General

1. Allow a retention policy for the PackageCache

For Packages I can define a retention policy. However I observe the disk space usage keeps increasing and runs out of space once in a while. The reason is that the PackageCache with .octosig and .octodelta files never gets cleaned up. It would be nice if the retention policy could maintain an acceptable size for the PackageCache as well.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Overview of deployment targets

I want a GUI that can answer the question of how many tentacles/deployment targets do we have and what's the health status for them.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Built-in AWS support (like for Azure)

Improve Amazon Web Services integration by adding built in support for AWS.

Example: give your AWS credentials to Octopus and him will create automatically an instance with a Octopus tentacle installed on it.

38 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Octopus step templates linked with github

We currently are writing many powershell scripts to work with octopus deploy as part of our deployment and then having to keep a copy in our github repo to be used by the devteam. I'd like a way for octopus to have access to the repository and notice there are changes and allow for a manual update, as it currently works.

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lifecycle: Optional phase or optional environment

As a user I would like to have lifecycle phase or environment within a phase be optional.

Use Case:
    We have dev test environment which our devs can test stuff before sending it to QA but they are not required to and only usually do so for more complex stories. They also sometimes do ...interesting things with that environment. They need to be able to deploy without restriction or impact on state of other environments.

Our QAs however are required to deploy to QA before deploying to staging/prerelease.

Possible solutions:
    - Optional phase
    - Optional environment in phase that does…

163 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    14 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Proxy support for Server/Tentacle Communications

The Halibut protocol used by Octopus Server/Tentacle to communicate with each other doesn't support proxy servers.

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Deploy to Azure ServiceFabric

Although service fabric is only in public preview, it's likely to be GA early 2016. For us it's something we want to start using ASAP, so it would be great to have out of the box support for from octopus, rather than us having to craft our own powershell deployments.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow variables within variables

Allow the use of variables within other variables. I understand this could become problematic if abused (circular references, etc). However, I think this would greatly simplify administration of large projects/variable sets. For example:

#{Administration.Service1Uri} = "http://myhost/service1"
    #{Administration.Service2Uri} = "http://myhost/service2"
    etc...

This could be change to
    #{Administration.Service1Uri} = "#{Administration.BaseUri}/service1"
    #{Administration.Service2Uri} = "#{Administration.BaseUri}/service2"

These variable now become target netrual, meaning they don't need to be duplicated when a new target is introduced. Simply duplicate #{Administration.BaseUri} for the new target, and the rest will just fall into place.

Another example would be database connection strings, which typically are identical…

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Move steps as child steps into another step

On refactoring process steps, it sometimes bugs me to delete a main process step and recreate it as child step.

It would be very nice to move a main step "into" another step as child step. Maybe by allowing reordering steps in the complete hierachy?

75 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Azure Deployments using service principals instead of management certificates

Add support for using service principals instead of management certificates for deployments into Azure. This allows more granular control over the permissions octopus has.

http://blog.davidebbo.com/2014/12/azure-service-principal.html

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Extensibility endpoint for custom authentication mechanisms

If we currently look in the current uservoice we will find many items regarding "Azure AD support", "Crowd SSO" or even "Two factor auth". I honestly thing that a simple way to enable those scenarios is to add an extensibility point for authentication mechanism.

This will allow custom authentication (not AD or user/pass) be handled separately and advance in their own. I can see many scenarios around this, including teams and external handling of users with custom databases.

For example, in our organisation we handle developer teams around the Github organisation so when a new user arrives it is just…

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Have Write-Warning in Powershell trigger a warning

Short version:

Have the Write-Warning command in Powershell to trigger a warning in a step and write the warning message.

Long version:

I would like an easy way to write change a step's state to pass with warning. I understand that the current workaround is to use Write-Error with the [-ErrorAction Continue] option, but this also seems unnatural because it prints error messages in red, whereas I would prefer to just write warning messages in orange.

The Write-Warning command in powershell seems like an intuitive candidate to achieve this, as it technically doesn't write to StdOut but StdWarning (can be…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Copy feature to deployment step along with Edit, Delete and Child Step

It would be a great feature if deployment steps can be copied within same project and to different project's deployment process.

85 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Better Mobile Views\Layouts

Just upgraded to 3.0. Love the new features. One thing I did not do before but am now doing is monitoring deployments from my phone. I may kick something off before I leave the office and check it when I get home or wherever I am going on my phone. The current layouts do collapse down for a mobile view but they are not very consistent and the grids are hard to navigate. Navigation features (outside of the main menu could use better placement). It would be great if the mobile layouts could be improved when using small form factors.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Environmental setting to immediately start a deployment upon tentacle creation/discovery

You can provision servers and set them to automatically be discoverable. Upon this discovery, I'd love to be able to deploy the latest release to the rest of the environment onto that newly created server.

I'd envisage the option to be callrd something "Automatically deploy latest package to new tentacles".

Reason : I am having to provision servers in AWS as tentacles and then (still not confirmed as doable for my scenario) having to query the API for the machine names to force Octopus to only deploy to these newly created servers (I.e. not do a complete environmental deployment)

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expand lifecycle concept to enable creation of "branches"

We have this scenario: after internal testing is completed (on multiple environments), the next phase in our lifecycle involves manually deploying to 2 environments - QA and Demo.

Circumstances may dictate that either QA or Demo can't be deployed to immediately, so there's no guaranteed order and timing for these deployments to occur.

The following phase is Production, which of course can only go ahead after QA is completed.

So here's our problem:
    a) If we specify that "All environments must be deployed to before progressing to the next phase", we can't move to Production until Demo is also upgraded. …

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Dashboard, collapse project groups

It would be better from a UX perspective if the Project Groups were collapsed by default on the Dashboard. We have 50+ projects and I spend most of my time scrolling down to the bottom of the screen which becomes tiresome.

The ability to filter by status (Failed, Waiting) would also be useful.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Setup/administration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Recurring Scheduled Deployments

It would be great to have an ability to create a recurring scheduled deployment, such as each Monday at 9:30 pm promote from QA to Staging

Source: https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/admin/tickets/1640

465 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    25 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Azure Active Directory integration

Since you already have the ability to integrate with the local AD, this seems like a nice next step.

Some companies, ours included, are moving away from any on-premise hosting including a domain. If we were to use Octopus, we'd have two different places to manage users, which is a bit tedious.

I understand this is quite a large suggestion, but an alternative could an SDK in which we could write our own auth components.

152 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Set a variable that triggers a manual intervention step

It would be great if we could configure a manual intervention step to only run if a particular variable from a previous step is set. For example if we had a powershell step that was created to determine if a particular process was running, and if it wasnt found I could set a variable to true, that then the next step (manual intervention) finds is set to true and runs, otherwise the deployment continues on.

Source: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3986

47 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base