General

1. Filter tasks/deployments by environment, type and project

Right the project screen displays the history of deployments for a project across all environments. It would also be nice to have a environment-centric view of deployment history. I should be able to select an environment, and see the history of the deployments of different projects on that specific environment.

For example, being able to quickly see all of the deployments into just the Production environment would be valuable. This is especially true during active development cycles with lots of builds and noise to filter out.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Done!

Thanks for the suggestion everyone. I want to get some clarification before we implement it.

The dashboard makes it pretty easy to see the current deployment in a given environment (e.g., what is currently deployed to production).

So I’m assuming this suggestion is to be able to see what was deployed to production, is that right?

In the Tasks tab, if we added the ability to filter by environment (and/or project, and/or task type e.g., Deployment), would that help? It should then make it pretty easy to see all deployments for environment X.

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/843

2. Re-snapshot variables on "try again"

I've done a few deployments to new environments which have failed because I've got a variable wrong (e.g a drive letter) etc. If I fix the variable, I then have to a re-deploy and increment the release number which puts it out of sync with the version of the packages I'm releasing.

It would be great if I could hit "Try Again" and have an option to re-snapshot the variables thereby picking up any changes I might have made.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion – Octopus has had this ability for about 6 months now (on the release page, you can see the variables snapshot, and refresh it). We also warn you if you are attempting to deploy and the variables have changed since.

3. enhance the variables editor screen

The variables screen could use a number of improvements, especially when editing. The width of the value column is too small and it makes it very frustrating to use when working with long strings, i.e. connection strings. Same problem in read-only mode for long value strings, the small size of the value column makes it difficult to scan all the entries and see what the values are set to.

A quick fix would be to allow for resizable columns and word wrap. A better/more complicated fix would be change the layout of the page from a simple grid.

Other ares…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Link to matching tentacle installer

It would be convenient if a link was provided in the Octopus Server to download the matching installer for the Octopus Tentacle.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Run arbitrary PowerShell scripts on the tentacles

I'd like to be able to run an arbitrary PowerShell script on a tentacle as part of a deployment step. The script would be uploaded to the tentacle like a package and executed.

This would make pre- and post- deployment tasks easier (stopping/starting services, redirecting load-balancers etc).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Production deployments - require an authoriser

To prevent accidental deployments to a production environment, please could you introduce something that allows a user to schedule a deployment, but one that requires a *different user* to authorise that deployment?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Schedule a release

Schedule a deployment of a release for a date and time

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/252

49 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Don't reupload identical packages, bonus: pre-upload packages!

Can you perhaps store the hash/checksum of a package and only reupload if it changes? It would save 20+ minutes for us each time we get a failed deployment.

Also, the ability to pre-upload those packages would be very beneficial as we can upload during the day and perform the deploy during our given window - which would minimise the down-time

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

See comment – both of these features are now supported. If you think the implementation needs to work differently please raise on help.octopusdeploy.com or create a new suggestion here.

9. Distinguish between Re-Deploy and Re-Upload.

When you check Force redeployment of packages it has to re-upload the packages. Would like to force the package to be "re-executed" but using the .nupkg that was already uploaded.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Configure environment by code

We would like the ability of managing deployment in a dynamic infrastructure. Example: A scaling group on amazon EC2 spawned a new instance and installed tentacle on it. It would be nice to be able to write scripts to config the tentacle with pre-defined fingerprint, and then add the new tentacle to the octopus.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Batch deployments

This feature would make it possible to execute multiple deployments of releases to multiple environments simultaneously.

The UI would allow you to select multiple releases from different projects, and for each release, choose an environment to deploy to. This feature would solve:

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/suggestions/154-select-multiple-environments-to-deploy-to

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/suggestions/174-parallel-batch-deployments

http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/247-project-groups-deployment

189 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In Octopus 2.6, we added the ability to select multiple environments to deploy to. While this doesn’t allow you to deploy multiple releases simultaneously, it does allow you to deploy a release to multiple environments easily, which is what many people in the comments were asking for. Since it’s hard to separate the two, I’m going to close this item to release the votes.

12. Delete .ps1

My goal is to remove our deployment scripts from competitors eyes.

Since the tentacle runs PreDeploy.ps1, Deploy.ps1, PostDeploy.ps1, DeployFailed.ps1 - i would like to tentacle to be responsible in deleting these files on a successful deployment. If it fails having those scripts will benefit if we need to debug through a tentacle using run-script.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Create notification hooks

Email/sms/etc hooks on step/deployment success/failure

108 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    18 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that step templates make it easy to reuse scripts between projects, and the deployment process means you can put steps that run on failure or on success or both, I think this suggestion can be closed as “done”. There’s even a HipChat step template available to use right now:

http://library.octopusdeploy.com/#!/step-template/actiontemplate-hipchat-notify

I’ll close this since I don’t think we’ll do much else around this for the time being – that will free up some votes. Thanks all!

Thanks for this suggestion everyone! I’d like to get some input on how notifications should work.

Implementing a special notifications feature is tempting, but I think it could become a hugely complicated feature, especially when people want to only run notifications when deploying to certain environments, or only on failure, or to skip a notification just this once, etc..

I’d like to find a way to support this, without requiring months of dev…

14. log output from scripts as it is written

Log output from deploy scripts as it is written. We run a backup script before updating that can take a while, but we have to wait until it is finished to see what was happening.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Adding release notes after release is created

I think it would be a nice feature to be able to add release notes after the release package has been created. If you are working in a CI environment, you will not write those notes on every build. When you decide that the build that was just built should be the one that should be release it would be nice to be able to log into octopus and update the release package that was created with a release note before promoting it to a new environment.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Determine NuGet feed dependent on Environment

Scenario:
    FEED1 populated by the output from the build system
    FEED2 populated by QA choosing version required from FEED1
    FEED3 populated by QA approving a version from FEED2

A project draws from the FEEDs as follows
    Integration from FEED1
    QA from FEED2
    UAT from FEED3
    Producton from FEED3

Could be done as part of project configuration, so when setting up a project you define the feed for each environment

Or could be done at point of deployment, but this potentially allows incorrect feeds to be used

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Use a local cache for packages when promoting between environments

If you use environment in a "progressive" fashion, you deploy the version to an environment, then promote the package to another one, etc.

Currently, octopus download the nuget package for each step, beside the fact that it should not have changed.

We have our nuget feed hosted near our build server (inside organisation) and octopus portal outside. Our package is 20MB, and it takes 5 minutes to upload it to octopus. We don't want to move our nuget feed outside, as we deploy as a build step, and there are more builds than octopus deployments.

Octopus portal could use a…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Non-javascript based links

See: http://puu.sh/12dgc

I'd like to be able to right click "links" and open them in new tabs, etc.

Due to the implementation using javascript rather than "real" links, I'm unable to do that.

Change requested: make use of <a> tags then override in javascript anyway if you want.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Group projects into categories.

For example create a category called Marketing, and then be able to add projects to that category, so that the dashboards can be cleaner and will easily be able to see what's running where.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Global variables that apply to all projects

It would be nice if you could set up global variables that apply to all projects, to set things like common logging connection strings or debug settings that should always be OFF in production etc.

145 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base