General

I suggest you...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Make variable list usable for configuring IIS bindings.

When adding a binding to IIS in Octopus, you can only use seperate variable. Every binding needs a new variable. Some of our deployments have over 50 bindings. We create each binding separate. If we use a variable list only the last item of the list end up in de IIS binding. It would help us a lot if we could ad three generic bindings (Test, Acceptation, Production), en in the bindings use a variable list, containing all the IIS bindings.

39 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Highlight the variable Snapshot difference while updating the release snapshot

Whenever there is a change in the variable after the creation of the release, we used to get warning saying "Release Snapshot has been changed". But we do have only one option to update the entire release without knowing what has been changed. It would be great if you have any way to find/highlight the variables and their values that will be updated when I click "Update Variables" in the release Snapshot section. It will minimize the risk when it's comes to updating the snapshots for production deployment and it will give a transparent view of what changes are done…

31 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • promote a whole environment

We have "major deployments". At this time we have to deploy all our applications (~ 70) at once. So it would be nice to have a possibility to deploy all projects from environment-1 to environment-2

27 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Display Deployments Requiring Manual Intervention for a Release

When viewing details for a particular release, we used to be able to see any active deployments that are currently awaiting manual intervention. It seems this is no longer visible in Octopus 4.0. In order to view this, we need to go back to a project's "Overview" to see any deployments that have pending intervention steps to approve. This complicates the workflow.

17 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

Nithin are you talking about in the release page? If so then the deployment status should already be visible, including if it's paused for manual intervention (icon looks like an eye). Could you log a ticket through supportoctopus.com along with screenshots so that we can investigate?

• Environments screen to filter by Tentacle or Calamari updates

In v4, it would be helpful to know how many machines in each environment need Calamari and/or Tentacle upgrades (possibly next to the health indicators on the right?)

As of right now, customers can't see (from this overview) which servers need updates.

At a minimum, we need an API filter that allows us to search for servers that need Tentacle or Calamari updates.

Source: https://secure.helpscout.net/conversation/479027453?folderId=557077

16 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Scope variable to Package/Step

We have a project existing out of 60 packages.
              In every package the in a appsetting in the config file.
              We now need to have in 1 specific package another value for the appsetting.
              Now we need to create a new appsetting in the config file and do some coding to read another appsetting for that 1 specific package.
              If it would be possible to scope a variable to a spefic step/package would be nice.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Service fabric option to set 'TimeoutSec' & 'Async' parameters

When setting up a service fabric process, we should be able to set the 'TimeoutSec' and 'Async' parameters to allow for deploying larger service fabric applications.

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-deploy-remove-applications#register-the-application-package for more information regarding the parameters

17 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Color Coordinate

Different color for version #'s on different environments.

For instance right now they are both green even if the version numbers are different.

So Test v1.0.1 | Prod v1.0.0 both show green but at a quick glance on the dashboard it would be nice that Prod would be a different (vague) color to signify it is a different version that is on test.

6 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Tentacleless deployments using WinRM

Now that Octopus Deploy can do deployments via SSH, it seems like it would be fairly simply to implement the ability to do deployments by connecting over Windows Remote Management (WinRM).
                    Agentless deployments is a selling point used by other deployment tools, and now that Octopus Deploy can do "agentless" deploys via ssh, it would make sense to enable the same support for Windows machines as well using native Windows functionality.

This would provide several potential advantages depending on the deployment infrastructure:
                    - No service needs to be running on each deployment machine
                    - No additional firewall port needs to…

4 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • allow Tentacles to only retain the current release

Currently the Tentacle retention policies keep the currently deployed release, plus a user-defined number of older releases for the client.

Since retention policies don't run until after a successful deploy, this means that there's a minimum of 2 deployed versions on each Tentacle.

I would like it if Octopus would be able to clean up the prior release once it successfully supplants it.

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow disabled or inactive an Enviroment.

Sometimes you may need to disabled the entire enviroment rather than individual machines. or at least have an option within the enviroment to disable all machines.

7 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add ability to loop a deploy step where multiple roles and role scoped variables are present

Have a scenario where I need to deploy the same package multiple times **on the same set of servers** under different custom directories and different IIS web applications. There are role scoped variables which get picked up for custom installation directory and also appsettings.

I understand that the documentation under https://octopus.com/docs/key-concepts/machine-roles clearly states:

"This means that the step will only execute on Tentacles with at least one of those roles. This does not mean that if the step is scoped to multiple roles that it will run for each role. Instead it will run that step for all machines that…

26 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Visual compare of variables between releases

There seems to be no way of comparing variables between releases. Having this feature would give confidence that only expected variable changes make it into a release

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • When creating a new release show notification if any variables changed since previous release

When creating a new release, if any variables have changed since the last release then a warning box should be shown saying that "Variables have changed since the last snapshot" and have the option to view these changes.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • UI Request - Comparing differences between process-snapshots

Frequently, when DevOps is deploying a release to Production they encounter the classic Warning:
                                --> "The deployment process has changed since this snapshot was taken."

This triggers a fire drill where dev, ops, and qa need to figure out what changed, when, and if the change is retro-actively required in previously issued releases. Generally the exercise results in dev identifying the small change and that the change is required going forward (vNext) but NOT needed last quarter's release. We have to manually download the json snapshots and load them into text diff tool. It's tedious and time consuming. It's awesome…

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Support for Kubernetes

The new Docker features debuting in recent versions of Octopus are really promising, and I'm excited by the Docker Compose RFC published late last year.

Kubernetes is becoming increasingly popular as the production deployment environment of choice for containerised applications. It offers functionality very similar to Azure Service Fabric, in terms of auto-scaling and self-healing of services and applications, but is based around container images rather than zip files.

349 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  Deployment features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • allow projects to have default tenants

i have a few projects with one tenant purely to enable easy filtering of environments and shared settings between tenant projects.

any time i deploy the project i need to select the one and only tenant to do so. would be nice if i could set that particular tenant as the default option for all deploys.

6 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Deployment Blocker

It would be nice to be able to place a blocker on a tenant or environment to highlight there may be a reason not to deploy.

I would imagine there would be a small icon over the tenant image to show this with the ability to see notes as to why.

Cheers
                                      Jimmy

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Add Let's Encrypt support to the Certificates Library functionality

I love the Let's Encrypt integration with the OD server. Setting up SSL for the server is so simple, and I don't even have to worry about renewals as this is taken care of for me.

Now imagine this same functionality for all of your IIS sites.

This is how I envision it could work

- I go to Library > Certificates > Add certificate
                                        - I'm given the option of importing a cert (i.e. the current functionality), or I can chose to use Let's Encrypt
                                        - After picking Let's Encrypt, I'm prompted for a bit of info- domain, email…

37 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Add option to run Powershell script via -Verb runAs (i.e. right click, "Run as Administrator".)

We ran into this problem because as a part of our deployment process, we need to stop a service (which isn't a part of our deployment), clear a cached file that the service was holding onto (which IS a part of our deployment), and then restart the service.

Even though the Octopus tentacle has admin rights, and can start/stop a service via the control panel (i.e. log on as the Tentacle user, open the Services cmdlet, and you can start/stop services), to do so via a *Powershell* script requires you to right click on it and selected 'Run as Administrator',…

2 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base