General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Add ability to loop a deploy step where multiple roles and role scoped variables are present

Have a scenario where I need to deploy the same package multiple times **on the same set of servers** under different custom directories and different IIS web applications. There are role scoped variables which get picked up for custom installation directory and also appsettings.

I understand that the documentation under https://octopus.com/docs/key-concepts/machine-roles clearly states:

"This means that the step will only execute on Tentacles with at least one of those roles. This does not mean that if the step is scoped to multiple roles that it will run for each role. Instead it will run that step for all machines that…

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Better view of un-tenanted deployments

Currently when I add tenants to the project an overview is changing. Without tenats I see deployment for al channels. After adding even one tenant overview changes so I see un-tenanted deployments as single bar. And I see no option to see previous overview which were very helpful. We are working with feature branches with a lot of different channels and now it is hard to check which version is on which environment. It will be great if I can see old overview after clicking "un-tenanted" icon.

37 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Allow for specific files that were added by OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles, to be excluded in package

I cannot not use /p:OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles=True with MSBuild. This parameter is absolutely indispensable. It is not even an option.

However I do not want all the files in the build to be included in the package.

The nuspec file and the exclusions ability therein does not allow to exclude files that were added by OctoPackEnforceAddingFiles.

The effect of this is that I can’t use one of the best features of Octo : deploying to IIS.

Because of a few files that I can’t exclude from the build, I need to deploy to a folder, remove the files that I want, and…

27 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Allow to mark a deployment step as mandatory (un-skippable)

Right now only manual intervention steps cannot be skipped during a custom deployment. It maybe good to be able to mark any step as unskippable.

9 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Allow the use of C# script (.csx) using .NET Core

ScriptCS will no longer be supported under .NET Core.

Please enable support for dotnet-script (https://github.com/filipw/dotnet-script) so that C# scripts can be executed under .NET Core

7 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Add Let's Encrypt support to the Certificates Library functionality

I love the Let's Encrypt integration with the OD server. Setting up SSL for the server is so simple, and I don't even have to worry about renewals as this is taken care of for me.

Now imagine this same functionality for all of your IIS sites.

This is how I envision it could work

- I go to Library > Certificates > Add certificate
              - I'm given the option of importing a cert (i.e. the current functionality), or I can chose to use Let's Encrypt
              - After picking Let's Encrypt, I'm prompted for a bit of info- domain, email…

21 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Support Required Variables

It would be great if my deployment failed if a variable was not available in a particular environment. Currently I place a PreDeploy.ps1 with checks for particular variables (not empty) and I'm wondering if there could be a better experience for specifying that certain (or all) variables must be provided if they are used from PowerShell or elsewhere. We've had issues where our deployment went green but a variable was missing in a particular environment.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Prompt Variable Validation (via Regex)

Often the valid set of values for prompt variables are limited. It would be great to be able to add a regex against which the value could be validated in the UI before executing the deployment

13 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Step for docker package selection

As of version 3.7.12 it is possible to use the "Transfer package" step and use the selected package on custom steps (e.g. push it to an s3 bucket).

However, when it comes to docker "packages" the only way to select a docker feed is by using one of the 3 default docker steps.

It would be nice to have a basic step which would allow us to select only the docker feed and have that step export the image+version (tag) to other steps.

In my case, this would allow me control the deployment of a specific image using custom templates…

10 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Add option to disable package overwrites on upload

When uploading a package, I have an option to overwrite if a package with the same name and version already exists.

This is a security issue, because we can't guarantee anymore that a package deployed to Test, is the same as the one deployed to production, even though the version of the package is the same.

I would suggest to add a server-wide option to disable package overwrites on upload.

2 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Support deployment of Azure Function projects

Support deployment of Azure Function projects

129 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          4 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Add "QueuedBy" system variable for obtaining user who has actually queued deployments

I'm getting persons username when receiving deployment status email from automatically triggered deployment (by Project trigger on machine becomes available event). In the email template i'm using Octopus.Deployment.CreatedBy.Username system variable to display user who has run deployment.
                          So in case of auto-triggered deployments I would like to get value "System" instead of some person's username (apparently one's who first has run the deployment manually).

Ref: http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/problems/52736-octopusdeploymentcreatedbyusername-value-is-not-system-when-deployment-fired-by-project-trigger

56 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Support for Kubernetes

The new Docker features debuting in recent versions of Octopus are really promising, and I'm excited by the Docker Compose RFC published late last year.

Kubernetes is becoming increasingly popular as the production deployment environment of choice for containerised applications. It offers functionality very similar to Azure Service Fabric, in terms of auto-scaling and self-healing of services and applications, but is based around container images rather than zip files.

101 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Browser Desktop Browser Notifications for Deployment Interruptions and Guided Failure

If a user has X tabs open, if any of the tabs enter into Interruption (Prompt) or Guided Failure, the ability to display desktop browser notficiations.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/notification

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Improve Variable Substitution Feedback/Logging

Currently the information included in the logs, regarding variable substation is very limited:

Performing variable substitution on <filename>

This could be improved in a few ways:
                                - Add the number of variables substituted to the logs
                                - Include the variable, and value substituted as Verbose (Sensitive values replaced with stars)
                                - Add the variable names substituted to an Output variable; I could do my own lookup of the value, and email a report in a follow up script step

In the end, I'm just looking for some way to verify an integral part of deployments.

18 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Calamari get_octopusvariable should not return a value and success for non-existent variables

The Calamari get_octopusvariable command for bash currently returns a value on stdout and a success (0) exit value, even if the variable name does not exist, e.g.

foo=$(get_octopusvariable "DoesNotExist")

will return success (exit value 0) and return and error message on stdout:

Unrecognized variable "DoesNotExist"

This is clearly not the value of the variable, nor a success.

I suggest the error message should be returned on stderr and the exit code should be non-zero. This will enabled deployment steps to detect when a variable does not exist (e.g. for the current Octopus scope).

Here is the relevant code:

https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Calamari/blob/c1ca6a1468b33755f67cd5eb14b3b2ea90302567/source/Calamari/Integration/Scripting/Bash/Bootstrap.sh#L51

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Add a download button on Task Summary page.

Sometime you get quite large logs. It would be usefully to have a download button in the Task Summary screen so you can grab the log without needing to go to Task Log screen.

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Assign roles to environments

Currently in Octopus (v3.14) roles can be assigned to individual machines.
                                      However, if an environment consists of a lot of machines and a certain role needs to be assigned to each of those machines, then it would be useful if this role could be assigned to the environment (and automatically applies to all machines in this environment) instead.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Allow selection of page size on tasks screen

When a lot of tasks are queued it is difficult to keep track of them all. Allowing selection of page size would make it easier to see the queue without having to navigate pages.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Show tasks on task page in multiple columns

The tasks page is mostly empty, with all tasks appearing in a single column. When there are a lot of tasks it is difficult to see them all without scrolling and paging. Use the empty space to display the tasks in columns.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base