Product Feedback

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

1458 results found

1. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/662

When setting up a user in a team you can currently set Projects and Environments on the team, but if I setup a team as "Project Deployer" they do also get view access for all environments and machines, though they cannot do anything more then viewing.

I would very much appreciate if you could add in a "Roles" field as well in the team setup, so that the users in the team only can see the Environments (Machines) with the same Role.
    As default (If no Roles are specified) all Environments (Machines) should be visible.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  2. On the dashboard, when OD detects there is a new version available on the nuget feeds, a small + symbol should appear next to the project name, clicking this should take you to the create release screen.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/771

It would be nice to be able to specify if tentacle upgrades should be downloaded from the octopus server, or from the official octopus site.

Upgrading a bunch of tentacles at remote locations at once can hammer a single ADSL connection, though I'd assume the Octopus servers would be better set up to serve the upgrades, especially if they're on a CDN or similar.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  4. Make it possible to generate documentation (HTML or Word perhaps?) based on the current configuration. This might be:

• All deployment steps
    • All environments and machines

The documentation should be readable, i.e., here's what's going to happen rather than a JSON dump. Imagine a document you could give to a sysadmin to follow to perform the deployment manually.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/788

Sometimes tools that do expensive things will generate a list of this is what I would do if. Would be similar to the deploy button, but would validate variables in powershell, and would show what the expressions would be if it did run.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/804

The page should remember:

• Whether you like to look at the summary or output
    • Which expansion option you are using

And default to it

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/264

When displaying snapshots, show any variables whose scope values don't appear in the current set available to the project (owner)

At the start of deployment, warn if scope values have changed (e.g. if Production is deleted and recreated, there will be a variable scoped to the old Production environment ID, apparently useful but not applied)

Where the name associated with a scope value has changed, show the old and new names

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  8. If I have a WCF endpoint in my .config file, and an Octopus variable with a name that matches the name of my contract, auto-replace it (just like appSettings/connectionStrings replacement).

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/445

Current project names must be globally unique. Change the rule to make it possible to have projects with the same name in different project groups, but not in the same group.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  10. Make it possible to put environments into groups (or rather, to put Tentacles within an environment into groups)

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/497

185 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Currently it is necessary to page back through the releases list to find one by release number.

Using a text filter rather than specific version search would enable e.g. SemVer release prefixes to be searched/targeted.

Via @readyroll

Perhaps we should just implement a global search?

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  12. If I create a new machine with a new IIS, it comes with a 'default' website.
    Now of course, no one uses that default website, so I would like it completely removed if present.

So, I would like an option to have that done. If not, it likely creates binding issues when the actual site is deployed.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/518

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. If I have a variable set like:

| ClientEndpoint | http://#{ClientAppName} |

...and I include it in a project that doesn't define ClientAppName I'll get a prompt like:

"Hey, you've included a variable set that depends on a number of variables, which aren't currently defined. For example: ClientAppName, ..... Would you like to add these to your project variables?"

Providing a checklist to exclude any that might be coming from elsewhere seems like a necessary UX requirement.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  14. When setting up vpn access for a deployment, it can cause issues if multiple users attempt to setup access concurrently. One way to stop this would be the user checking if any deployments are currently going on, but users don't always have access to other projects.

It would be nice if there were rules setup to limit the number of concurrent deployments, or even just limit certain deployments so that they cannot run concurrently, adding it to a queue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. I've setup global libraries. One is named Global which defines settings (across all environments) while i have other libraries named Dev, QA, Staging, and Prod. I'd like to be able to allow QA users have access to only edit the QA library similarly how they currently can only deploy to QA environments. They would be able
    to define new variables that override the global variables for their environments to validate their testing needs.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  16. It would be awesome if the favicon could change in some way to reflect the status, this enables me to browse other sites and still keep in view the in-progress, success, fail status of a deployment.

When on the dashboard it could reflect an aggregate status.
    When on a Project page the favicon chould reflect that project (or both project and aggregate status)

example: https://status.github.com/

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. How about introducing the option of queueing deployments? Queues will solve the VPN issue in a multi project/environment.

To prevent any misunderstandings, our environment is like this:

Project 1, 3 and 4 is deployed to servers hosted by our company.
    Project 2 is deployed through VPN to a server hosted by another company.

The case we need to solve is to prevent failure when:
    1) project 2 set up a VPN, and starts deploying.
    2) project 1 initiates a deploy while project 2 is still running. This will fail project 1s deploy since the local environment is unavailable (until the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Would be cool to be able to upload documents (e.g. test reports, approvals etc) to a manual build step and have these stored against a release for traceability and audit purposes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →
  19. The current readonly roles do not let a user to see the detailed output of deployments.

In larger enterprises, the dev teams can't deploy to production. However, they need to be able to see the output.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Admin →
  20. Octopus Deploy uses the Environment Name to select which configuration transform files will be applied. Say, for an environment with name "Dev", Octopus Deploy will automatically select Web.Dev.config from each nuget package.

I would like to be able to specify the 'configuration name' used by an Octopus Environment instead of using the default convention of using the Environment name, so I could have two different Octopus Environments, say "Dev1" and "Dev2", using the same configuration transforms, ie "Web.Dev.config".

The goal is to be able to deploy different releases to two identical environments without having to duplicate (identical) transformation files just…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Admin →