgrade required".

So is the upgrade required (seeming mandatory to continue operation), or just suggested? I feel a tweak to the wording would create a more consistent reflection of what needs doing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. We have multiple solutions some contain both the c# application and the database project, some just contain the database projects and other projects contain items such as SSRS reports or SSIS packages. Each of these is deployed independently via Octopus. A particular business change may result in changing quite a few separate projects. So when we deploy to our test environment we need to deploy a series of project/versions in turn. We need to record the project/versions that have been deployed to test, so that when we come to deploy to production we can ensure that the exact same series…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. I am implementing a large-scale deployment solution with Octous and TFS.

I would like my build to trigger a deployment as soon as the packages have been built.

We build around 40 packages in a five minute window.

I am concerned that if I allowed the build scripts to trigger a deployment as soon as the package is concerned, we could end up with a massive amount of projects being deployed concurrently.

I'd like to see, as a feature, the ability to set a max value per environment. Then, I can throw as many jobs at Octopus during my build…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. We have a multi-tenant setup, with one environment per client. Since we often have multiple minor releases in production at a time, it would be great to see at a glance which version is currently deployed to each environment on the "Deploy release" screen (/deployments/create) so that it's easier to pick the right clients to update.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?