General

1. have 3 different deployment results

currently you show deploy results as success as green, success with warning as yellow and failure as red for deployments. The issue is that people that are colorblind would not really notice this, plus in my opinion (I'm not colorblind), I would still like to see a text change in addition to a color change for warnings. I would never consider anything but green as a success. if there is a warning it probably means something failed to work somewhere and it is usually something I want to fix. I see there being two possible solutions:

1. change the warning text…
    1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enhance octo.exe to accept steps to skip

It would be great to be able to provide octo.exe with a list of steps that you could skip.

For instance we now have separate CI and Acceptance projects with the releases being created in each from the same TeamCity build configuration, just because we do some extra steps in CI we wouldn't want to do on our Acceptance environment.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Export deployment steps as script

As a user
    I want to be able to export the deployment steps for a project
    So that I can deploy a release locally on my development machine

With OctopusDeploy, it's extremely easy to perform continuous deployment to continuous integration, testing, and production environments.

However, deploying a project on a developer machine becomes non-trivial. It's trivial enough to script building and packaging to a file but deploying on a local machine is impossible without duplicating the entirety of what OctopusDeploy does in a standard deployment (variable substitution, etc.)

It would be ideal if we could export the deploy steps to…

29 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Select/deselect all steps

Make it possible to select/deselect all steps to skip/run during a deployment with one click.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add more detail to the Releases page in 2.0

The projects/manufacturing/releases page needs to show a bit of detail. In particular: which releases have been deployed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to disable all steps

In Octopus 1.6 we were able to disable all steps and then select only the steps we wanted. We have 30 steps and on any given release we want to only run 5 to 10 steps. It would be nice to have the disable all steps option again.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When embedding release notes, in markdown syntax, in e-mail, parse to simple text format or html

We embed the JIRA's resolved in this sprint into the release notes, in markdown syntax to get hyperlinks to issue and changeset. We also send e-mails out to testers, etc, to let them know what is included in the current release and they can promote to their test environment based on the fixed issues. I would like to embed the release notes in the e-mail, however no e-mail clients (besides gmail of course), support rendering mark down.

So the feature could parse the markdown to either plain text or html, based on the setting in the e-mail step

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Reinstall packages that failed in previous releases *without* force redeployment

At present package installations are skipped if the same version of the package has previously been installed. However this check appears to be really dumb, not accounting for when the previous deployment failed. As a result, subsequent installs skip over that step, and the package will not be re installed until its version changes.

The current workaround is to select 'force packages to be reinstalled', but for a complex deployment this causes everything to be done again (taking time). Or, you manually select which steps to skip.

That's all fiddly and tedious, given the 'pit of success' state would…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Scriptable Tentacle health check

Currently the Tentacle health check seems to consist of only "Is the service running?". It would be very useful to make the Tentacle run a custom PowerShell script on health check.

Alternatively make it possible for the health check to check for diskspace, which is what we currently need.

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Environment email notifications

I'd like to be able to send an email (the same, templated email) for all deployments to a specific environment. This way I wouldn't have to create an email notification step per project.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Automatically select "Specific Version" if user enters a specific version

The radiobutton to select "specific version" for each package of a release should automatically be selected when the user types (or pastes) a version number in the textbox.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When a new server is added to environment have option to deploy current version of software

Hi,

In cloud environments you add and remove servers. Ideally it would be great if we could add a server and its relevant role and octopus would deploy the version of each project currently deployed to that environment and role to bring it up in line with the other servers in that role.

Cheers,
    Andrew

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the suggestion. Octopus 2.3 makes it possible to deploy a release to a specific subset of machines. When you bring a machine online, you can use this to deploy the release to just that machine.

14. Tentacle pulling from server

We have environments that are isolated environments consisting of VM's sitting in their own networks. The only way in/out the isolated environment is via a management server (or jumpbox) Having the Server calling Tentacles forces us to set up port forwarding on servers.

It would be great if a Tentacle could query the server instead of server calling it. All communication would be going out of the isolated environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add a step that allows a powershell script to be run on the server.

I want to deploy octopus release notes. My octopus server is internal only. If I could just run something on the server I would be able to query the api, do any formatting and put it on my server.

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Mark single variable as sensitive

We have defined a rule, that only our Ops team can see ProductionTest and Production environment and this gives a bunch of headaches.
    - Not being able to define global variables
    - Forgetting to set dependent variables i ProdTest and Prod
    - Not being able to see non-sensitive variables in ProdTest and Prod
    - Overhead for Ops, setting up non-sensitive variables

Suggestion: Add the possibility to mark a single variable as sensitive.

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Default "Deploy to:" to blank.

In Projects/Releases/Deploy Release, the "Deploy to" should default to blank, forcing the user to select an Environment. This will prevent deployments to the wrong environment.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Deploying user as a built-in variable

For emails, it'd be nice to have the deploying username/email available for something like email steps and others.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Use 24hr HH format in the tentacle logger

Because of time-zone differences between the Octopus server and one of our tentacles it took me a long time to realize that the wacky timestamps I was looking at were just 12 hour clock formatted, without the AM/PM suffix.

I'd most like 24hr format, but I'll be content if the AM/PM designation was added to the existing format. But what's there right now is confusing and easily misleading.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. add email notifications for failed deployments

I have found that one more than a few instances, a deployment to a environment failed and it has gone unnoticed until we go to manually deploy or promote to an environment. Since we use build automation in some cases a deployment fails after passing tests and the first environment deployment that was automated from our build. When we go to manually promote a build, we see the red icon on the dashboard. It would be great to get emails on any deployment failures so we can address the issue in a more timely fashion. It seems like this has…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base