General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Permission attributes for variable sets, library variable sets, or even variable

Add RO attribute/flag to variable set to prevent accidentally changes of it. Or even develop extended permissions linked to username, groups etc. For example in our Octopus environment we have default variable set in library for special package and I'm afraid if somebody will change it accidentally and it will affect to whole related projects where it will be used

430 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    21 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Port Octopus to .NET Core

Moving Octopus Server/Tentacle/Calamari to .NET Core would extend the reach of Octopus Server to other platforms.

208 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have recently made good progress on getting Tentacle running on Linux via netcore and expect it to be available in the next couple months. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3596

As for Octopus Server on Linux, we have also started working on this effort however the current focus is for internal use for running Hosted Octopus. There are some additional complications that come with running Octopus on Linux particularly in the context of “run on the server” and s a result I wouldn’t expect a version of this to be available until mid-year at the earliest.

Most of our other additional tooling and libraries like Calamari are now available to be run on netcore and run on Linux.

3. Ability to reorder step template parameters

It would be nice to have the option to reorder step template parameters just like one can reorder the environments.

Right now step template parameters are displayed in the same order they have been created. If one does not pay attention to the order at that time then I can only export the json string, change the parameter order, delete the step template and reimport my modified version.

Also if a step template is modified at a later time and parameters are added or removed, then the order of the parameters might be now incorrect. Imagine that I want to…

134 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Deployment Pipeline as Code

I would like to see the "pipeline as code approach" applied to projects. The main idea is to be possible to define the process of a project using a yml file in a source code repository or package.

126 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Preview Transforms for an Environment

When updating Variables, it would be great to see what Octopus will change the web.config to when deployed to an environment without actually deploying it.

113 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Manually force retention policies on tentacles

Currently, retention policies are applied at the end of a deployment only. It might be good to have a way to force retention policies on tentacles outside of the context of a deployment. Maybe a button on Configuration -> Retention -> Top right corner, specific for tentacles.

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Support integration with STS based authentication

I would like to deploy OctopusDeploy and have authentication being taken care of by an STS. This could be WAAD (wsFederation), ACS or directly with other social media identity providers.

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow login only to users in specific AD groups (white list)

Any user that knows the Octopus portal URL can log into Octopus, which will create them a user on the Octopus DB and add them to the "Everyone" group, create entries on the Audit log, etc.

Even though the user won't have any privileges out of the box, implementing a white list system to only allow people in specific AD groups to login would be something good.

90 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow custom dashboards

Some of our ops need different dashboard views depending on what they are interested in at the time ... would be could to be able to save 'named' dashboard views that you can easily change in a drop down menu or something similar.

87 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Change Polling Times

From what I can see, there is no way to change the Polling times for Tentacle clients. The default is every 5 seconds.

It would be good if we can configure this on an individual Tentacle basis and change the interval (maybe through the environment page).

Due to our setup we can only use the Polling technique.

This is our scenario:

We have around 100 web servers spread across 3 environments, DEV, UAT & Production. We have configured this to go through a FW. As an outcome we are flooding our logs with trivial data on the FW.

As we…

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add the ability to delete releases and deployments from the dashboard

Currently the only way for a release to be deleted from Octopus Deploy is using the retention policies. I think it would be a good idea to allow administrators to delete releases from within the octopus dash board. The administrator should have the following options:

1. Bulk removal of releases - This would be similar to the retention policies. Remove all but the last X releases\deployments
    2. The ability to remove a single release. Selecting the release should now give the administrator the ability to remove the release
    3. Administrator should also have the ability to remove deployments as well. …

81 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow cloning Library Variable Sets

Allow cloning of library variable sets so it becomes easier to create a new variable set for a new environment.

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support AWS S3 as Octopus server shared storage

I am going to deploy Octopus on AWS. Do you have any plan to support S3 as Octopus server shared storage to store NuGet packages and artifacts?

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Support the archiving of non-active projects

From the following support topic http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/6809-archiving-projects

Octopus deploy does not currently support a model for archiving/unarchiving non-active or legacy projects.

The workarounds are permission-based or user-specific but not quite what I would like to see.

what I am suggesting is similar to Teamcity's archiving functionality. I have found this ability in TC to be useful in the 7+ years I have been using it where I have accumulated many different applications, some of which are no-longer in production, some which are in production but in maintenance mode only and those in active ongoing development.

For the most part I only…

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Save Step Templates as Powershell instead of JSON

The current JSON style templates makes it somewhat difficult to manage updates and changes. When comparing a template exported from my Octopus server against one from the community library (or GitHub), most of the metadata properties are the same and aren't interesting. What's more interesting is comparing the actual Powershell script changes. But having the script embedded in a single line of JSON makes it extremely difficult to actually make a comparison to see what really changed.

Furthermore, in our organization, when we want to make a change for a template in our GitHub branch, pull requests are difficult for…

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Reorder variables on Project Variables Screen

On a projects Variables screen, once we enter a new variable it stays in order on the screen. I would like the ability to drag and drop each line to a new position. This way I can ensure as I add new vars or update existing ones the ordering of them makes sense (at least to me)

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. audit search

Please add search functionality to the audit log. The filtering helps but trying to find changes to a variable library for example is nearly impossible.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Install Octopus Server on Linux

I'm in a Linux/Mac shop where chef server is the next best thing. If only I could install the Octopus server on Ubuntu the world would be perfect.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow for teams to be excluded access to environments, not just included

Currently in the Teams area you can either allow team access to All Environments or select which environments they have access to by including them explicitly. It would be great if we could select environments they should be excluded from (UAT, Production, etc).

We're trying to take advantages of Azure and the ability to create test environments on the fly that allow our testers and developers to create environments for them to deploy to. Under the current access rules they need the ability to access all environments (leaving the Environments access field blank) or add each environment as it is…

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Marking a release amongst release candidates

It should be possible to mark/tag a specific release.

The reason is that we are building a lot of release candidates, but only some of those actually forms a final release, that can be installed at our customers environment.

By marking/tagging these and highlight them in the GUI, it is possible for people to see if an official release is installed at an environment or not.
    This should always be the case in production, and it would be nice to quickly have an overview of that is the case or not.

See also this discussion:
    http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/8125-marking-a-release-amongst-release-candidates

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base